03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Views: 25103
  • Message 141 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-08-21, 18:47 PM

janicej, thanks for understanding my inevitable language skill lack. Good for you that you've repartitioned your HDD as you like. Many people do not understand whether they need it or not. Every solution on system recovery has it's benefits and loses. Sometimes it's about time to waste, somtimes about convenience and sometimes - about required knowledge.

It's really sad that Lenovo reacted that way and made that update. It's sad that users do not want to know more on subject. It's obvious that in future you'll need to know more and more about IT because it's coming to be a part of our life that will take more important place in it after time.

This material written by me, as I already promised, will take 15 minutes to read and I hope it to be helpfull in understanding partitioning issues.

Hope it is  my last answer in this thread. It must be locked IMO, but this is none of my business.

//help will save the world
Options

16 Posts

08-18-2008

US

24 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 142 of 590

2008-08-21, 19:33 PM

Scripatch,

Thank you for the material you posted; I did find it helpful.  Of course, the need to reduce the size of C has dissappeared for me and many others that bought a Lenovo with the C partition much larger than the D.  So I think that some of your material is not relevant to recent buyers of Lenove.  I think that the solution that will satisfy everyone is the one that Mark promised, i.e. for Lenovo to give us the ability to resize the partitions without loosing the ability to keep the Novo button alive.  Personally, I would like to repartition as per Janice's practice (including periodic backups of my disk), and keep the Novo button around for peace of mind and for an ultimate emergency restore which I hope I will never have to use.  With 250GB of storage I can afford to keep all of these options around.... at least for now.

Options

8 Posts

08-04-2008

USA

32 Signins

207 Page Views

• Views: 207
  • Message 143 of 590

2008-08-21, 20:34 PM
My Y510 had the new larger C: partition out of the box whihc will work just fine for me.  Using Acronis TrueImage Home 11, I have been able to retain the Novo function to restore to the original config and have Acronis do routine image updates to it's Secure zone.  I have successfully restored using both Novo and Acronis Recovery Manager.   The OneKey Recovery feature is nice, but the fact that the image cannot be updated makes it somewhat of a last resort.  Acronis will allow you to backup to a recent image and do a one-key (F11) recovery on startup.  And, by using a recent imnage, you would not be limited to the standard C: partion configuration as you are with hte Novo button.  So, now I can recover to a recent image or go all the way back to sytem day one with just a few keystrokes.
Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 144 of 590

2008-08-21, 21:29 PM
Dear Butron -- I try to install all programs on C since that is where the registry and drivers reside for these programs.  I also try not to store any data on C except for those contrived by the Windows system itself.   But even some of these (my documents etc), I eventually move for safe keeping elsewhere, if they are worth keeping.  There are some files not worth moving around and are better left on the C drive -- like all the internet history, working records and duplicates that Windows deposits.  It is usually my multitude of programs that take up the space on the C drive.   Some of these programs also insist on storing and working on the C drive too, tho I try to direct them elsewhere when I can.    I tend to work on a number of differing projects (photos, movies, databases for commodity analyses etc. etc.)throughout the week, so I need my suite of essential programs handy where ever I happen to be.  I purchased a Lenovo with only a 180G drive, so I plan on removing my finished projects frequently to media outside of this computer.  Anyway, the "D" drive is a good temporary deposit site for many of my larger data files, and is also useful  to store an image backup file to use when my "C" drive ties up and becomes unusable  (not that it ever happens!  HAH!). 
Options

81 Posts

03-28-2008

Clinton, NY

548 Signins

6864 Page Views

• Views: 6864
  • Message 145 of 590

2008-08-21, 22:36 PM

post deleted by myself for respect to MOST members.

Message Edited by mikepasta on 08-21-2008 08:01 PM
Beer... It does a body good!
Options

3 Posts

08-25-2008

Colorado

7 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 146 of 590

Re: Disk Partitioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-08-25, 4:12 AM

It's all been said already....the partitioned HD has caused problems for many. 

My 30 G C: drive has only 29 M left on it...needless to say nothing is working very well.  All that is on it is was was on original load and anything the OS automatically sends to C: drive, and whatever various apps that are loaded on D: drive need to use C: drive for to run.  Anything we have loaded we have loaded on D: drive if we were given the option to do that.  

I'm glad to hear a solution is in the works.  Can you please let us know how we will be notified when it is ready and how to get it?

Which of the many kind suggestions on this forum can we use and still be able to use Lenovo's solution when it is available:

Direct user files/folders to D: drive

Change the C: drive to a larger partition (80G?) using partition magic or the like

Anything else that will allow us to temporarily use the computer?

Thanks much!

Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Message 147 of 590

2008-08-25, 6:43 AM

catmama13, yes, here's a guide.

Mark, I'll PM you again - my previous PM seems to be lost. Thanks.

Options

3 Posts

08-25-2008

Colorado

7 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 148 of 590

2008-08-26, 17:03 PM
Thanks for taking the time to put this together.  I will read through and make some changes based on your suggestions.  Do keep us informed if there are any updates on the status on Lenovo solutions in the works.
Options

10 Posts

08-02-2008

Toronto Ontario Canada

22 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 149 of 590

2008-08-27, 14:01 PM
Thank you skripatch for your brief but most comprehensive explanation, in simple terms, of (for me) a complex situation. I have a Y710 with the small "C" and large "D". While I can certainly function and enjoy my machine with this set up, I really am not too comfortable with it. In light of your explanation, I will leave everything "as is" until Lenovo comes out with a "fix". But, could I ask, please, for an opinion? Could a prankster/friend? push my NOVO button and wipe me out while my head is turned away answering the telephone? Or, can someone remotely access my NOVO function via the internet? I just wish to know if I should start to be more prudent when using my new IdeaPad. Thank you for your help. Ciao!
Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Message 150 of 590

2008-08-27, 14:14 PM

nicklapenna, you can easily prevent that.

To use NOVO as a wiper/restorer you need to turn off notebook. Then you must turn it on by pressing NOVO button. 

there's a setting in your BIOS that is called "HDD password" - it is in "Security" tab.

It enables password protecting of your HDD. It is not the same as Windows password or BIOS password - it's internal HDD feature.

So even if someone takes your HDD out of case and tries to access it on another computer - he will not be able to do anything with it. Until that person is an IT professional and knows how to break it - this requires deep knowledges in HDD operating. 

Also this password makes BIOS to ask a password before NOVO starts. All data protected. Congratulations.

But there's also a minor issue to mention - if you use such a password, you'll have to enter it every time you turn on your notebook. 

It's a paycheck for high level of safety.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete