10-13-2008

US

333 Signins

3890 Page Views

• Views: 3890
  • Message 321 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2009-05-11, 21:30 PM
It seems there are no Windows XP AND VISTA OS installation or drivers disk provided with every laptop? e.g. the Y430/530/730 laptops series. And the Y510? And the Y450?

How could that be?  

My IdeaPad Y510 Hard Disk Drive (HDD) came with the three partitions, somehow inverted.

That is to say the C drive (which contains Windows and the pre-installed software), supposed to be the smaller drive, came as the larger one. While the D drive (ready for storing my personal data files and supposed to be the larger partition), came formatted as the smaller one.

I imagined I couldn't touch nor delete the invisible Service Partition (the one without a drive letter) used by the OneKey Recovery System to backup and recover the C partition, which requires almost 20GB of HDD space, because I supposed it wouldn't longer operate.

However I didn't realize then, I shouldn't resized the system partition or the hidden OKR partition. Although I didn't touch the Service Partition, I reordered/ inverted the drives, leaving the C as the smaller and the D as the larger one. *I also changed Vista for the XP version.

Now I know having resized the system partition, that the hidden OKR partition is useless.

Nevertheless, how can it be there are no Windows XP AND VISTA OS installation disks and drivers disks provided with every laptop?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

How to make Recovery Disks containing the factory backup?

I should make an initial backup of the OS (from the hidden OKR partition), then

I should write this backup as a recovery disk with OneKey Recovery [all of this done within Windows Vista*... and XP ???]

I should unhide the hidden partition,

I should copy the backup to drive "D" [do not cut and paste],

I should hide the partition, then

I should use OneKey [within Windows Vista] to create the recovery disk.

Options

8 Posts

05-27-2009

Denpasar-Bali-Indonesia

11 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 322 of 590

2009-05-27, 15:05 PM

I just bought Y550 and got BSOD and I try to recover it to factory default.

Does any one know how long the onekey recovery 6.0 for Y550 run..it's keep initialing and already run for 3 hour with staus initialing?

Please help 

Options

8 Posts

05-27-2009

Denpasar-Bali-Indonesia

11 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 323 of 590

2009-06-01, 3:53 AM

I already tired with this onekey recovery 6.0 lenovo Y550. Already tried 15times with no succes 

just format it and split into 2 partition and buy a fresh windows vista home premium also downlod the driver and software.

but there is a problem with the webcam always busy !!?!?!?!? 

Options

31 Posts

03-17-2008

Albania

47 Signins

291 Page Views

• Views: 291
  • Message 324 of 590

2009-06-22, 16:37 PM

Hi,

I need some instructions: I have a y510 with a small c and big d drive. I have been using it for a year and one half, installing programs in the D drive and somehow working around the stupid partitioning. However, my patience is wearing thin and I just want to eliminate the partitions entirely and have one big c drive.  Can anyone tell me how to do that without having to reinstall software etc. Is there a way to just merge the two drives without losing data? I don't care about the one key recovery feature. 

Let me knw what partition programs to use etc.

Thanks for your help.

Options

1419 Posts

10-26-2008

California, United States

711 Signins

35916 Page Views

• Views: 35916
  • Message 325 of 590

2009-06-24, 15:01 PM

xomenx - Did you resize the Windows partition? It sure seems like you did. When you resize the partition and it is no longer of adequate size, it will hang at "initializing'" and will not advance. You will have to resize the partition once more, but this time you will have to make it large enough for the recovery process to work.

OR go into the recovery partition and edit the factory.wsi file.

And about that BSOD, any recent hardware upgrades?

dveda - If you have the installation disk/files for the programs you have installed on drive "D", you can go ahead and uninstall them from their current directories and then install them onto drive "C". Then transfer any remaining files from drive "D" to drive "C".

A good sized external hard drive will be very helpful at this time, but you can get by without one.

Message Edited by ortegaluis on 06-24-2009 08:02 AM
Message Edited by ortegaluis on 06-24-2009 08:06 AM

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 326 of 590

2009-06-24, 18:07 PM

Dveda -- If you go back to some of the early remarks, you will see that two or three partitioning programs have been suggested to do the job you want done.  One of them is the paragon partition manager (avail. Element 5 Inc) for a very reasonable price and another is Parted Magic -- a linux-based program that you operate from the cd-rom.  Both can change the size of your drives or merge them without losing the data.  The Parted Magic, I believe, is free for a download.  Just do a computer search to find either one of these programs.

Janice

Options

1 Posts

06-24-2009

New York, NY

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 327 of 590

2009-06-24, 22:51 PM

Hi Janice,

I did refer to the earlier posts and then finally decided to get Paragon partition manager. I paid $40 for it, but when I tried to use it and resize the partitions, the program said that it couldn't do it because the partitions were not adjacent! That is really crazy. Have you actually tried to resize partitions on the lenovo y510, Dveda (I had to log in with a new account) using the Paragon Partiton Manager.  (Earlier I did look at parted magic but that seemed very complicated, I can look again, but my question is: have you successfully done this kind of resizing of partitions on the y510 using these programs?)

Dveda

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 328 of 590

2009-06-26, 16:33 PM

Dear Dveda -- I have the same computer and resized my partitions long ago when I first discovered their inequities.  There is a trick to being able to view your entire hard disk and this has to do with resetting the access to it through your bios.  I can't seem to locate the little book that came with my computer, but it is explained in that.  As I remember, you go into the bios (cmos) and set two different passwords to unlock and lock access to the harddrive in order to gain full access to it.  The company blocks access to some of the partitions so that you cannot erase the one that holds the one-key recovery image.  You have to "unblock" these areas before partition manager will be able to "see" the entire disk and deal with it.  I will look some more for my little book so that I can be more specific.  I think I explained this in one email long ago, however.

Janice

Options

1 Posts

06-29-2009

UAE

4 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 329 of 590

2009-06-29, 8:08 AM

Dear Mr. MARK,

When I recieved my IDEA PAD S10e there was no partition D. Hence If  use the recovery feature all my software is wiped. How can i create a partition now.

Also when I try SYSTEM RESTORE it is not working though I tried various dates of restore. Can you help. If you can mail me instructions on my email *@*.* I would appreciate

Moderator edit: Masked member's email address.

Message Edited by bananaman on 06-29-2009 04:36 AM
Options

1 Posts

07-02-2009

Los Altos, CA

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 330 of 590

2009-07-02, 16:13 PM

Hi guys,

I've tried to read as much as possible before posting to avoid asking a redundant question but please forgive me if that's what I am doing.

I've basically done a few no-no's according to this thread.  I "shrank" my c:/ partition to be 50GB and "expanded" my d:/ partition to be the rest.  I did not touch the recovery partition.  Having messed with everything, I attempted to reinstall windows via the OKR button while the system was off.  That stalled (b/c of C:/ being resized) and upon rebooting I was left with a "BOOTMGR missing" message.  I grabbed my friend's Vista disk just to boot and install far enough to see everything again.  I'm not sure why, but the hidden recovery partition is now visible and it appears I can create a boot disk to reinstall everything (from the factory.wsi file).

Before I waste 15 CDRs doing so, does anyone know if this will recover my system to the original state?  Are there any gotcha's I should be aware of such as resizing C:/ to be the original size?  (If so, it would be helpful if someone could let me know the size of their C:/ for a Y550 with a 320GB disk).

A couple of random notes I've come across indicate that I could possibly delete both my C:/ and D:/ partitions and the recovery process will work.  Also, according to a post a few pages back, Lenovo does not ship any recovery disks with their system.  Can I create the recovery disks from the factory.wsi and rebuild my system if I have to replace/upgrade the disk someday?  If not, that seems like quite a shortfall on Lenovo's part.

Thanks in advance,

Jarvis

Message Edited by jarvis307 on 07-02-2009 09:13 AM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete