07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 131 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-08-18, 15:00 PM

Dear MikeScarchilli:  try the following URL for the paragon software:  www.paragon-software.com.  You should see reference to the Paragon Partition Manager right on the first page.  This s a fairly easy program to use and once you become familar with how it operates, you will be happy that you bought it.  It even has a backup system with it.

Dear EZhilk:  I can sympathize with your problems, but you really should learn how to make backups of your entire C drive.  This is, in fact, what Lenovo has done.  They make an image of the drive (backup) as they originally set it up.  For this reason, when you push the one-step button, all of YOUR new programs and data will be wiped out and you will have the orginal setup sans everything else.  This is why I recommend that you make your own image backup to a place on your drive (a special partition?) on a regular basis.  You can do your own recovery, more up-to-date, when you crash your operating system.  No need to depend on the one-step recovery process.  Also, insist on getting an operating system disk for either XP or Vista from Lenovo -- they owe this to you, in my opinion.  It would be a shame that you would have to buy one.  Too bad that you ruined the system files when you partitioned.    If you have a system disk, you can often reinstall the operating system without affecting your files when you have a system glitch.  If you use the one-step image recovery, you will lose everything, because it is an image.

Options

16 Posts

08-18-2008

US

24 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 132 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature. I had to use it with my brand new Y510...

2008-08-18, 18:31 PM

Dear community member,

First of all, my apologies if you think this posting does not belong here, butI hope you can help me with my dilemma. I received my brand new Y510 from Lenovo 2 days ago.  I started Vista, went through the motions registering myself, browsing, checking my email, playing some music and videos (no new sw installation), and then turned it off.  Two days later I try to start the computer again and after the Windows screen I get an error message leading to a disk check.  I call Lenovo support and they tell me to try the OneKey Recovery button which seems to work.

My dilemma is, do I keep the computer assuming that this was a one-time-only glitch?  Or do I return the computer because I should anticipate that this problem will recur again in the near future? (bad hard drive?).  Having read several of the pages here I can see that I don't want to continually use the onekey button loosing my sw installs, and potentially my data.  Also I don't have the option to keep on experimenting for a month to see if this was a one-time event because I am taking the computer with me outside the US (I live in South America) and Lenovo tells me that this computer does not have an "international" warranty.   Lenovo technical support tells me that my problem was software and not hardware, but I don't see what I did to create this software problem.

Please give me your expert opinion.  What do you think Mark_Lenovo?

Thank you.

Options

1 Posts

08-20-2008

Shreveport, LA

2 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 133 of 590

News on partition Update..

2008-08-20, 18:19 PM
Hi Mark, Any news on the Lenovo partition update? Is it for sure in the works? Thank You very much!!
Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Views: 25103
  • Message 134 of 590

Re: News on partition Update..

2008-08-20, 19:29 PM

Mark, sorry for worrying you, but could you plese look into your PM?

Thanks in advance, 

Sergej.

//help will save the world
Options

14 Posts

07-28-2008

New Jersey

49 Signins

282 Page Views

• Views: 282
  • Message 135 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature. I had to use it with my brand new Y510...

2008-08-20, 21:51 PM

Dear Butron,

I did that a couple of times...I think what you are doing is pressing the Novo button instead of the power button below it.  That causes the computer to start up in 'restore mode' instead of a regular start-up.  All you have to do is day no to restore and it will start normally.

I think this button should have a cover over it a like the trigger on an F-16 fighters heat seeking missiles!

Good luck

Options

7 Posts

08-20-2008

Michigan

4 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 136 of 590

2008-08-20, 22:32 PM

Mark, I beg to differ.  What you have described is the exact opposite as my configuration...  Can someone tell me where I should be storing my documents, images, music, etc?

I have 83.5 GB in Drive C and 27.1GB in Drive D

did I get a defect?

Options

16 Posts

08-18-2008

US

24 Signins

165 Page Views

• Message 137 of 590

2008-08-21, 4:29 AM

Thank you azmanarthrt.  That is a good hypotheses.  I did not observe the problem since I reported so I will assume that something like this happened.  I will keep it and cross my fingers.

As for aschmidu's observation regarding the sizes of C and D, my computer (which has a 250GB disk) also has a C drive that is more than three times the size of D.  I have no idea what makes Lenovo decide how to allocate these sizes.  Their instructions don't give any explanations or recommendations of what they have in mind.

Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Views: 25103
  • Message 138 of 590

2008-08-21, 6:24 AM

butron, aschmidu,

This partitioning was made by Lenovo due to amount of people that do not want to know how to place things on C partition and cry around that they don't want to know how to operate their notebook, just want to use it.

Sounds not smart, but it is exact what they are saying.

You both may say thanks to that people.

On the other hand, Lenovo could make just a special software which allows to repartition HDD without losing NOVO.

And do not ask Mark for that - he is not the one that responcible. He is trying to help as hard as possible.

//help will save the world
Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 139 of 590

2008-08-21, 15:43 PM

Dear Skripatch --  Understand you have problem with English as a second language, but you seem to have the cause and effect of the original criticism on partition sizes a little backwards.  It was the SMALL C drive that originally came with one-step recovery process, and the use of an image for restoration into that small partition, that was the problem.  No one has since advised, or requested, that Lenovo make the C (or operational drive) larger than the D drive (to be used for storage, backups etc.).  This was their own new solution to the original problem.  All that is needed for a good operational C drive is to have room for several large programs and for the working memory area..... the latter being critical for fast processing.  There was no need to make it more than half of the entire drive.  In the past, some companies (Dell, etc.) have provided recovery disks that access the hidden parition and Vista etc. files  to use in recovery -- they were not images, but the actual installation programs.  These companies should have provided system disks so that you could do it yourself, IMO.   If you use an operation system disk for recovery (reinstall, as it were),other  programs and data files will not be destroyed.  All this aside -- the 29GB "C" drive (partition) was impossible, requiring much manipulation of the registry and other commands to remove windows files to the D drive.  This was insane, beyond the capacity of many people to carry out -- and, in the end, completely useless since the application of the one-step image destroyed the registry and system32 drivers etc.... making your programs, carefully installed on "D" (to relieve room on the too small "C"), completely useless.   Unless you can convince Microsoft to completely redesign their system file organization, you are fighting a losing battle trying to circumvent the inevitable.  Just common sense to make the "C" partition just a little bigger.

How big is the question some people are having now.  From my years of computer experience, I have come to believe that an 80GB drive is just perfect....perhaps even a little too generous... but, this offers plenty of room for "growth".  I lived with 40GB "C" drives, but found that the pagefile became considerably compromised over time with the addtion of all my programs and the data files (My documents, etc) that Microsoft insists on collecting there.   It became a pain removing them, even though I meticulously back these up on a routine basis.  The other solution, and perhaps one that might be acceptable to others, is to make the entire drive one big partition, except for the backup area that would contain images of  the operating files as well as your data and programs.  I save most of my data files on DVDs and Cds, or on an exterior harddrive (Fanthom 500 GB drive).  I consider anything kept on the one drive in my notebook computer as a potential loss someday -- drives are known to fail, you know.... and, that includes all the partitions on them.... D or C, or E, or??  I have successfully repartitioned my Lenovo to the sizes that I like, and am very happy with its operation.  I even like Vista, so far, which I was all set up to find fault with (I am a Windows 2000 fan).  I suggest that each person here do the same thing.  Lenovo can't soothsay for each individual.  It tried what it thought was a great recovery solution for "beginners" that are not able to reinstall operation systems, but I think it failed miserably with the first attempt.  These new formating efforts don't seem to be working very well either.  And, by the way, I did put a tape across that one-step button -- I could see a mistake could be easily made.

Options

16 Posts

08-18-2008

US

24 Signins

165 Page Views

• Message 140 of 590

2008-08-21, 18:40 PM
Amen Janice.  Thank you.  One quick question: when you allocate 80G for C, is your practice to store programs/applications in C and data in D? or do you try to install all programs in D?  Thanks.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete