Options

13 Posts

08-18-2008

US

24 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 152 of 590

Lots of good advice from skripatch and janicej but, as far as I am concerned,...

2008-08-27, 21:16 PM
... having the novo button so easily accessible (and easy to confuse with) next to the power button is a VERY, VERY poor design.  I am convinced that someone in my family pressed novo by mistake and wiped out my C disk (see one of my previous postings).  I am keeping my ideapad, but I am also covering this button with a hard mica so it "never" gets pressed again.  Using novo should be the absolutely last resort as several have explained before.  Personally, I hope I never have to use it (I plan to do regular backups of my updated C: drive), but I will keep its functionality there only for peace of mind.
Options

79 Posts

03-28-2008

Clinton, NY

548 Signins

6864 Page Views

• Views: 6864
  • Message 153 of 590

Re: Lots of good advice from skripatch and janicej but, as far as I am concerned,...

2008-08-27, 21:53 PM

Good thinking butron. The absolute BEST back-up is an external back-up of your HDD. Please make sure you keep it updated. You should back up your documents, music, pictures, etc. more frequently. There are some here who say that the Novo OneKey is the best. I disagree. It doesn't take into account the possibility of a HDD crash when it happens. There are two types of HDD failures: those that have already happened and those that will happen, and I promise you that it will happen. Novo does absolutely nothing for a HDD failure except lead you into a false sense of security thinking your data are safe. (And yes, "are safe" is grammatically correct :smileywink: )

Novo is ONLY good if your OS crashes and you have to restore it to factory original without affecting your Documents folder, unfortunately you still have to reinstall all of the other programs you installed after you bought the computer because Windows will NEVER install exactly the same way twice. There will always be hiccups with each reinstallation. Anybody who has ever reinstalled any version of Windows knows this. If I have to restore my system, I conect my HDD and restore the image, which is no more than 7 days old. (Documents are backed up nightly) No other installation issues! What a concept!! Now, if I want to restore back to factory default, I just pop in the Lenovo/MS Windows Vista Home Premium DVD that came with my system.

I personally would like to have the Novo OneKey work like a one step back-up button once my external drive is connected ('cause I'm too lazy to click the mouse a couple of times!) :smileyvery-happy:

I personally like my Y510 and have had nothing but good luck with it (except for the speaker placement/sound image issue "problem" which has yet to be addressed:smileysad: ). I hope all of you with problems get them fixed and never have a problem again!

Cheers!

Message Edited by mikepasta on 08-27-2008 05:54 PM
Message Edited by mikepasta on 08-27-2008 05:55 PM
Message Edited by mikepasta on 08-27-2008 09:59 PM
Beer... It does a body good!
Options

2316 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Views: 25103
  • Message 154 of 590

Re: Lots of good advice from skripatch and janicej but, as far as I am concerned,...

2008-08-28, 11:26 AM

burton, most of people's probles come from their lack of knowledge.

Lack of knowledge comes from lack of instructions.

Instructions are written in a guide.

What causes people not to read guide - I don't know...

It's clearly written in your guide (it is bundled with all notebooks) that before restoring, NOVO asks two times whether you're sure that C will be wiped.

So called "danger" comes not from NOVO but from people that act first and only then begin to think. 

Cars are also a danger if a man doesn't know how to drive it.

mikepasta, I also think that NOVO button shoud have mode in which you can create your own backup. I am not telling that NOVO is best way, but it helps to economy time. Read an important thread ad the top of Ideapad section please.

//help will save the world
Options

13 Posts

07-24-2008

U.S.

12 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 155 of 590

2008-08-28, 11:50 AM

wrote:

So called "danger" comes not from NOVO but from people that act first and only then begin to think. 

This may be accurate but what's the value of humiliating the questioner? We come here for technical assistance, not to be told - in so many words - that we are fools!

Options

2316 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Message 156 of 590

2008-08-28, 12:18 PM

Who says that I meant the author of question?

If you read that carefully you will see that it is about people that do first and then think. If you think that it was about you or about questioner - that means that You think that you're a man that acts and only then thinks. Not me.

For example, my sister formatted my HDD once - she is such a person. Since that she always thinks before doing a thing.Especially on my computer :robothappy:

Also, technical help is given here, don't you agree?

If people'd read manuals it will prevent many unwanted situations.

Options

13 Posts

08-18-2008

US

24 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 157 of 590

2008-08-28, 19:17 PM

I stick to my opinion that the location of the Novo button shows very poor design.  Whether a sister or a young daughter, or whatever, it is too easy to press that button and create a potential disaster.  I am not going to argue whether having a "novo" button with the functionality it has is a good idea or a bad idea.  I will leave that to others to debate, but its location is BAD design.

By the way, while I am not a "Windows partition" expert, I have worked in the computer industry for more than 30 years.  And I definitely consider myself bright and knowledgeable.  Yet, like most people, I don't like to read instructions either!

Enough said.

CLARIFICATION:  I am not upset or offended.  I love the debate and this forum has been very helpful to me. Thanks to all, specially janice and skritpatch.

Options

2316 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Message 158 of 590

2008-08-28, 20:20 PM

butron, thanks for understanding me in the right light.

Well, I can't agree that it's design is bad, especially if to keep in mind that mostly notebook is in work when it is opened and if it is in work - NOVO acts like a power manager swither, which is very convinient due to the desighn.

Anyway, it's matter of taste :robothappy:

I do like reading instructions, but it mostly looks like listing them through if they can't tell anything interesting or new.

Thanks for your opinion and mood.

Options

14 Posts

09-03-2008

Singapore

15 Signins

132 Page Views

• Views: 132
  • Message 159 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-09-03, 12:38 PM

Sorry, I'm not sure if this question relate to this thread. but anyway,

I got 2 partition C and D drive, so if I click on the Recover Factory Backup in the Lenovo Rescue System, will the D drive data be gone as well? Cause I intend to reformat my system using this method.

Recover Factory Backup : Recover the computer system partition (drive C) to the state which exists before delivery.

NOTE: After this operation, all existing data in the system partition will be lost, and other partitions on the disk will keep unchanged.

Options

2316 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Message 160 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-09-03, 12:58 PM
b0ib0ii, your data on D drive will be OK.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete