12-06-2008

USA, New Jersey

203 Signins

2148 Page Views

• Views: 2148
  • Message 251 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-12-30, 15:58 PM

There are endless causes.... but of most common may be a corrupt img file or worse case scenerio a bad hdd or bad sectors.

Regardless of the outcome if windows/vista works upon completion:

1. click the "windows icon"/start button in bottom left

2. in "start search" box(vista), or click on "run" (windows)

3. type cmd

4. within the new command prompt type "chkdsk /r"

If windows doesnt work use the "novo," recovery button on the laptop to boot to a "repair" which will eventually lead you to the same command prompt outside of windows.

You may already be familiar with this, who knows..... the chkdsk command will scan the hdd for integrity and the /r will repair any bad sections if it were to find any.

If this were an issue, it will take several hours so run it overnight or when you will have several hours to leave it running.

Hopefully this isnt it, but i wouldnt worry your back up data is saved in two locations... the C: (its origin) and within the img files, typically if a drive is funky its small sections from my experience.

Message Edited by rstoegbauer on 12-30-2008 11:00 AM
Options

15 Posts

12-31-2008

Charlotte, NC

21 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 252 of 590

2008-12-31, 1:05 AM

Hi, I purchased a new Lenovo Y510 and really like it, but I was concerned about using my D drive, so decided to do some checking around and saw this message.  My C drive is 188 GB and my D drive is 27 GB, whcih is totally opposite of what your message says.  I was going to use my D drive for my data as you suggested.  Is there something wrong with my computer the way it came set up?  I thought I'd ask before I start installing a lot of my programs on it. 

Thanks for any help!

Shirley

Options

131 Posts

12-06-2008

USA, New Jersey

203 Signins

2148 Page Views

• Views: 2148
  • Message 253 of 590

2008-12-31, 4:58 AM

your fine, thats the way it should be.

Options

15 Posts

12-31-2008

Charlotte, NC

21 Signins

130 Page Views

• Message 254 of 590

2008-12-31, 14:19 PM
Thank you.  :)
Options

81 Posts

11-20-2008

Boston

1291 Signins

4832 Page Views

• Views: 4832
  • Message 255 of 590

2009-01-01, 0:28 AM
I don't think it is the way it should be.  The way it should be is a C: partition large enough for all expect programs and the D: partition containing the rest and set up to hold all documents, music, etc.  That way you can back up D: and make recovery DVDs from C: and manipulate them independently.  I bet she has the standard install, wherein the user files are also put on C: complicating backup and recovery.   Why can't Lenovo get this right?
Options

15 Posts

12-31-2008

Charlotte, NC

21 Signins

130 Page Views

• Message 256 of 590

2009-01-01, 1:27 AM

I plan on putting my "user" documents on D.   The work that I do, I was going to install the programs on C and then use the D drive for all my data.  That's why I was concerned if I could use that D drive, but it was so small, I wasn't sure why they did that. 

On my desktop, I have Vista on C, all my programs on D and then all my data on an E drive, which is my largest drive.  But can't do that on the laptop and I don't plan on having as much on the laptop either.  Do you suggest I call the Lenovo support before I start installing all my programs to make sure that the drives are correct? 

Thanks....Shirley

Options

1 Posts

01-01-2009

New York, NY

2 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 257 of 590

2009-01-01, 17:28 PM

I am not an IT expert but as far as I can see the Lenovo approach to partitioning is ridiculous. I always thought that the main idea behind partitioning is that you should keep your systems files on one drive and your data on another drive. In case  you have some problems and need to reinstall the system again, then your data remains safe.

However, first lenovo gave a small 27 gb c drive, which is not really enough for vista and other programs--I have been using this for one year and it is just about full. Then Lenovo gave huge c drives and small d drives.  It is conceivable that the small d drives will not be big enough and if a lot of documents are kept in the c partition, then they will be lost should someone need to use the one key recovery or any other kind of recovery.

It would probably be better to just make one large c drive, give people the recovery dvd, and let everyone who wants to just make their own partitions if they wish.  The one key recovery and all the problems associated with it and the partioning do not seem to be worth it.

But that said, what do people think would be the ideal sizes of the c and d partitions (with the c drive big enough to handle the vista system and updates and the d drive big enough to store the data)? I may have to repartition, and I am seriously thinking to just keep one big c drive and back up my data on an external drive.

Best Wishes,

Don Nelson

Options

27 Posts

12-05-2008

Austin, Texas, USA

111 Signins

724 Page Views

• Views: 724
  • Message 258 of 590

2009-01-01, 18:16 PM

I never bought into the idea that you should partition your hard drive with Windows.  If you can redirect your data files to your D: drive, it's just as easy to redirect them into a directory on your C: drive.  If you can backup your D: drive, you can backup your directory on your C: drive just as easily. 

The other argument for partitioning is that if your file system fails or is corrupted on C:, D: is not affected.  Maybe so, but D: can fail just as much as C: can, then you've lost your data.... so you should be backing up all the time anyway. 

And, by having one big C: drive, you can effectively use all the space, rather than having to decide how big each partition will be. 

Nonetheless, having partitions seems to be the "conventional wisdom".  I just think it's a mistake. 

Personally, I wiped both the C: and D: partitions on my S10, and reinstalled XP from scratch on one big partition.  It's working just fine.  My next step will be to wipe the recovery partition and use that space, too.  But I'll wait until it looks like I need it. 

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

US

23522 Signins

803300 Page Views

• Views: 803300
  • Message 259 of 590

W700- ThinkVantage - Error #2

2009-01-01, 14:57 PM

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

15 Posts

12-31-2008

Charlotte, NC

21 Signins

130 Page Views

• Message 260 of 590

2009-01-01, 19:23 PM

Well, I'm not sure what I'm going to do now.  My big thing is, I am used to having a disk with my operating system on it in case I need to reinstall and that's one thing I would like to have.   I am not excited about the one-step recovery system.   I have a desktop with a 500 GB hard drive and I have Vista on it also and I have 100 GB on drive C and 250 on D where all my programs reside and then 150 GB on my E drive where all my data is.  but I also have all my data backed up on an external hard drive.   So I'm comfortable with that. 

I may just leave my laptop partitioned like it is unless it's not working for me later, but see if support will give me a Vista reinstall disk rather than me using the one-step recovery.   And get rid of the one-step and use that space for my D data drive.   I don't know if maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about because I've never had a laptop before and it seems to be a slightly different animal than my desktop, but I'm reading and seeing what everyone has to say.   The only disk I got with this laptop was a Leonovo IdeaPad Y510 Vista Drivers CD.  I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do with it.  I feel like an idiot, but just got this computer for Christmas and need to get my nose in the book and see if I can figure all this out. 

Thanks for all the good information.  Will keep reading and learning.

Shirley

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete