Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 381 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2009-10-23, 21:43 PM

jtorrens -- unusual question!  ALL "programs" (software to run things)will have at least some part of it installed on the c drive since this is where all of the drivers are stored (in the windows directory, system32 etc).  Also, the registry is located on drive C.    So -- it makes little difference where you put the bulk of the software files and instructions, as long as your operating system knows here it has been placed.  Where you put the larger part of your program will depend upon which partition has the most space...you make the choice.  Every program asks where you want to install the program files, so all you have to do is tell it to deposit them on whichever drive you choose.   If you are one of the unlucky ones to have a small C drive, you might consider placing most of a program in the larger D drive.   However, you must remember, this will not preserve the action part of the program (the drivers etc.) that will be deleted if you use your one-key to restore the C drive to factory default.  You will have to reinstall the program again to make it work.  Hope this helps.

Options

1 Posts

10-24-2009

Troy, Mi

4 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 382 of 590

2009-10-25, 20:26 PM

Thanks so much for all the info you posted on this issue.  In my case, I was hours away from buying an Apple Computer. Lenovo will never get my business again and I have explained the tremendous error Lenovo and Microsoft have made in customer education, public relations and engineering to many of my friends and colleagues.  Your info helped me correct the problem for $40.

Lenovo had a chance to correct this for customers for almost two years and did nothing.  I had to slog through 36 pages of rambling posts just to find answer. How sad.

Options

6 Posts

10-26-2009

Indonesia

7 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 383 of 590

2009-10-26, 1:33 AM

Hi, i'm one of lenovo user

I have lenovo Y450 preloaded with OEM Win Vista Home Premium. I have some problem because of my misunderstanding about function of Onkey Recovery(OKR). I tried to run OKR to set my notebook to initial state. In my case, i want to back to factory state. But on the half way, i tried to shutdown my notebook because recovery seems don't work (no progress after 2 hours). After thati tried to restart my notebook but i seen "missing BOOTMGR , press ctrl+alt+del" . I want to ask, what's that means? I can't use my notebook until now becase of that message. and I don't have recovery DVD. Before that i tried to make recovery image, but i save it on my hdd. what should i do ? :smileysad::smileysad::smileysad::smileysad:

Before, i tried to change the size of my hdd because i don't satisfy with the default set from factory

original :

C: 4++ GB

D: 32 GB (i don't know for what, but it seems the drivers and back up system placed there)

a hidden partition that i don't "touch"

I set it to :

C: 2++ GB (i reduce it but its weird)

F: 1++ GB (new partition from reduced system)

D: 32 GB (not change)

a hidden partition (not change)

Please if anybody know how to fix my notebook.

Thanks before.

Ideapad Y450 (cre2duo 7750, 2gb ddr3, nvidia geforce gt130 512mb, 500gb hdd)

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Message 384 of 590

2009-10-26, 19:47 PM

Cakep -- You are  what is known as "screwed!.  If you just purchased your notebook and are still under warranty, you might be able to get a recovery disk from Lenovo with the essential motherboard etc. drivers on it.  You will need it when you reinstall your Vista (or whatever).  Call Lenovo and get their advice, or go out to their support site and see if you can download all the appropriate files and programs on another computer.  Since you changed the size of your "C" drive, you will not be able to use your one-key.  It is an image set for a specific size drive, apparently.  Get some technical advice locally on how to set up your computer with appropriate partitions and operating system etc.  When you terminated your backup process prematurely (sometimes it takes hours and hours), you messed up the boot system.  You won't find much help here, the official Lenovo person (Mark?) hasn't been on this board for some time.

Options

6 Posts

10-26-2009

Indonesia

7 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 385 of 590

2009-10-27, 2:41 AM

Thanks janicej, i will try it

Options

1 Posts

10-30-2009

Indonesia

2 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 386 of 590

2009-10-30, 16:25 PM

Cakep -> I have same problem too.

Don't worry, i found a solution for this..

1. Do a vista clean install (any version of vista) from DVD drive.

2. When the installation finished, resize the partition to original state. (you can use the free EASEUS Partition Master)

3. install the OKR setup which saved in D: drive, or you can download it from the Lenovo website.

4. Now, you can make a recovery DVD from your latest backup image. but you still can't restore it to factory setting

note: this method doesn't repair the OKR button function.

i will also try to contact lenovo service center ASAP. it's better if our laptop has it all functions.

My Laptop: Ideapad Y550 Vista Home Premium P8700, 4GB DDR3 RAM, nVidia GT130M 512MB, 500 GB HDD.

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Message 387 of 590

2009-10-30, 20:14 PM

Please remember that if you do a "clean install" of your operating system, requiring a reformatting of your C drive, that you will undoubtedly have to also install new "chip set" drivers -- ie, as at the following site:

For info and drivers on the Idea Pad Y510  go to the following link:

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=12

You should be able to find your motherboard drivers from there.  Bios, audio and graphics drivers listed.  You need these to operate all of your computer equipment.

If you do all this, you will not need to access the one-key site at all.  Readjusting your partitions would probably be a good idea to make them more suitable for your needs.

Options

6 Posts

10-26-2009

Indonesia

7 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 388 of 590

2009-10-31, 13:44 PM

Ask again ....

Why i must install bios manually? I think bios should be installed on factory (I think bios on notebook and on PC desktop is same because its difficult to install bios on MoBo).

I'm confused, why lenovo place recovery system only on hdd without equip it with DVD rescue (or whatever ...) ? This will be very troublesome if the damage as I have happened again (in case I forgot to back up my system again). I think any user will chose to back to factory setting (if notebook equiped with preinstalled OS).

Options

6 Posts

10-26-2009

Indonesia

7 Signins

82 Page Views

• Message 389 of 590

2009-10-31, 13:51 PM

To erdewe ...

Sorry to moderator but I want to ask with my language just a bit. Thanks.

Erdewe, q mau nanya kmu kebagian jatah buat upgrade ke windows 7 ? Yang ada di promonya Lenovo. Q sebenernya mau order tapi gak punya cc. Punya saran gak ? (Maaf pake bahasa Indonesia, Inggrisku kacau)

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Message 390 of 590

2009-10-31, 20:57 PM

Sorry CakeP, I did not mean the "bios", which as you correctly assumed is already installed in a chip on the motherboard.  The extra files that I was referring to are the "working files" for your motherboard equipment such as the audio, the video card and the various attachments (like the cd/dvd rom).  When you format the harddrive in preparation for installing a "clean" install of the operating system, you wipe these out of the system.  You must install them again.  These files are called "drivers" and can be found for your laptop on the Lenovo support site.  You do not have to reinstall the bios (cmos)instructions.  Some people like to "update" the bios, but I would not try this if I were you.

Janice

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)