New Jersey

49 Signins

282 Page Views

• Views: 282
  • Message 101 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-08-07, 12:36 PM

Nonny,

In your signature you say that you do not work for Lenovo.  Is it out of line for me to ask who you do work for>  IBM?

Do you think you could suggest the correct procedure for the complete re-formatting of my computer with these discs that Lenovo sent to me?  Or should I call Lenovo Support and try to find someone who knows the details of this procedure.

Being the veteran of 1 major OS crash and huge data loss by a 'certified' PC repair facility. I know make both clones and data back ups on 2 seperate external hard drives twice a week.

I don't think I need to keep the One Key REcovery, but I would like to make a larger C: partition and use the D: partition for most data storage.  Back up or not, I think the concept is sound, and would work if the C: partition was at least 75-100GB.

What do you think.

Thanks,

AzManatHrt

Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Views: 25103
  • Message 102 of 590

2008-08-07, 13:01 PM

azmanathrt, maybe it's my lack of language knowledge but this post seemed to me a bit unpolite. maybe I'm wrong, my apologies if so.

Anyway.

I can  direct you in the right way to install your system.

So, you don't need all your data both on C and D or only on C? You want to delete service partition ? You want dual-boot configuration with Vista and XP both?

Please describe all that and create a new thread - this thread is for another type of hot discussion.

In that thread I will post all information you need, just ask right questions. Also someone else may want to jump in and suggest something.

//help will save the world
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 103 of 590

Re: Disk Partitioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-08-07, 14:35 PM

azmanathrt,

The recovery CD's sent by support were intended as media to help you with recovery in the event that your partitions were totally lost and the one key recovery solution can't be made to work.   The expectation, and I'll apologize now that it may not have been explained this way, was that support would guide you via a subsequent call (once you received the CDs).

This was intended to recover you back to the factory set up, which I believe you indicate doesn't presently meet your needs.  Officially, this is the configuration Lenovo is prepared to support.  There are other customers here in the forum - skripatch included, who can provide first hand experience and recommendations on how to change partition sizes and what tools have worked best to accomplish this.

We are working on a new, supported partition scheme which would allow for a very large C, or perhaps even a single C partition.  This is planned to be an update which will be made available to our existing customers.  It is in the works, but I don't have a firm date for release yet. 

Best regards,

Mark

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 104 of 590

2008-08-07, 15:14 PM
Dear Azmanathrt:  I hate to keep plugging the same program over and over, but you really should invest in the Paragon Partition Manager.  They also have a program called Paragon Disk Manager, that will do similar things.  I don't think you need to scrape your harddrive clean of data -- you can save the current OS and other programs installed as they are.  All you have to do is rearrange the size of each harddrive.  The partition manager will do the job, very easily and with no data loss.  It is not an expensive program, so if you are really serious about wanting to do this -- try this first before reformatting the entire harddrive just to reinstall the same programs.  There are probably other software people that produce similar programs, but this is the only one that I know and that I have used many times.  It will work.  Guaranteed.  Just don't forget to unlock the hard drive in the bios first.
Options

14 Posts

07-28-2008

New Jersey

49 Signins

282 Page Views

• Views: 282
  • Message 105 of 590

2008-08-07, 17:42 PM

Re; my last post.

JaniceJ-

Thank you the info, and considering what Mark said in his post about what those discs will do to my system, you are right about only needing to resize my partition.

Mark- Thank you for the info, I'll look for the update when it's available.

skripatch-  I have no idea why you would think my last post was impolite; maybe off topic in asking a personal question is inappropriate.  If so, my apologies to nonny and anyone else who felt offended.

I fully realize everyone is making an effort to be helpful.  I have no other opinions or helpful information to offer at this point, so I will say 'so long for now' and Thank you to all.

AzManatHrt,

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

US

23522 Signins

803300 Page Views

• Views: 803300
  • Message 106 of 590

2008-08-07, 21:41 PM

azmanathrt wrote:

In your signature you say that you do not work for Lenovo.  Is it out of line for me to ask who you do work for>  IBM?

No, I work in IT in the healthcare sector.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

36 Posts

03-08-2008

San Diego

49 Signins

365 Page Views

• Views: 365
  • Message 107 of 590

2008-08-08, 0:50 AM

I had a major crash with my Y510, and my data was still on the D: drive after I recovered.  My problem was that I encrypted the critical data, so now, after the recovery, Vista can't see it.  And all of the program files I loaded on the D: are now worthless, because I don't have a registry backup to support them.

But here's the kicker, I could've recovered from my crash.  If, and only if, Lenovo didn't take out the Vista recovery and disk repair feature in the OEM Vista disk that is included.  To save a few $$ I suspect.  After I did a Novo (regrets, regrets, regrets) I had to limewire the Vista utility, which I later found out would have saved me grief and loss of data.  Oh, guess what was free and clear to copy off too after the Novo?  Ding, ding, ding! All of my data.

As far as logic goes, here's where I'm at a loss as to why C: is so small.  Vista, doesn't actually delete files when you do a copy and paste, from one drive to another.  It just keeps bloating with recovery images.   I'm no computer Engineer, but bearing this little fact in mind . . .  Why is Vista on a 30GB partition again? 

Thanks Lenovo :smileyvery-happy: !!

Message Edited by boostedone on 08-07-2008 06:03 PM
Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Message 108 of 590

2008-08-08, 6:45 AM

boostedone, here's a little tip for you.

Your case made me think about fact I didn't mention before - about encryption. In theory, since encryption uses unique keys for every account, and even if you create another account with same name and same Windows license key on another computer it will be not the same and encryption key will be different.

BUT.

Restoring from an image restores a right account, so you do not lose encryption key.

I'm not sure whether image in restore partition is made of that Vista that installed on HDD, so they may differ. Seems that to not lose your encryption key, the first thing you must do after unpacking a box with recieved new notebook is restoring OS from hidden partition - in this case future recovery procedures will allow you to keep encrypte files.

It would be nice if someone can perform this and confirm success... As soon as I have time I will perform that by myself - it will near a week since I'm busy a bit right now. So, if someone can perform that earlier - it would be greatly appreciated.

Options

31 Posts

03-17-2008

Albania

47 Signins

291 Page Views

• Views: 291
  • Message 109 of 590

2008-08-08, 11:24 AM

Hi,

I see there are already 9 pages on this particular thread and I haven't read all of them, so forgive me if I say something that has been said before

. I have been using the y510 for about 6 months without much problem. But like everyone else I notice that my C drive is filling up. I keep all my data on D, and when I install new programs I also put them on the D drive. Still,  my C drive is quite full and when you consider new windows updates it seems like an untenable situation. I currently have only 2.9 gb free  space on this drive (there are still a few progams I can take out and reinstall on D and get a bit more space), but I am worried whether I can continue to operate with the C drive so full.

Is there an easy way to fix everything up (I would hate to have to spend a lot of time on a fix that could be time consuming and also risk screwing up the computer). Also from the Lenovo side, I would like to know what the solution will be for existing users: will we have to take in the machines for service or what?

Thanks 

Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Message 110 of 590

2008-08-08, 11:59 AM

dveda, there're some ways you can easily free space on disk C.

Firstly change location and size of pagefile (swapfile).

That can be performed in Start-> Control panel-> System settings-> Advanced

Secondly, empty temp folders - cpress Win+R, type %temp%, press enter.

Also you can delete backups of updates.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete