07-21-2009

Washington, DC

9 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 341 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2009-07-23, 4:08 AM

Now I'm not sure if it really is in a separate partition.  On my startup screen, it gives me basically a dual boot option.  Both are labelled as partition 00.  I don't know if somehow there is Linux running on the same partition as windows or if this is related to the hidden backup restore drive that Lenovo automatically includes.

How do I go into the bios to allow my computer access to the drives?  Is that something you would have to do to get Paragon to work properly?  And no, it wasn't Parted Magic and it wasn't to create a Linux partition.  It was just the simple Create New Partition wizard which got stuck during the restart.

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 342 of 590

2009-07-23, 19:33 PM
ngstudios -- Several thoughts to consider (1) I just took a look at my paragon partition manager 9.0 -- I do believe it does use a linux base to function.  It also will allow you to install several differing operating systems on one disk by using its "boot manager".  You must have installed the boot management function.  This is why you see several options for more than one operating system.  I am not sure that you actually have a linux system on your harddrive unless you installed it yourself, but the boot manager is giving you that option.  This means you can have both Linux and Windows operating on the same computer.  When you made your partition, it assumed it was for a linux system, I guess.  If you do not want to do this, I would suggest that you uninstall the whole Paragon program, including the boot management.  Go to the help section on the Paragon Program to get advice on how to do this.  (2)To access your entire harddisk, you must first go into the bios.  I don't have my book here, but I think you push del on boot up to gain access.  You must have an operating book that came with your computer.  I suggest reading it.  In there you will see that there are two places to change or set  passwords in the bios.  Do this and you will gain personal control over your harddrive.  Once set,  this means you will probably have to put in another password as you sign in, but I don't presume that will be much problem.  (3)Use your Vista or XP program to go into control panel and then the Administration section -- click on Disk Management and while in there, check to see how many partitions you have and what kind (format) they have.  The linux partition may show only as a space, I am not sure.  It probably won't have a microsoft drive letter, anyway.   I would not use the Microsoft partitioning and formatting facility for fixing your partitions as it will definite delete everything on the drive you format or change. (4) You also might try (before deleting the program) to go back into Paragon and to format the so-called linux partition to Fat 32 or NTFS.  Maybe the boot manager will reclassify the partition if you can do this.  My best guesses about this.  Worth a try.  (5) Read the help section on Partition Manager to get helpful suggestions.
Options

2 Posts

08-08-2009

USA

3 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 343 of 590

2009-08-08, 13:24 PM

I have a y530:

I want to use one key to create a back up, however the image size(~60GB) is larger than the D partition(~24GB).

wondering if:

1) I can merely resize the partitions moving disk space(~60GB) from C(~174GB free) to D wihtout causing problems with OKR...

2) can I use the vista resizing to do so?

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Message 344 of 590

2009-08-08, 16:00 PM
Dear Wumpus -- don't know that much about your particular Lenovo make, but on the surface of things -- consider this:  (1) Under NO circumstances use the Vista partitioning facility to try to fix ANY partitioning problem.  You will have to format the new partitions and in the process, will DELETE all data on the partition.  (2) Your Lenovo backup system usually is meant to only reinstall the setup that you received from the factory -- nothing else.   If you change the size of the orginal C drive, it may not work.   In view of these considerations, you will have to acquire a third party backup system to do what you want.  If your harddrive is not big enough to make regular backups, acquire a large USB attached harddrive and use this for your extra files and backups.  They are dead cheap.  Saw 1TB exterior drive just the other day for only $95!
Options

2 Posts

08-08-2009

USA

3 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 345 of 590

2009-08-08, 16:06 PM
thanks, now why didnt I think of that...(usb based drive)   I supose I was hoping for OKR to be able to restore a newer image (post cleaning the freeware/ ranodm prgrams I do not need/use)
Options

7 Posts

04-29-2009

Murfreesboro, TN, USA

15 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 346 of 590

2009-08-24, 16:13 PM

OK.  So I read the first 9 pages or so until it started to devolve into name calling and then decided it wasn't worth reading the remaining 25 pages.  I have a few simple questions.

1) Was a 'patch' ever released that made the 1 Touch HDD drive partitioning on my Y510 look like it does on my Y530 (C:(Local isk) = 254 GB, D:(Lenovo) = 29 GB)?  Did it work?  If so, where can I get it?

2) If there was no successful patch released and I don't care about loosing my 1 Touch, can I resize C: using something like Gparted and then if I do have a system crash, restore to factory default using the disks that came with the system (Vista & Drivers)? 

I am not worried about my data files.  They backup automatically to a remote backup site.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.  :smileyhappy:

Options

17 Posts

07-28-2009

USA

17 Signins

175 Page Views

• Views: 175
  • Message 347 of 590

2009-08-28, 17:30 PM

@ : "Note: Remember not to resize the system partition or the hidden OKR partition."

Guess what I just did? :)   LOL

I left the OKR partition untouched, but I didn't realize that OKR couldn't cope with the C partition being resized.

While I can still use my clean copy of Vista Install Disc, it now doesn't include any of the Lenovo-supplied software, some of which was actually useful!

So, my question is, can anyone tell me what the factory partition sizes were?   I'm fairly sure that if I can re-build the partition table correctly it will all work again, but I just don't know where to get the reference info from.

BTW, in my case I'm talking about a Y450 418966U w/ 320Gb drive.   It had three partitions, C ~250Gb, D ~30Gb and the EISA partition ~15Gb.

Does anyone else here still have the original factory arrangement and who is willing to use something like GParted (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-stable/0.4.6-1/gparted-live-0.4.6-1.zip/download) just to see what the table sizes are?   If someone would be kind enough to look that up, could I please request the info be posted here?

Thanks!

Options

17 Posts

07-28-2009

USA

17 Signins

175 Page Views

• Message 348 of 590

2009-08-28, 18:59 PM

Actually, never mind.   I think I've managed to fix it.

Thankfully, I had been smart enough to make a DVD backup copy of the factory.wsi image from the hidden EISA partition.   I just examined the first disc of those backups, by opening up the backup.wsi file in Notepad on a separate computer, and it contains most of the information you need right there.   In my case it reads:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<Itwin Parts="1" version="5.0" VersionFile="PowerRecover-5.5">
    <Part1>
        <DiskInfo PartitionStyle="MBR" Cylinders="38913" TracksPerCylinder="255" SectorsPerTrack="63" BytesPerSector="512" Signature="-1911624034" One="-1911624034" />
        <PartitionInfo BootIndicator="0" HiddenSectors="2048" PartitionNumber="1" PartitionType="7" RecognizedPartition="1" StartingOffset="1048576" PartitionLength="271455354880" />
        <MirrorFileInfo>factory</MirrorFileInfo>
        <Operation HDNumber="0" PartitionNumber="1" VirtualDriveSize="0" FileLengthLimit="104857600" CompressLevel="1">BackupDrive</Operation>
    </Part1>
</Itwin>

I have highlighted the figures of merit which you need to check, although using GParted you need to set the length of the C partition to:

271455354880 / 1024 / 1024 = 258880

That's the length of the original C partition on my system, and so I have been able to recreate my original partition table and am re-installing right now.

Whew.

Thought I would share my findings for all to see though.

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Message 349 of 590

2009-08-28, 20:03 PM

Kraisee -- at the risk of sound snide -- if you can interpret all that computer language about the "size" of your original partition, why couldn't you understand the many blogs on this thread that describe how to repartition your hard disk WITHOUT destroying the data on it?  Unbelievable.

Options

17 Posts

07-28-2009

USA

17 Signins

175 Page Views

• Message 350 of 590

2009-08-28, 20:28 PM

Janice,

Its more the fact that I've been doing this on four other laptops (non Lenovo) both at home and in the office for the last few years with no such problems.   I just made the mistake of assuming that Lenovo's OKR software was as versatile as the other programs I've been using.   It wasn't.   I've learned.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete