03-04-2009

Sanfrancisco

3 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 311 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2009-03-13, 6:46 AM

I recently upgraded my harddrive to a bigger 320 GB one, and I have to say that OKR is a joke. It just will not work if you make any changes to your partition sizes or locations. I decided to give up on OKR and the convinience of hidden partition, and just thought I will make do with recovery disks. So I proceeded with making recovery disks. The R&R program wanted either 12 CDs or two 4.7 DVDs. It would not take one dual layer DVD. So, I had to waste 2 dual layer DVDs anyway, because those were the only ones I had. 

I installed the new harddrive and created the partitions the way I wanted. 80GB for vista, 80GB for Win7, rest for my backups. I popped in the recovery disks I created earlier, in hopes of being able to install Vista. It failed, with a message saying that there is not enough space. It wanted the partition to be the same size as it was when I made the recovery disks on my old hard drive. 

I had to find an OEM vista DVD and use the key on the bottom of my notebook. It worked and it feels much faster than the factory install. However,  its a real pain to find and install all the drivers. I then installed windows 7 on the next partition and I automatically got dual boot option.

Everything works in windows 7, except the switchable graphics. Only one graphics card works at a time. If you select 'discrete only' in bios, it uses ATI card. If you select 'switchable graphics' in bios, only the integrated card will work. The display goes blank if you try to switch the card.

I hope this info helps someone trying to do similar stuff, on a u330. 

Options

27 Posts

12-05-2008

Austin, Texas, USA

111 Signins

724 Page Views

• Views: 724
  • Message 312 of 590

2009-03-13, 13:33 PM

The approach I took with my S10 was to create a bootable Windows install DVD ahead of time.  You can do this using Bart's method, which is documented here (for Windows XP only):

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#wxp

All of the Lenovo system-specific drivers are available for download and you can burn those into the DVD at the same time.

Then you always have a way to "start from scratch".  Use your DVD to lay down Windows, then re-install your applications and data from whatever your backup scheme is for them.  

Obviously you need an optical drive to do this, I had to purchase a USB DVD burner, but it was only $50.  

Options

114 Posts

03-28-2009

Vancouver BC

249 Signins

2881 Page Views

• Views: 2881
  • Message 313 of 590

2009-03-31, 11:04 AM
The use of the smaller partition is for you to store recovery images and store data, in the case of a recovery your C drive is wiped and the image is recovered from D where you stored it or a fresh install from the hidden partition usually topped up with driver files left on D by lenovo. And yes there is probably a hidden partition on your drive as well, its the way IBM does things.
Options

12 Posts

04-04-2009

Urbana, IL

21 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 314 of 590

2009-04-05, 16:33 PM

This may have already been answered in this thread, but I can't seem to find any "search" function.

In any event, I have a brand new Y430 and am loving it.  I've found it impossible to clone this HDD to a new one, however, as it seems the system can't find any Vista boot files.  I digress...

Anyway, I'm trying to create a full backup image for OKR.  When I click on full backup, it says "the available space is not enough".  I haven't messed with the partitions or anything. I have 187 GB on the C drive, and 30 GB on the D drive.  It's trying to create the image to the D drive, but it needs 47 GB and obviously this won't fit.

I thought the backup had to be on the D drive for OKR?  What do I do?

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 315 of 590

2009-04-05, 18:00 PM
Dear Bgstewar -- Many of the recent blogs in this thread apply to your problem... that is, incorrect partition size for your needs.  The C drive is either too big, or too small for the harddrive that you are using.  In your case, the simplest thing to do is to enlarge the D drive and shrink the C drive.  There are many programs available that can do this without loss of data.  If you try this with your windows management system, it will delete all your files when it formats the new sizes.  So -- DON't use windows for repartitioning.  Another solution is to backup your C drive and the files on it to an exterior harddrive or DVD disks.  There are several discussions in this regard somewhere in this thread.  There is a free program by Linux called Parted Magic that will easily change your partition sizes without injuring the files.  Just do a search and you will find it.  As many people have concluded in this blog -- don't worry about your one key installation not working.  It is not that useful anyway.
Options

2 Posts

04-12-2009

TX

10 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 316 of 590

Y530 - No CD's included, Partition Possibilities?

2009-04-12, 19:50 PM

Just received the IdeaPad Y530 (405168U) and want to make OS and partition changes if possible.

Here's some info about the new IdeaPad: 

• System came with no CD's at all
  • C: partition is 188GB and D: partition is 29.1GB
  • Pressing OneKey button with Vista running brings up recovery software:
    • Backup
      • Full Backup - No, Quick, and Maximum Compression
        • After a few downloads and small program installs, there is now not enough space for a OneKey backup to the D drive (32.5 GB or 28.9 GB image compared to 27.4 GB available). You can select a different backup location or backup straight to CD.
      • Incremental Backup - Not available, possibly until Full Backup is made
    • Create Recovery Disk
      • You may select a different image (*.wsi file) to backup
      • Not sure what is actually backed up and what goes on the CD, will report back...
  • Pressing OneKey button with computer off brings up recovery partition
    • Will report back with more info

So the new IdeaPad has no cd's and a new partition structure with a large C drive and a smaller D which can take a compressed backup, but obviously this is no way to back up music/photos/etc. It's not clear what is actually backed up when you run the OneKey software in Windows, I will report back.

Ideas for power users on the IdeaPad:
  • Clean install of Windows XP - Can OneKey recovery still work?
  • Dual boot of Vista/Other OS - Can OneKey back up 2 partitions?
  • TrueCrypt hidden OS - TrueCrypt installs a new bootloader so this could screw up the whole laptop or at least mess up OneKey recovery. You would need two OS's for the decoy and hidden OS, and probably neither of those would come from a recovery CD.

Since there is no Vista CD included with the laptop, I am very wary of doing anything special to the machine. I assume I could use a friend's Vista CD with the Home Premium Key included on the laptop. But if any actions case OneKey recovery to stop functioning, I believe I would have to return the laptop to Lenovo to restore it. If only they included a CD to reinstall not only Vista but the recovery partition! Is it really so hard to include the CD?

If anyone has messed around with a similar laptop and partition structure, please reply to this post and let me know your experiences. I will report back with mine. Thank you!
Message Edited by mark_o on 04-12-2009 01:08 PM
Options

1419 Posts

10-26-2008

California, United States

711 Signins

35916 Page Views

• Views: 35916
  • Message 317 of 590

Re: Y530 - No CD's included, Partition Possibilities?

2009-04-13, 14:30 PM

wrote:
So the new IdeaPad has no cd's and a new partition structure with a large C drive and a smaller D which can take a compressed backup, but obviously this is no way to back up music/photos/etc. It's not clear what is actually backed up when you run the OneKey software in Windows, I will report back.

When you run OneKey from within Windows, the entire data structure located on the first partition is backed up to an image. Nothing will be modified from any other partition.

wrote:
  • Clean install of Windows XP - Can OneKey recovery still work?
  • Dual boot of Vista/Other OS - Can OneKey back up 2 partitions?
  • TrueCrypt hidden OS - TrueCrypt installs a new bootloader so this could screw up the whole laptop or at least mess up OneKey recovery. You would need two OS's for the decoy and hidden OS, and probably neither of those would come from a recovery CD.

1) Yes, you can install XP onto your hard drive and maintain OneKey Recovery functionality. The trick is not to mess with partition sizes. The first partition [Windows partition] must not be resized. It can be formatted but not deleted or resized.

2) Yes, you can set up a dual-boot configuration with Vista and another OS of choice. OneKey will not back up the second partition. OneKey can only create a backup of the first partition on the hard drive. You can create recovery disks of your first partition with daul-boot already set up, so that when a recovery is needed, you don't lose your dual-boot setup. [external storage may be required.]

3) It's a possibility that OneKey can back up an encrypted OS.

As far as I can tell, the MBR doesn't hold the code require to boot OneKey Recovery. If that were the case, each fresh Windows installation would remove OneKey Recovery functionality. However, that isn't the case. OneKey Recovery will still work with a linux installation. However, recovering to Vista will require you to write a new MBR to the hard drive.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Options

18 Posts

05-03-2009

New York City

65 Signins

233 Page Views

• Views: 233
  • Message 318 of 590

2009-05-03, 22:41 PM
Are there disks provided for system recovery (ie: licensed copy of Windows, Microsoft Office) or does it require creating a recovery disk set like HP does?
Options

1419 Posts

10-26-2008

California, United States

711 Signins

35916 Page Views

• Views: 35916
  • Message 319 of 590

2009-05-04, 5:38 AM

There are no OS installation disks, Office disk, or drivers disk provided with the Y430/530/730 laptops. To make recovery disks, you will need to make an initial backup of the OS, then write this backup as a recovery disks with OneKey Recovery [all of this done within Windows Vista].

If you want a recovery disk containing the factory backup, you will have to unhide the hidden partition, copy the backup to drive "D" [do not cut and paste], hide the partition, then use OneKey [within Windows Vista] to create the recovery disk. 

Note: Remember not to resize the system partition or the hidden OKR partition.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Options

1 Posts

05-08-2009

Brooksville, FL

2 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 320 of 590

2009-05-08, 4:29 AM

This wasn't necessarily the page I wanted to respond to, but I just wanted to say thanks for your very informative post about the Ideapad Y510, and the ideas to make it more efficient. The partitioning thing was making me crazy. I knew enough not to repartition becaus of the very handy one-key recovery. I didn't think about the registry not changing when I changed the folder locations. Now I've taken the time to ensure that all folders possible have been sent to D: before restoring C:. It is currently restoring C:, and I hav every confidence that this is going to solve my problem. I have worked on this for over a week and no one has been able to help. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I read somewhere that this was intentional design, but why would they simply not rename the drive seeing as almost everything defaults to C:? The one-key recovery is great, but it seems like they could have even put in an A: drive for this. If you don't know about the drive situation, your're likely to believe that you have a defective computer - wonder how many have been returned for this reason?

Anyhow, I really appreciate your article - I did not do anything with the Swap files or repartitioning. I got the impression that you don't really recommend that. I did make, like I said that I defaulted every folder possible to D:. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete