07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 351 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2009-08-28, 20:40 PM

Kraisee -- Just wondered.  Good for you.  I know it is to keep more than one computer working smoothly.

Options

17 Posts

07-28-2009

USA

17 Signins

175 Page Views

• Views: 175
  • Message 352 of 590

2009-08-30, 3:21 AM

Just a quick, final follow-up to my earlier post.   I forgot to mention previously, that after I re-built the partition table and re-loaded the Recovery Discs again, the system wouldn't start immediately.   It came back with an "error in winload.exe" and 0xC0000255 code and recommended using the Vista Installation Disc to perform a repair.

You've got to have a Vista disc handy (the recovery discs don't work), but its a really simple little fix and after the system re-boots (even before you do the full 'repair') everything works perfectly again.   I suspect its just doing a simple re-build of the MBR.

Just wanted to post that for anyone else looking for similar info.

After that, I used GParted to simply re-size the existing factory-installed C partition down to 50Gb and tested the system.   It performed a CHKDSK automatically and worked fine.   I then built a couple of extra partitions in the empty space for the other purposes I wanted.   The whole system is working great!

Ross.

Options

2 Posts

12-07-2008

NY

7 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 353 of 590

2009-09-03, 18:38 PM

Hey there,

I have a Y530 with a 320 gig hard drive.  I am trying to find out the size of the hidden partition and also the name they use for it and file type.  Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to get it back to the factory settings after I partitioned the drive as one partition.  My drive had a large C: and small D:   Thanks

Options

2 Posts

09-05-2009

Laoag City, Ilocos Norte, Philippines

5 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 354 of 590

2009-09-07, 11:48 AM

In my case, Disk C:\ is way much larger than Disk D:\ which I find very disappointing because the Windows Vista Disk Defragmenter runs very long (due to the large size of C:\).

wrote:

Why does my Hard Disk Drive (HDD) capacity appear to be smaller than expected?

(This tip applies to Lenovo 3000 Y410, IdeaPad Y510, IdeaPad Y710, and Lenovo 3000 K100 Desktops)

Lenovo creates three partitions on the installed Hard Disk Drive:

1.     The smaller drive commonly known as the C drive which contains Windows and your pre-installed software. The C drive should NOT be resized otherwise your OneKey recovery may no longer operate.

2.     The larger drive known as the D drive which is ready for storing your personal data files such as videos, music, pictures etc. Both the C and D drives are visible in Windows but the D drive is MUCH larger to hold all your personal data. The C drive should NOT be resized otherwise your OneKey recovery may no longer operate.

3.     The Service Partition (the partition without a drive letter) is used by the OneKey recovery system to backup and recover the C partition. This invisible partition requires only 18GB to 20GB of HDD space. The service partition should NOT be deleted otherwise your OneKey recovery will no longer operate.

One advantage of having these partitions is the protection of your personal data. In the event you need to use the OneKey recovery system, the personal data stored on the D drive will not be erased as the files on the C drive are restored.

Disk Management is an installed tool which will allow you to view these three partitions. You may access Disk Management by selecting Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

* Actual size of the invisible partition may vary based on the model and preload.

Message Edited by nonny on 03-29-2008 10:45 PM

Options

2 Posts

09-05-2009

Laoag City, Ilocos Norte, Philippines

5 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 355 of 590

2009-09-07, 11:58 AM

In windows XP, if you want to move system folders like Documents and Settings (Users in Vista) or Program Files, you right-click and drag the folder to the destination and select "Move Here." I don't know if this works in Vista though. Hmmm... I really wanted a Windows XP version of my laptop... Vista requires too much from the comp... I really don't know if the Microsoft people thought of the Vista features well... And why did they bother to pare down the defragment utility? I hope they would release a fix about this.

Options

8 Posts

05-16-2009

FRANCE

31 Signins

169 Page Views

• Views: 169
  • Message 356 of 590

2009-09-12, 14:47 PM

Hello,

I've got a y530 with a 320GB hard drive with the original vista installed.

I'm planing to switch to windows 7 32bits on the actual vista partition and turn the D: partition (29GB) and the "hiden" partition into an unique partition (45GB) to install ubuntu. The OKR is useless in my opinion.

Will it be possible just using the windows 7 disk (or eventually the ubuntu disk) to format the D and hidden parts?

I will get the installation disk for seven from the "free" (20$ = free right?) upgrade program.

Options

6 Posts

09-13-2009

Bandung, Indonesia

19 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 357 of 590

Re: Disk Partitioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2009-09-13, 11:53 AM

Can someone help me
I have a lenovo y450 with 500GB hard drive, partition on the driver c: \ is 420GB, I wanted to share it again in a few more partitions, how do I do that without destroying the system recovery?

Options

31 Posts

03-17-2008

Albania

47 Signins

291 Page Views

• Views: 291
  • Message 358 of 590

2009-09-18, 2:44 AM

In June, Janicej wrote:

Dear Dveda -- I have the same computer and resized my partitions long ago when I first discovered their inequities.  There is a trick to being able to view your entire hard disk and this has to do with resetting the access to it through your bios.  I can't seem to locate the little book that came with my computer, but it is explained in that.  As I remember, you go into the bios (cmos) and set two different passwords to unlock and lock access to the harddrive in order to gain full access to it.  The company blocks access to some of the partitions so that you cannot erase the one that holds the one-key recovery image.  You have to "unblock" these areas before partition manager will be able to "see" the entire disk and deal with it.  I will look some more for my little book so that I can be more specific.  I think I explained this in one email long ago, however.

Janice

----------------------

I really need to do repartitioning work now and was wondering if you had the instructions for unblocking areas of the hard drive so tha partition manager can work with the disc.

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 359 of 590

2009-09-18, 19:24 PM

Hi Dveda:  Could not locate my little book, but went through the paces myself to recreate the sequence to access your harddisk.  When you first turn on your computer, press F2.  This will give a screen to access your CMOS and computer settings.  You may need a password -- I had set mine when I first got the computer so this was easy -- use the "user" password.  After you gain access to the CMOS, go to "Security" -- in here, set the Supervisor and user passwords.  Then, Press Harddisk Security -- two choices will appear -- HDD Master and HDD user.  set passwords for both of these.  Be sure to write these down in a secure place (like a notebook) so that if you ever need to gain access to your computer and have forgotten them, you have a reference.  Save these settings.  Shut down the computer and start it up again.  When you boot up this time, You will see a notice appear asking for a password to gain access to your harddrive.  Put in the password that you just set in the CMOS.  Next, you will be asked to put in your regular password to open windows.  When you are in Windows, you can check that you can see ALL of your harddrive by going to the Disk Manager under Windows.  If you are using Paragon Partition Manager, open this and you will see the entire harddrive now that you have access to it through the settings that you have made.  LIke I said -- DON't lose these passwords or you could lock yourself out of your computer!  I hope that this helps.

Janice

Options

31 Posts

03-17-2008

Albania

47 Signins

291 Page Views

• Views: 291
  • Message 360 of 590

2009-09-18, 20:18 PM

Janice, one question: will I always have to sign in with multiple passwords every time I want to use the computer?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete