Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

05-06-2008

United States

180 Signins

337 Page Views

• Views: 337
  • Message 221 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-12-01, 23:28 PM

Hello Mark,

Donna Meadows here again. This had nothing to do with anything that is being discussed.

I just need a number or some way to get ahold of Terry McCarthy.

I have called every Lenovo # I can and can't get him.

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME?

we have been in contact before but the num's I got don't work now.

Donna Meadows

Options

27 Posts

12-05-2008

Austin, Texas, USA

111 Signins

724 Page Views

• Views: 724
  • Message 222 of 590

2008-12-05, 2:55 AM

wrote:

Hi there !!

So, firt of all, sorry for my english but I'm french. :smileyvery-happy:

I'm an owner of the lenovo ideapad s10, and I would like to know if it is possible to have everything concerning the recovery on an usb key.

I would like to have an usb key on which one I can boot and start the recovery process (and not from the hidden partition of the harddrive). As you noticed, there is no cd burner on the s10...and well, this hidden partition...hmm...not very practice if you decide to install an other OS.

Or maybe is there a chance to have this (the recovery system) on an iso that we can download and burn it on a cd ? it will be more simple for us, and with that we can reinstall our system 10times a day if we wanted !!! (well we have to find an external cd burner...but well !)

The perfect solution would be : -the recovery file on an iso and -the possiblity to boot from an usb drive !!!! :smileytongue: Someting like that exist ?

Thank you !!

hello and welcome.  I just received my new S10 (blue).  I have exactly the same ideas as you.  Here is what I have done so far:

1)  download the trial of Virtual CD from http://www.virtualcd-online.com and install it

2)  create a Virtual CD/DVD Burner on Drive F (you have to change the type)

3)  Run OneKey Recovery and make a backup

4)  Run OneKey Recovery and choose to "create Recovery Disk" -- point it to the virtual burner drive -- this will create a set of files adding up to a little over 4GB

5)  Move these files to another machine with a DVD burner

6)  Install Virtual CD on the other machine

7)  Run Virtual CD and choose to Convert to ISO image, with the source being the .vc8 file created in step 4.  The ISO will be over 4GB in size. 

8)  Burn the .iso file to a DVD.  Make sure you do "verify" to make sure it's good (you don't want to be stuck with bad media if you ever need this).

I have another Lenovo ThinkPad laptop and I tried booting the Recovery DVD on it just to make sure it works.  Apparently it does, it booted into a Windows environment of some kind (it came from Microsoft) and gave me lots of options to proceed. 

Now, I have a recovery DVD.  If I ever want to use it, I can buy/borrow a USB DVD drive and boot from it... or I can buy an 8GB USB key and figure out how to put the bootable Recovery DVD onto it.  (I think the MagicISO program would help me with this).

What I am going to do now is repartition my drive to eliminate the C: and D:, combining them into one large partition, but I am NOT going to delete the restore partition yet, just to be safe. 

Options

12 Posts

12-06-2008

Asheville, NC USA

48 Signins

334 Page Views

• Views: 334
  • Message 223 of 590

2008-12-06, 20:36 PM

All, just got my Y530 with 320GB disk.  Check disk parititions and am worried by results.  Disk C - with boot and program files - shows it is the big disk with 250+GB space free and disk D (called Lenovo D:) is the small partition with only 29GB free.  THis appears opposite to expectations from this thread and would seem to be contrary to one key and easy boot/program restore.

Thoughts?   Do I need to contact Lenovo service?  Thanks for any help.  John

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 224 of 590

2008-12-07, 19:06 PM
Dr JohnB -=- I don't have the same computer version, but I think your disk partitions are okay.  If you want some additional smaller partitions to keep data in, it should be okay to make them.  Keeping the large C partition may be a good thing to do, however.  You should make a back up of your data on disks outside of the computer in that case.
Options

12 Posts

12-06-2008

Asheville, NC USA

48 Signins

334 Page Views

• Views: 334
  • Message 225 of 590

2008-12-07, 20:52 PM

Thanks JaniceJ, yes in looking through other threads on one-key etc. someone else (with Y430) noted they have large C: and small D: and remarked 'that's the way they are now configuring them'.  So, will assume generic 'big' and 'small' partitions apply but wanted to be sure before I loaded up stuff  :-)

In other discoveries, Vista is a real RAM pig, but I was warned and you all know that by now...

John 

Home - Y530-40512YU - P8400 and 4G ram and 320G HDD

Road - EEE 1000H - Atom, blinged with 2G ram and 320G HDD 

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23526 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 226 of 590

2008-12-07, 21:03 PM

DrJohnB wrote:

In other discoveries, Vista is a real RAM pig, but I was warned and you all know that by now...

I have 5 systems here - 2 with XP Pro and 3 with different flavors of 32-bit Vista.  I can't tell any significant performance differences between any of them, but I turned off all the eye-candy and annoying things like UAC, indexing and superfetch, put the interfaces back to Windows Classic and tweaked all the settings.  It takes a whip and a chair, but you can get Vista under control.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

131 Posts

12-06-2008

USA, New Jersey

203 Signins

2148 Page Views

• Views: 2148
  • Message 227 of 590

2008-12-13, 6:35 AM

wrote:

Thanks JaniceJ, yes in looking through other threads on one-key etc. someone else (with Y430) noted they have large C: and small D: and remarked 'that's the way they are now configuring them'.  So, will assume generic 'big' and 'small' partitions apply but wanted to be sure before I loaded up stuff  :-)

John 

Home - Y530-40512YU - P8400 and 4G ram and 320G HDD

Road - EEE 1000H - Atom, blinged with 2G ram and 320G HDD 

My Y430 is exactly this. I have utilized the D:\ Partition (30gb) with a final full compressed back up consisting of my system configured as i see fit, simply as a quick remedy should i decide to reload.

Options

10 Posts

08-02-2008

Toronto Ontario Canada

22 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 228 of 590

2008-12-13, 15:48 PM

I really envy those of you who have a large "C" and a small "D".

My machine is a Y710, and I am quite satisfied with it, except that I have a small "C" and a large "D". That, is for me, a real problem.

Since I am not too swift with computers' configurations, I had thought that this particular series of machines had been designed for people like me, who possess a limited knowledge of the workings of a machine. I am not too interested in learning how computers function, so long as I can use the computer as a "tool" for whatever I may want to do. (I drive my car, but I have others fix it)

Having said that, I do not really want to lose the one key recovery function, but I would like to  convert my machine so that I can have either just one very large "C" and no "D" partition, or in the alternative, a large "C" and a small "D". 

With all due respect to those of you who have posted suggestions, I am looking for something very simple and basic. Is there such a way?

I will be 72 on my next birthday, I don't want to learn any new skills, and I do not want to buy another computer.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your patience, and your assistance.

Options

131 Posts

12-06-2008

USA, New Jersey

203 Signins

2148 Page Views

• Views: 2148
  • Message 229 of 590

2008-12-13, 18:06 PM

Nick,

The easiest i would imagine is calling Lenovo support and ask them to reconfigure the machine to current proper standards.  Make sure your both on the same page about the larger C:.  Your also dead on in your post, the Ideapad should certainly cater to the general consumer and i have no idea why they partitioned their drives this way for all of them.

Rstoegbauer

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 230 of 590

2008-12-13, 18:18 PM
Dear Nickla -- On reading your age, I just had to respond -- I am 78, so there is hope for all of us "old" folk.  I found that learning how the computer was put together and works was the only solution to the many "accidents" that have happened along the way.  I have been using computers since the early 1980s.  Just read your books and instructions and plod along, you will succeed.  To the problem -- A too small "c" drive is a real problem.  First you should clean  it up, ridding it of all unnecessary files etc.  Moving some of the working files to an exterior cd-rom, or dvd-rom will help, for example.  Otherwise, repartitioning your "larger C" drive to allow more collection and growth area could be a solution.  If you do this, however, we were forewarned that the one-step recovery facility would not work.  It is apparently based on an image that is size dependent.  This is of no consequence if you obtain a backup program and regularly backup your system to another partition on your drive, or to a DVD as an exterior backup.  If you have USB 2 on your computer, you may also buy a very large exterior drive to which you can backup the entire C drive from time to time.  If the computer crashes, you can reinstall the entire image and be back in business immediately.  So -- how to partition your C drive -- there are several programs that will do the job.  One, which was suggested by others on this blog, is the linux program Parted Magic.  I have been using this of late and find it to be very easy to work.  It is also free as a download.  Move the linux download to a cd-rom and boot the disk, doing the partitioning from there.  You do not have to install it on your computer.  I would not try to use the Vista disk management facility to repartition as it will likely destroy everything on the existing partition before adjusting the new partition.  Paragon Partition manager (Element 5) is also another easy program to use (about $35)and operates within windows.  These programs will just "move" the partition boundry and will not delete the files on them as it changes the size.  There is no really easy way to do all this -- just take it one step at  a time, making backups as you go of all the important files and you will be able to carry it off.  Also -- read through many of the early blogs in this thread -- they are full of good advice on partitions and partitioning.  Hope this is helpful.  By the way, in case you haven't been informed, the one-step recovery facility will also wipe your "c" disk clean and reestablish the original setup as received from the factory.  All of your precious files and programs will be wiped out.  As a result, this "easy" facility is practically useless unless you want to start all over from scratch.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms