07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 331 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2009-07-09, 18:35 PM

Dear Jarvis -- Unless things have changed since the first Y550 was issued, you will not be able to recreate your original setup once you change the drive size.  The "backup" is an image, apparently set for a certain drive size by Lenovo.  Some image generating backup systems allow you to go into the image (such as Ghost 9) and recover bits and parts of the saved backup files.  Many times this is a good thing when you do not wish to reinstall the image exactly as it was saved in total.  Because it is an image, it will reinstall exactly as it was saved -- since this was done at the factory -- this is what you will get.  All of your changes, programs, files etc. that you have since added will be deleted.  There are also some programs -- such as Paragon partition manager, or Ghost -- that will allow you to reinstall the saved image to any size drive -- the program will adjust the image to the new partition size.   Because the one-key system is so hard to use,  I would advise that you buy a set of "Vista", or XP operating system disks so that you can  either (1) reinstall the complete program again (when you do this, it will not destroy your program or saved files), or (2) just repair the operating system so that it is operating funcationally again.   As for the size of an operating system drive-- In my experience, a "C" drive with operating and program files on it should be about 80G.  This, of course, depends upon how many programs you are using, and their size.  The larger part of your system (D and E drives etc.) can be used to store your video, photographs, word documents etc. etc. on.  You may wish to make two of these "storage" drives to help with the organization since your drive is so big.  Use one of these partitions to make regular "c" drive backups with some suitable backup system.  If you prefer to save any and all files on the same partition with your operating systems and programs files, then you obviously should make this partition much larger.

Hope this helps.

Options

3 Posts

07-11-2009

USA

44 Signins

248 Page Views

• Views: 248
  • Message 332 of 590

2009-07-11, 22:54 PM

I have a few questions/concerns.

1. My Y530 came with x64 Vista Home premium installed. My Y530 is equipped with a 320GB HDD. It has a 254GB C:\ drive, a 29.1GB D:\ drive and a 14.75GB EISA hidden recovery partition. I would like to do away with the installed Vista x64 in all respects and employ Win-XP x32 in Vista's place-(I have the necessary XP media at hand).
  2. I would also like to implement a more rational partitioning scheme than exists now while maintaining the OKR functionality, albeit in a Win-XP x32 state rather than a Vista x64 state.
  3. Does the "Free Upgrade to Windows-7" offered for qualifying Notebooks purchased from Lenovo allow the upgrade to occur from any Windows-OS? In other words, does the Win-7 upgrade require that I preserve some instance of the Vista x64 factory installation, or can I upgrade/install to a Notebook that houses a Win-XP configuration that is completely foreign to the nature of this Notebook?

In summary, I would like to downgrade my notebook to Win-XP, both in the C:\ drive and the hidden EISA recovery partition. Resize the C:\ , D:\ and EISA partitions, preserving the OKR functionality while employing a Win-XP x32 image rather than a Vista x64 image, and be able to take advantage of the Win-7 upgrade offer despite all these modifications.

For example,

C:\ Drive - Win-XP - 60GB

D:\ Drive - Win-7 - 60GB

E:\ Drive - Lenovo/Files- 150GB

EISA - Drive - Win-XP - 50GB

I realize that what I have spelled out is a vast departure from what most consider the norm. Even so, I see no reason beyond those constraints imposed by Lenovo and the differences between the Vista and XP MBR/Loader, that such a configuration is not feasible. What I feel needs further clarification is, are the MBR differences between XP and Vista the limiting factor in this case? Or are the seemingly enigmatic Lenovo constraints the limiting factor?

Best Regards

Otherthoughts

p.s. My questions are not concerned with the virtues of any particular partition management software utility. My questions revolve around the documented OKR limitations and any possible Win-7 upgrade restrictions. These questions are also not about the various merits or drawbacks of any particular backup and disaster recovery policy we may be partial to.

Options

27 Posts

12-05-2008

Austin, Texas, USA

111 Signins

724 Page Views

• Views: 724
  • Message 333 of 590

2009-07-12, 2:39 AM

I have the following comments.

1)  Vista Home Premium does not have the licensing right to downgrade to Windows XP.  Only the Vista Business editions have downgrade rights.  So you will not be able to install "genuine validated" Windows XP on your system unless you acquire a separate license. 

2)  You didn't mention how much memory your machine has.  If it has 4 gigabytes, you will not be able to utilize more than about 3 of those 4 with XP 32-bit. 

3)  I doubt you'll be able to preserve OKR when you change the OS that was installed at the factory. 

4)  To get the free upgrade from Vista to 7, you have to have purchased your machine after a certain date. 

5)  No one knows yet exactly how the upgrade versions of Windows 7 do entitlement checks.  It's probably best to wait until they come out to test it. 

Options

3 Posts

07-11-2009

USA

44 Signins

248 Page Views

• Message 334 of 590

2009-07-12, 3:24 AM

wrote:

1)  Vista Home Premium does not have the licensing right to downgrade to Windows XP.  Only the Vista Business editions have downgrade rights.  So you will not be able to install "genuine validated" Windows XP on your system unless you acquire a separate license. 

1. My Y530 came with x64 Vista Home premium installed. My Y530 is equipped with a 320GB HDD. It has a 254GB C:\ drive, a 29.1GB D:\ drive and a 14.75GB EISA hidden recovery partition. I would like to do away with the installed Vista x64 in all respects and employ Win-XP x32 in Vista's place-(I have the necessary XP media at hand).

2)  You didn't mention how much memory your machine has.  If it has 4 gigabytes, you will not be able to utilize more than about 3 of those 4 with XP 32-bit.

It's 4GB - Understood.

3)  I doubt you'll be able to preserve OKR when you change the OS that was installed at the factory.

Agreed!

I realize that what I have spelled out is a vast departure from what most consider the norm. Even so, I see no reason beyond those constraints imposed by Lenovo and the differences between the Vista and XP MBR/Loader, that such a configuration is not feasible. What I feel needs further clarification is, are the MBR differences between XP and Vista the limiting factor in this case? Or are the seemingly enigmatic Lenovo constraints the limiting factor?

4)  To get the free upgrade from with Vista to 7, you have to have purchased your machine after a certain date.

Agreed!

http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/windows7/index.html?ipromoID=wnb00492&

5)  No one knows yet exactly how the upgrade versions of Windows 7 do entitlement checks.  It's probably best to wait until they come out to test it.

I suspect Someone at Lenovo likely already knows. However I concur with your admonishment that we best be prepared to wait.

Best - Otherthoughts

Message Edited by otherthoughts on 07-11-2009 08:31 PM
Message Edited by otherthoughts on 07-11-2009 08:32 PM
Message Edited by otherthoughts on 07-11-2009 08:37 PM
Options

5 Posts

07-12-2009

Philippines

7 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 335 of 590

2009-07-12, 14:11 PM
I just bought a Lenovo IdeaPad S10-2 today and I wish to do something that the retailer is unable to do.

1.  I wish to repartition the drives to 30Gb for Windows installation, 40Gb for Linux installation, 30Gb for Windows files, 30Gb for Linux files, the rest for Linux SWAP files (right now its 103Gb for Windows installations, 30Gb for back-up files, the rest I do not know).
2.  Restore my Windows installation (I don't know if it is backed-up in the restore folder).
3.  Install Ubuntu Linux using my flash drive (I think I have it figured out).
4.  Figure out a way to use the 3G feature.

Hope to read from you soon.

Thank you.

Kenneth C Tirado
New Lenovo IdeaPad S10-2 user.
Options

27 Posts

12-05-2008

Austin, Texas, USA

111 Signins

724 Page Views

• Views: 724
  • Message 336 of 590

2009-07-12, 15:24 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Media does not equal license.  The license is a license key which authorizes you.  You can use the same media to install on multiple computers, but each must have its own license key.  Microsoft will validate that key online or by phone. 

Options

3 Posts

07-11-2009

USA

44 Signins

248 Page Views

• Message 337 of 590

2009-07-12, 16:00 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Media does not equal license.  The license is a license key which authorizes you.  You can use the same media to install on multiple computers, but each must have its own license key.  Microsoft will validate that key online or by phone. 

I can't argue with that logic.

My apologies browncspence.

Best, OtherThoughts

Options

1 Posts

07-15-2009

India

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 338 of 590

2009-07-16, 7:38 AM

I have accidently formatted the  hardsik how can i reinstall the nova key feature in the hardisk Again...

Options

5 Posts

07-21-2009

Washington, DC

9 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 339 of 590

2009-07-21, 3:05 AM

I don't know if my problem even falls into this category but... I tried to use Paragon Partition to create a new partition from the C: drive (which is the majority of my harddisk space, so I'm having a hard time believing we're not allowed to partition it into smaller parts?) but during the restart, I ended up on a screen saying something failed, and that it was "booting from sector...".  I checked the log and my disk manager, and none of the disk sizes have changed.  However, now when I start up my computer, I get a boot menu asking me to choose between the "Vista" option and a new "Linux" option, both being primary partitions on my main drive.  I'm not sure where this Linux option came from or if it's related somehow to the hidden partition, but I'd like it to go away.  Also, when I choose the Linux option, it takes me back to that failure screen where it gets stuck booting.

Moreover, despite not having actually successfully resized my partitions, when I press the OKR button, it only gives me "Backup" and "Create Recovery Disk" options.  I don't even see a button to click for "Restore to System Default".  Does that mean I've somehow voided the Restore option, or is the fact that it's not even on the options screen a sign that I'm missing something on my OKR?  Thanks!

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 340 of 590

2009-07-21, 18:56 PM
Dear NgStudios -- it has been some time since I have operated Paragon Partition Manager, but I don't ever recall that it set a Linux section on my drive.  Of course, my Paragon program is a couple of years old -- they may have changed things?  At any rate, one point I would like to make before you go any further with this partition changing etc.  Did you go into the bios and change the access to your harddisk?  You really MUST do this if you want access to your entire harddisk.   It involves resetting the passwords, and then it should let you see the entire disk.   Partition Manager will not be able to view the entire disk until it has access to it.  This may be why you are "hung" up in your process.  Are you sure you did not use the Linux partition manager, "Parted Magic"?  You should not install this program to your harddisk or it will make a partition for the Linux operations.  Linux and Windows are incompatible, so you have to have two separate partitions, one for each of them.  The Parted Magic program operates from a CD-Rom, so you should not have to install it to your computer.  I think you will have to use the Parted Magic to get rid of the linux partition -- just reformat it to FAT32 or NTFS.  Of course, this will erase everything on that partition.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete