07-24-2008

U.S.

12 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 111 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-08-08, 13:52 PM
there're some ways you can easily free space on disk C.

Firstly change location and size of pagefile (swapfile).

That can be performed in Start-> Control panel-> System settings-> Advanced

I don't see "pagefile (swapfile)" on the path you gave. I've looked under every tab in the Advanced Settings. Can you be more specific?

Options

14 Posts

07-24-2008

U.S.

12 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 112 of 590

2008-08-08, 13:54 PM
janicej -- just wanted to say thanks for plugging the partition apps. I've ordered Partition Commander Professional 10 -- I have no idea how to use it but hopefully, this will free up some space in the Cdrive, as you've advised.
Options

31 Posts

03-17-2008

Albania

47 Signins

291 Page Views

• Views: 291
  • Message 113 of 590

2008-08-08, 14:07 PM
   Secondly, empty temp folders - cpress Win+R, type %temp%, press enter.
what is  cpress  etc. ?
Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 114 of 590

2008-08-08, 16:42 PM
Dear Taw -- You're welcome!  I have used  Partition Commander some years ago.  The copies that I have are so outmoded (Win95) that they will not work on my current setups.  However, when I did use this program, I found it to be very helpful.  At the time it did not allow repartitioning with preservation of data, but I am sure they must do this now.  I used it mainly to set up more than one type of operating system at the time.  Anyway, good luck.  I know you will appreciate your "bigger" harddrive.  I do.
Options

14 Posts

07-28-2008

New Jersey

49 Signins

282 Page Views

• Views: 282
  • Message 115 of 590

2008-08-08, 17:31 PM

Dveda,

I think it is a typo and he means PRESS.  If you press the Windows key(which is ususally on the top right of a laptop keyboard and has the Windows logo, and the R key at the same time, it simpy opens the Run command, which you can also access in the usual way, from the start button.

AzManatHrt

Good luck

Options

6 Posts

08-09-2008

New York

8 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 116 of 590

2008-08-09, 23:05 PM

Ok, I submit that i am a green horn and i am quite embarrased that much of what you people are talking about is greek to me.  I am yet another unhappy camper of this partitioning thing.  If someone has explicit step by step directions (for knuckleheads) on how to move some of my programs and files to the D drive and how to make the computer look to the D drive  for all my stuff  it would be appreciated very very much.  I just need this to work and ASAP.

I have no time for this computer management stuff.  I know how to use it and save a file to the hard drive or a disk.  I just want the computer to do it's job,  locate folders and programs and run.  Look folks, i have enough knowledge to know that, I don't know what i don't know.  So i don't even know what i am asking is correct.  You Know? ;)  

What should I load on the C drive anyway???  now i have t take everything off it?  If this has been written already, can someone point me to this?  Thanks so much in advance.

Mike Scarchilli

Options

132 Posts

08-03-2008

Montréal, Canada

888 Signins

8002 Page Views

• Views: 8002
  • Message 117 of 590

2008-08-09, 23:24 PM

In order to map the "My Documents", "My Pictures", etc. folders to another drive, first create the folder that you want to use to hold the new folder.

For example to move the My Documents folder to the D: partition, first navigate to D drive and create a folder called My Documents by right clicking on a blank space and go to New -> Folder.

Now, open the start menu and right click on the Documents folder and choose Properties. Go the Location tab and click on Move. Go to the D drive and find the folder youjust created and select it. 

Your "My Documents" Folder is now located at D:/My Documents.

This could be done for the other "My" folders as well.

To move your programs would be more difficult. The best way is to uninstall all of the programs by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall a Program, then reinstall the program when prompted. Many installations contain options such as express installs or typical installs. Don't use these. Instead do a customized install and they will most likely offer you the option to choose where you want your program to be installed. Simply change the C: to D: at the beginning of the location and the program should be installed on the D: partition. Note that many programs will still write small amounts of data to the C drive, but they shouldn't amount to much.

As for the usage of C drive, I'd say try not to use it if possible. Leave the extra space for your system and other operations (eg the space required to write the image when burning a DVD if you didn't change your %temp% folder). Install all programs to D and put all of your files on D. This not only leaves a happy C drive but also minimizes your losses when you have to use the Novo key to wipe the C drive.

Options

6 Posts

08-09-2008

New York

8 Signins

49 Page Views

• Message 118 of 590

2008-08-10, 2:22 AM

Thank You Plutos,

Man, what would i do with out coming here? Call the Geek Squad?  I will give it a shot on my own and do as you suggest.  I do have one more question though.  It seems people have been putting emphasis on not changing the partitioning or what ever, to not mess with the Leovo key which cleans up the C drive....but what about th D drive now that you put all your eggs in that basket,  if something happens there, what will clean that ???

Like I said, I don't Know  what i don't know.  Thanks for helping out.

Mike

Options

132 Posts

08-03-2008

Montréal, Canada

888 Signins

8002 Page Views

• Views: 8002
  • Message 119 of 590

2008-08-10, 4:11 AM
Most often, fatal failures occur within the OS rather than on the programs installed on the OS. Failures with the programs could easily be isolated using the OS that is hopefully still stabe. Failures with the OS however may require more extensive fixes as all of your programs depend on it to run. So it's quite unlikely for your D: drive to fail due to software problems. However, hardware problems could still impact your whole hard drive. If possible, I'd recommend to keep a regular backups of your important files (not necessarily programs as those could be reinstalled) on another hard drive. If you don't have another hard drive available, DVD backups aren't bad either.
Options

6 Posts

08-09-2008

New York

8 Signins

49 Page Views

• Message 120 of 590

2008-08-10, 9:34 AM

Thank You ,Thank You.  That realy made sense to an "expert novice" like me.   I will be trying what you said ticheoday. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Thanks again for sharing.

Mike

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete