Philippines

22 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 421 of 590

Re: Disk Partitioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2010-01-13, 10:33 AM

@shinuvk

As of now im having trouble with my internet connection thus giving me difficulty in uploading the ISO, if someone here is from the Philippines, i can share the iso image and he can share it on the net. i tried many times uploading the ISO but failed. I will try it again as soon as i fixed my internet connection...

As of this moment, im using my Y450 without the OKR functionality... still searching for a definite solution and will update you guys the soonest posible time.

@loggerhead

You can reformat your C drive and do a clean install of the windows 7 without losing you OKR functionality as long as you dont mess with the partition.

Options

3 Posts

03-03-2009

Delhi

8 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 422 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2010-01-13, 13:35 PM

hi mark_lenovo i want to know that how i can reactivate the NOVO button in my y410. i have repartitioned my drive as 25gb c:,

25gb D:

rest e:

i have OKR 6.0 software.

please can you tell me the procedure to reactivate NOVO button. i have xp installed in c drive

thanks

Options

7 Posts

01-18-2010

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

22 Signins

187 Page Views

• Views: 187
  • Message 423 of 590

2010-01-18, 6:32 AM

Wow. Thank you participants in this thread. I just finished reading all 400+ posts and feel like I've completed an online class on HD management and backup.

I am a novice who is concerned about making sure I have an adequate backup and restore strategy for my new Lenovo IdeaPad 550, and I have few questions. If anyone can provide ANY insight I would be MOST grateful.

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit with 4 GB RAM and a 320GB HD partitioned as follows (according to Disk Management):

C: NTFS (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Capacity 252.89 GB, Free Space 223.02 GB

Lenovo D: NTFS (Logical Drive)

Capacity 30.25 GB, Free space 15.29 GB

No drive letter: undefined file system (OEM Partition)

Capacity 14.75 GB, Free Space 14.75 GB

No drive letter: NTFS (System, Active, Primary Partition)

Capacity 200 MB, Free Space 168 MB

Q1: Am I correct in assuming that 14.75 GB OEM partition is the EISA partition I've read about in the thread?

Q2: Why does Disk Management show the entire 14.75 GB as being free space? Shouldn't it be almost full?

Q3: What is that 200 MB partition?

I have OKR 7.0 and recently ran System Backup to the default destination D:\Lenovo\OneKey Recovery\backup.wsi.

Q4: Am I correct in assuming this copied the OEM/EISA partition to D:? When I look at D: it appears to contain all the required Lenovo drivers (audio, camera, touchpad, VGA, Onekey_Recovery, etc.) Does it also contain Win 7?

Q5: If I do an OKR Restore To Factory Default, will this in effect use what was copied to D: to restore to C:? Will this restore Win 7 and all Lenovo drivers?

Q6: Am I correct in assuming any software I had installed on C: or any personal data on C: will be wiped out and not restored from D:?

I read in the OKR 6.0 documentation (that came with the laptop, not 7.0 documentation) that a system incremental backup can be done if it's to the same default designation on D:. Yet, when I select the System Backup a second time there is no incremental backup option, I'm simply told there is not enough space available for a system backup (probably because it already contains the first backup).

Q7: Why is that? Is it because there are no incremental system changes?

Q8: If I delete the initial system backup on D:, can I do another backup that will be more recent and contain all incremental changes?

I used OKR 7.0 to burn a Factory Default Recover Disc (two 4.7 GB DVDs).

Q9: Am I correct in assuming this is the same as doing the System Backup to the D: drive (except of course that it is external and not on the HD)?

I used OKR 7.0 to burn a Recovery Disc With Current System (five 4.7 GB DVDs).

Q10: Am I correct in assuming that if my HD crashes, I can use these DVDs to restore my entire C: drive (Win 7, Lenovo drivers, software apps and user data)?

Again, if anyone can provide ANY insight I would be MOST grateful.

BK

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 424 of 590

2010-01-19, 15:53 PM

To answer your questions about the drive descriptions -- I would say that a couple of these NTFS descriptions are duplicates.  You have ONE drive, totaling 350 -- all partitions should add up to approx. this amount in total.  It sounds like you have this 350 drive divided into 3 actual partitions -- a very large "C" partition -- about 250 G and two smaller ones -- the D -- about 32 G and the smaller "hidden" OKR partition, about 15GB (14.75GB).  Yes, this smaller partition is where the OKR is residing with your motherboard drivers and, apparently, your Win 7 files (this is a presumption, if it is structured as Lenovo has done in the past).  And yes, if you reinstall any operating system from this partition back to your C drive, it will wipe out all of your personal files and programs.  This makes this type of operation (in my opinion) completely useless except in times of extreme emergency when you don't mind reinstalling every thing else from scratch.  For this reason, most people have chosen to back up any really valuable files and programs to an independent backup system -- saves from alot of work in reinstalling things if you screw up the operating system really badly.  Its too bad that Lenovo can't see its way to supplying driver and operating system disks with the computer when they sell them, but I guess you can't fix stupidity.   Lenovo is not the only company that does this, by the way.    I gave up Dell computers years ago for similar reasons.   I would suggest that you download the Lenovo motherboard drivers while you still have a chance and also buy a set of Win 7 disks to fix your operating system instead of instituting the OKR restore.  I am not sure what is in backup D, but if you can see the files with Window Explorer, you should be able to tell whether the Windows system is there or not.  The incremental backup that you describe may be operating automatically.  Many of these backup programs do this automatically.  If you can see the files, check to see what their date of origin indicates -- if they are the latest and compare to your C files.  Not having this backup system, I can't really tell you what is going on.

Sounds like you are well on the way to getting the hang of your computer.  Congrats.

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 425 of 590

2010-01-19, 15:57 PM

Forgot to mention -- if you downloaded 5 DVDs from the backup system -- it no doubt does include all of the windows and driver files -- just my guess, of course.

Options

7 Posts

01-18-2010

22 Signins

187 Page Views

• Message 426 of 590

2010-01-20, 3:22 AM

Thank you, Janice, for your reply.  Does Mark from Lenovo ever reply?  There are many posts where he could have cleared up the confusion.

So my 320 GB drive has a 253GB C partition + a 30.25GB D partition + a 14.75GB unnamed partiton + (maybe) a 200MB unnamed partition.  That totals just under 300GB.  I don't understand where the other 20GB is (are).  Can anybody explain that?

The OKR 7.0 System Backup to the D partition copied 14.9GB of drivers but nothing that looks like Win 7.  So I think an OKR 7.0 Restore To Factory Default from D would restore the motherboard and Lenova drivers but not Win 7.  And there were no CDs included with the Y550, much less Win 7 CDs.  Shouldn't the Win 7 CDs have been included by Lenovo?  (Again, maybe Mark or someone from Lenovo can clear up the confusion.)

The OKR 7.0 burn of a Factory Default Recovery Disc created two 4.7GB DVDs containing \Boot, \EFI, \Servicing and \sources folders and files, plus backup.001 thru backup.069 files.

The OKR 7.0 burn of my 1-15-09 System Recovery Disc created five 4.7GB DVDs containing the same \Boot, \EFI, \Servicing and \sources folders and files, plus backup.001 thru backup.181 files.  Given the similarity to the Factory Default Recovery Disc, my guess is it includes my entire C partition, including Win 7 and all my personal software apps and data on C.

So it appears that if Win 7 crashes, I can restore it from the 1-15-09 System Recovery Disc.  If the drive fails and needs to be replaced, I'm not sure if I can restore the C partition from the recovery disc set.  Can anybody confirm or dispute this?  The documentation is extremely unclear.

Given this uncertainty and the need to back up and protect our investments (I bought my wife the exact same IdeaPad Y550), today I bought a 1 terabyte Western Digital external HDD for $110.  Over the next several days I'll learn how to use it.  And, I'll attempt to contact Lenovo for a set of Win 7 CDs.  Has anybody had any experience doing this?  Is there a cost?  Again, one would think the CDs would have been included with our Y550 purchases.

Options

3965 Posts

11-20-2007

US

23520 Signins

803285 Page Views

• Views: 803285
  • Message 427 of 590

2010-01-20, 3:24 AM

BK wrote:

Does Mark from Lenovo ever reply?  There are many posts where he could have cleared up the confusion.

Welcome to the forum!

While there are a few Lenovo employees in here helping out on a volunteer basis, this is not an official support channel with dedicated Lenovo support personnel assigned to it. Instead, this is designed to be a user-to-user support and discussion forum. You may or may not get an answer directly from one of the Lenovo employees as there are way more of us than them and all of them, even Mark, have full-time jobs doing other things.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

7 Posts

01-18-2010

22 Signins

187 Page Views

• Message 428 of 590

2010-01-20, 3:27 AM

Oops, my System Recovery Backup was for 1-15-10, not 1-15-09.

Is it 2010 already?

Options

7 Posts

01-18-2010

22 Signins

187 Page Views

• Message 429 of 590

2010-01-20, 3:42 AM

Thank you for the clarification, Janice.  In looking through my User Guide, I see I should contact Lenovo at -877-4LENOVO or at http;//consumersupport.lenovo.com.  And, I appreciate any insight you or other forum participants can provide in regards to my previous post.

Options

7 Posts

01-18-2010

22 Signins

187 Page Views

• Message 430 of 590

2010-01-20, 3:45 AM

Oops, again.  Thank you for the clarification, JANE.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete