803300 Page Views

• Views: 803300
  • Message 122 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-08-10, 14:30 PM

MikeScarchilli wrote:
Wowwww,  spell check please???

Welcome to the forum!

?? Spell check is available in the reply window.  Look just below the Message Subject line.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

24 Posts

08-11-2008

Brasil

137 Signins

713 Page Views

• Views: 713
  • Message 123 of 590

2008-08-11, 1:28 AM

I'm sorry if this has been answered already but this is a long thread and I can't seem to find anything about my question in it...

Can you customize the recovery to your liking? I mean, instead of pressing the Novo button and being restored to how it was out of the factory, I would like to install more programs that would also be included in the recovery.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Options

1 Posts

08-12-2008

United States

2 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 124 of 590

2008-08-12, 15:45 PM

I just received my Y510 recently.  

The default Windows partition that came with this was 188GB on the C drive and 27.1GB on the D drive.  I'm not a fan of that partition scheme and would like to reinstall and repartition from scratch.  However, there was no Vista Recovery disc that came with the laptop.  I have the Vista drivers and the Lenovo applications disc, but no recovery disc.

I've heard of some people who've received the recovery disc and others who didn't.  Is there a number I can call to get this disc?  Why doesn't this come standard with every laptop?  While conceptually sound, the OneKey recovery is not flexible enough to meet my reinstallation and repartitioning needs.

Thanks.

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 125 of 590

2008-08-12, 16:05 PM

Dear KMagic.  You're lucky.  Try a 29GB C drive!  Go to the Paragon software site run by Digital River and purchase its Paragon Partition Manager, or its Hard Disk Manager and you will be able to make your disk any size you like without losing the programs and operating system that is on it.  I don't work for these people, I just use their products and I can attest that they work well.  You can download the program with your computer, or order a disk.

Lenovo is apparently trying hard to please everyone and I guess this large C drive is one attempt.  It was not my solution either.

I made (readjusted) my C drive 66 GB, which should be large enough for numerous programs and an active pagefile.sys.  I felt I needed more room on the D drive to make backups and to organize my data files.  I also use a USB harddrive for backups and data files.   The Paragon programs also have backup facilities in them.  Before you use these partition programs, or any partition program, you must go into the bios (F2) and unlock the harddrive by resetting the passwords  for the supervisor and harddrive.  Be sure to write these passwords down or you might find yourself in big trouble when you can't remember them.  I did not try to manipulate the partitions with Vista after I reset the passwords - you might also try this first, but I can't guarantee it will work without destroying everything on the partitions.  Hope this will help.

Options

3 Posts

08-17-2008

US

6 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 126 of 590

2008-08-17, 3:05 AM

Hi all,

I bought the IdeaPad Y510 with a 320 GB hdd. Now the C drive was partitioned to hold 250GB and the D drive held 27 GB. But since I wanted to store a large amount of important data (which might be lost if the Windows partition gets corrupted), I used the Vista disk management tool to shrink the C drive to about 150 GB and create a new 100GB drive, named F. Now I am not sure if this will make my warranty null and void. When I tried using the OneKey restore feature today, it didn't work. My questions are

1. If I can delete the partition F and add it partition C again, will the One Key recovery work ?

2. Lenovo did not provide me with a Win Vista recovery DVD. How can I restore/recover my OS in case it gets corrupted and the OneKey doesn't work ?

3. There was no information about disk partitioning creating problems for the recovery feature in the OneKey user manual. Why? I had to find it out after partitioning and trying to use the OneKey feature, when the manual coud have had a simple warnng.

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 127 of 590

2008-08-17, 17:52 PM
Dear Ezhiik: Others must be off for the weekend. If you read many of the previous posts, I think you will be able to figure out how to solve your problem. No. 1 -- call Lenovo and ask them for operation system disks. they should provide this to you at a minimum. When I purchased mine, they were provided. no. 2 -- apparently they are still using an image backup system to do the one-step recovery. If this is true, and it is limited to the exact size of the original c partition, that is the only way you will be able to restore it. I take it that Vista completely wrote over your original C drive when you changed the partition sizes. Why else would you care whether the backup facility worked or not? There are other programs out there (I mentioned one in previous posts) that will move partition borders (resize the partitions) without disturbing the data. You should have used one of these. With the new partitions, establish your own space for backing up the operating system C partition -- and, do it regularly once per week or so to keep up with your changes. This is far preferrable to the one-step recovery which will only take you back to the original programs, many of which you no longer need or want. Don't worry about the warranty -- your computer is only good for a few years before it has to be upgraded anyway. Save extra large files on an exterior USB harddrive -- they are dead cheap for about 500GB -- get one with 7200rpm though, for speed. You can also backup to these drives.... many are "hot pluggable", so you can plug and unplug them as you need. Lennovo does not seem to be able to "size" up its customers, apparently. I hope they get their problems worked out soon. My C drive was only 29GB, which was TOO, TOO small for me. I resized my harddrive with Paragon Partition Manager and have never looked back -- didn't destroy the Vista operating system either. I am now in the middle of building my computer to work for me... I use many, large programs, so 29GB was not very useful for me.
Message Edited by janicej on 08-17-2008 10:55 AM
Options

6 Posts

08-09-2008

New York

8 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 128 of 590

2008-08-18, 1:57 AM

Hi, can you tell me where to purchase this Paragon Partitioning program?  It seems that i have moved all my files off that i could and i only have less than 5 gigs left of storage.  Don't  know what takes so much space, my last computer only had a 20 gig hard drive and eventually got too filled up.  It seems in a couple of months the 29 gigs was done and had to remove files o the D drive. Doing this has come at a price of almost losing all my documents as i screwed up .  Luckily i did a back up. Please let us know where to buy this.  I could give a hoot about the 1 step restore.  If you do your back ups, then this should not matter if in the case you have to restore.....

Thanks

Mike

Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Views: 25103
  • Message 129 of 590

2008-08-18, 4:54 AM
MikeScarchilli, read this through - it will help to understand how to deal with lack of space on HDD.
//help will save the world
Options

3 Posts

08-17-2008

US

6 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 130 of 590

2008-08-18, 5:23 AM

hello janicej - I used the Windows disk manager to "shrink" the volume of drive C and then allocated the remaining space as another drive, which is F. i am not sure if this is the resizing, but this sure is all the resizing that i did.  I have no problem with the partitioning as my system works perfectly. The only problem is that when I want to restore the operating system, something that I paid for as a part of the machine , I won't be able to do it cos its hidden somewhere in the hard drive. And I am not used to taking backups as I always store important data on another partition other than the OS partition, just to be safe. So my only use for the OneKey recovery is to restore the operating system, which has been defeated now just because I changed the partitions. Obviously Lenovo did not think I will leave all my data on a single partition at the mercy of the operating system, did they ? As for the OS recovery DVD...to think that I might have to shell out money for what I should have rightfully got in the first place with no strings attached... :smileymad:

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete