02-24-2009

usa

114 Signins

792 Page Views

• Views: 792
  • Message 301 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2009-03-04, 7:00 AM

I guess I am just trying to understand why the partition size structure got changed. I must not be understanding something correctly. I assume that when you hit one key, it formats and reinstalls the factory config on the c drive. If the c drive is now where all the space is, then of course I will put music files, photos, etc there because that is where the space is. But why would they set the config in this way now? If D is my safe area, then why not make C just as big as it needs to be?

I can follow the instruction, but there has to be a reason for this partition size??

Options

3 Posts

03-04-2009

Sanfrancisco

3 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 302 of 590

2009-03-04, 7:14 AM

The scheme has been changed recently, because people have been complaining that they have a very tiny C drive. Lenovo should have atleast made a 50/50 split between C and D. Instead, they now made a very tiny D.

Options

2 Posts

02-27-2009

United States

3 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 303 of 590

2009-03-04, 8:19 AM
What exactly is the use of such a tiny D drive? My computer is configured the same way that saerandy described, and I'd prefer the normal small C and large D. Would I have to send it in to be serviced in order to resize the partitions and retain the recovery function? I've never even resized a partition myself, so even if it is possible for the user to do it, it would probably have to be reasonably simple process for me to risk doing it myself.
Options

1419 Posts

10-26-2008

California, United States

711 Signins

35916 Page Views

• Views: 35916
  • Message 304 of 590

2009-03-04, 17:23 PM
Resizing a partition is the easy part. You can download a partition manager and have your "C" drive repartitioned in a matter of minutes. The tricky part is getting OneKey to work with the repartitioned hard drive.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Options

27 Posts

12-05-2008

Austin, Texas, USA

111 Signins

724 Page Views

• Views: 724
  • Message 305 of 590

2009-03-04, 17:42 PM

The right way to look at OneKey is as a backup/recovery system that has its pluses and minuses, and has the added convenience of being pre-installed.

There are other options for backup and recovery solutions.

Once you start re-partitioning and customizing your system, you will probably break OneKey's scheme, and will need to look at another solution.

Personally, I have a backup scheme for all my data, and I have a recovery scheme which involves wiping the hard drive and re-starting from scratch by booting an install DVD (via a USB DVD drive), and re-installing the drivers and applications.  So, I simply deleted all the partitions (including the recovery partition) and re-installed clean.  

I have the security of knowing I can get going again with no loss of data or functionality even if my hard drive dies or if I have to replace the entire S10 netbook (if it's lost, stolen, or run over by a car).  

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 306 of 590

2009-03-04, 22:56 PM

Dear Saerandy et al --  A big C drive is not all that bad since most of your operating system files, registry, programs and many documents, internet history and other things are placed automatically on your C drive by Windows itself.  Whatever size it is, you absolutely MUST have a back up system for all the files that you treasure and want to preserve.  You can use your D drive to do this, if it is big enough.  If you really MUST use the one-key system, this would be the smart thing to do.  The one-key will wipe out all of your installed programs along with your personal files.  Like many have suggested here -- I would just forget the one-key, repartition to organize your files the way you want and backup, backup, backup!  With the right kind of backup program, you can completely replace operating system, other files and programs in a snap from the backup if your harddrive packs it in.  One-key is actually a BIG waste of time and effort.  Try for some other solution to "save" your computer.  By the way, your machine guarantee does not depend upon the one-key survival.  That is a software mechanism and is not covered by the guarantee in any case, as I understand it.  It was put there for the convenience of the user -- a sales gimmick. IMHO

Options

20 Posts

05-21-2008

Hong Kong

34 Signins

381 Page Views

• Views: 381
  • Message 307 of 590

2009-03-06, 15:54 PM

Hopefully someone can answer my question.

I have a recovery CD that came with my Y410A, in the event that I mess up my 1 touch recovry partition, will this fix it up.

I intend to upgrade my 160GB for a 320Gb and install windows XP 64, so what i'm doing is now is just a direct copy of the 160 gb to the 320gb, that way my 160gb hhd will my be messed up.

Options

38 Posts

02-02-2009

Macedonia,Skopje

72 Signins

772 Page Views

• Views: 772
  • Message 308 of 590

2009-03-09, 11:01 AM

Well,if I have to make backups on external HDD for safety reasons ( had many problems on my PC when my HDD is not visible and DOS just say " you don't have any HDD on this computer" lol ) why then we have partitions at all and what's the use of them?

If I can't count and relay on D partition nor on Eisa partition - One Key Recovery, why then having partitions at all ?

One big C drive and backup on external HDD will do a job.

Options

81 Posts

03-28-2008

Clinton, NY

548 Signins

6864 Page Views

• Views: 6864
  • Message 309 of 590

2009-03-09, 12:34 PM
Too many people rely on OKR to magically solve their problems. OKR is only good to restore your system back to factory default. It does absolutely nothing for a catastrophic HDD failure. As you know, the absolute best backup is a backup to an external drive (or internal if you are lucky enough to have 2 physical HDD's). This way, when your HDD crashes, and it will, you are covered. When a HDD crashes, it takes all the partitions with it. IMO, you are dong it right by having an external drive for backing up your HDD. You understand the effects of a bad drive. I wish more people would. My laptop basically has one big C drive also. I deleted the D drive and reclaimed the real estate. How's it feel to know that your data is actually safe??
Beer... It does a body good!
Options

38 Posts

02-02-2009

Macedonia,Skopje

72 Signins

772 Page Views

• Views: 772
  • Message 310 of 590

2009-03-10, 12:46 PM

mikepasta, you are absolutely right mate.

I had no time to reformat my Y510 lappy yet ( was busy saving my desktop from severe crush "no HDD detected issue" ), but these days will for sure wipe EISA 15GB partition witch is just useless and sitting there on my poorly small 30 GB C drive. 

Lenovo and other laptop manufacturer meant well with this EISA partition, but logicaly if your lappy crash, you gonna just stare in its dark face if left without any external backup.

pack of beer for mikepasta ..my treat lol

Message Edited by makedonka on 03-10-2009 05:57 AM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete