Connecitcut

112 Signins

1033 Page Views

• Views: 1033
  • Message 371 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2009-10-11, 0:31 AM

So I have a Y510

I installed Windows 7 (not the RC, the actual install - official OS disk from MS)

Figuring I didn't need that extra 28 or so GB of space I merged them with my C:

Now I want to restore Vista back (Because I'm having issues with obtaining software that came on it) So I can just do the "Upgrade" option instead of the full install when I put 7 back on. I lost like my DVD burning software, my webcam software, etc. etc.

Anyways, as I now have learned, my One Key recovery will NOT work.

My question is:

Has anyone had any success in altering the disk partitions?

I have a 250Gb Hitachi...but I have NO CLUE what the partition for the Lenovo drive was, nor what the title of the drive was.

If someone could shed some light on that I'd be very very very happy.

I tried to make a partition of exactly 27Gb with a minimum of 8Mb space through Disk Management...but my issue is that I CANNOT make the partition path D: - the only option is A through B, then E through Z.  - D, for whatever reason, has been omitted!!!

Yarghhhhhhhh!

>.<

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 372 of 590

2009-10-11, 20:43 PM

Dear Ishbar -- Don't think reinstalling Vista will solve your problem with drivers needed to use the DV-R drive.  What you need are "associated" software programs that will allow you to copy and write to a DVD -- there are at least two main systems -- the INCD system of Nero and the Easy CD Creator programs of Roxio (Sony).  You can get good DVD writers from both of them.  Some of the other systems may not work (like audio etc) because you are lacking some of the motherboard setup drivers -- I am not sure how much you wiped out when you installed Windows 7.  In this case, however, go out to the Lenovo site and I think you can download all the hardware drivers you need for your motherboard, video etc -- such as came with your original computer.  I would try all this before I retreated and reinstalled your operating system.  It is probably not the windows operating system that is lacking drivers.  It is the rest of your system.  Windows will many times provide general drivers (like for the monitor and cd-rom) that will suit your equipment, but other times, it needs the drivers for the hardware itself, from the company that manufactured it.  Anyway, consult the support section of Lenovo for your particular model of computer and see what they have there in the way of additional drivers.

Janice

Options

116 Posts

07-04-2009

Connecitcut

112 Signins

1033 Page Views

• Message 373 of 590

2009-10-11, 21:42 PM
I merged my D drive with my C Because of this OKR will not work. I am looking for the size of the partition given (in KB) of the C drive and the respective D drive I tried launching and it insists my issues are with the altered drive capacity, which is one of the WORST design choices this company could ever make. Who honestly has only ~25GB of data for their D partition? If anything, splt the remaining 235 GB and split it in half, that way your back up mirrors your drives capacity. How can I back up music/videos/photos with a secondary partition almost 10xs smaller than the C drive?! It's only natural someone with half a brain would want to merge that useless D drive with the C partition. Anyways, Im trying to launch One Key Recovery to restore Vista and upgrade to 7 ( as opposed to formating the drive and clean installing 7) I was merely stating that because of my full install I have none of the software at my disposal. This is the Shuttle software, Easy cam, Power2go,Dolby / Realtek audio enhancements, and Power managemet and softkey controls (jazz, pop, rock, normal buttons, short cut button, novo button) None of the software is available AND works if installed, so an upgrade to 7 from the factory install is the most logical way to snare software functionality and not have to hunt down drivers. I tried to get s CD perhaps of the restore but they want $60 for it, $10 for the disk and $50 for out of warranty fees, it's absolutely ridiculous, I'm trying to just get the fee waived but it's a pain and I am greatly disatisfied with this service. So Janice, I hope this better explains my issue, in no way did I want to clean install VISTA back on, I wanted to use the recovery console to RESTORE it to the factory settings...which is Vista, I am currently running 7 .
Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Message 374 of 590

2009-10-12, 19:16 PM

Ishbar -- as you describe the missing software -- this is exactly what I am telling you about.  These programs are NOT found within the Microsoft Vista program to my knowledge.  These are additional programs that came with your computer.   The realteck audio drivers will be found on the "drivers" disk that came with your computer -- help to make connections with your motherboard for proper sound performance.  I am fairly sure that these setup drivers can be found on the Lenovo site.  If they are now charging money for these, this is unconscionable.  They should have been provided with your new computer somewhere else besides on the hidden partition with the Windows operating system.  I think the way you are planning on trying to reinstall these drivers is not logical.  Install your operating system first (Wn7, or Vista) and then install these extra drivers second.  Because you deleted (by repartitioning) your complete setup, which included some extra software programs, you will hve to find these extra programs (perhaps buy them) elsewhere.  I would think that Lenovo would be obliged to furnish you the basic motherboard drivers nonetheless -- without charge!  This would probably include the Easy cam, REaltek audio, Power management and softkey controls.  Being out of warranty doesn't cut it in my book since these were essential files for operating your computer.  Give them a call and complain LOUDLY.  I got a CD with these drivers on them when I bought my notebook.  It is possible that you could go out to Realteck itself and get the audio drivers, I am not sure.  You have to know the name of your motherboard.  I will go out to Lenovo site and see what I can find -- if I see anything of interest, I will be back.

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Message 375 of 590

2009-10-12, 19:42 PM

For info and drivers on the Idea Pad Y510  go to the following link:

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=12

You should be able to find your motherboard drivers from there.  Bios, audio and graphics drivers listed.

Options

116 Posts

07-04-2009

Connecitcut

112 Signins

1033 Page Views

• Message 376 of 590

2009-10-14, 1:49 AM

Ok.

I'll try and explain again.

THIS is what happened.

I format C: drive

I install Windows 7

I merged (extend) C: with D:

I go to download the drivers / software from Lenovo

It won't let me, the install files claim my PC to NOT be a Lenovo

I try to use Lenovo One Key Recovery

It says C: has been altered (I increased the size) and cannot proceed any further.

I try to alter D: to best match what it was

Lenovo OKR still does not work

THAT is what I did.

Lenovo One Key Recovery RESTORES the Operating System back to what it was OUT OF THE BOX.

It does not just "Install Windows Vista" - It also includes Lenovo Software (SOME of which are NOT available on the website) and Registry options to IDENTIFY with the software the laptop as a LENOVO.

I am NOT trying to just "Format and Install Vista" - No, I am trying to restore it back to FACTORY settings.

As mentioned this includes Vista AND the Software / Drivers / Settings preconfigured out of the box.

Thats why I need the RECOVERY disks so that I can actually RESTORE it back to factory settings.

THATS what a recovery disk it.

IF I could have just installed software from the Driver disk provided I WOULD have.

This is not the case.

I hope this helps :\

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Message 377 of 590

2009-10-14, 16:56 PM

Ishbar -- I got the picture the first time, but I did not understand that Lenovo support site refuses to recognize your computer.  This is nothing short of astounding since I  thought they recognize the computer based on its harddrive registration number.... maybe not in this case, since this would not change despite what you did to the partitions.  If you changed the harddrive -- replaced it with a larger one or something, then you would have a problem.  I would still call the Lenovo support and straighten this out.  I still think that trying to setup your partitions like it was before so that you can use the one-key support is chasing the illusive leaf in the wind, maybe worse.  I would give that effort UP!   The one-key files may no longer be there, or may be corrupted.  You have two choices as I see it -- either pay Lenovo for a complete set of backup extra drivers, or call them to try to get  your machine recognized as a Lenovo machine  by the download software.  You must start all over, no matter what.... and this means installing the operating system (which you already did) AND all the drivers for your equipment, as listed at that Lenovo site that I sent to you.  When you installed the new operating Win 7 system, the program must have formatted the entire partition and destroyed the computer identification numbers that were stored somewhere on it.  The fact that you don't have the proper motherboard drivers remaining on the partition also indicates the program must have done this.  This is really tough, but not unsolvable... you just have to bite the bullet.  Sorry.  You can save some money by just ordering the hardware drivers, not the operating system, which you already own.  This is all that you are apparently lacking to have a completely operating system.

Options

116 Posts

07-04-2009

Connecitcut

112 Signins

1033 Page Views

• Message 378 of 590

2009-10-14, 19:54 PM
The OKR is intact, this I am sure of. There is SOMETHING in the coding where it only recognizes the HDD if the C: and D: partitions are exactly what they used to be. Factory shipped and such. --- I can't afford $60+ for a set of disks, simply because of my expired warranty.
--- My case as been escalated after speaking to a obstinant associate and then his supervisor. Allegedly I'll be getting a call or email from the supervisors management team personel in the near future
should any associates of lenovo want to look this case up my number is:WN126650
Should no resolution ever come I'll just live with this, though I am reconsidering Lenovo as my next laptop purchase in December... I need to be able to rely on the product AND the company behind it.
Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Message 379 of 590

2009-10-14, 20:10 PM

Ishbar -- Good luck!  Hang in there -- remember, squeaky wheel gets the grease (most of the time, anyway).

Janice

Options

1 Posts

10-23-2009

USA

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 380 of 590

2009-10-23, 21:23 PM

Please advise which drive I should install my additional software programs.  Is it more effective to install in the C drive with the pre-installed software so that all the programs are in one drive, or is it more effective to install these additional programs with my data in the D drive. 

Please note beside the One-Key Recovery option for restore, I also do scheduled full & incremental backups of both drives.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete