India

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 441 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2010-02-11, 12:59 PM

Hi, 

I got an U150 notebook. I initially had a C Drive which had the OS and other applications, then a D Drive which had the Lenovo drivers and one hidden partition. I had resized my partitions so that I could keep my laptop more organized. However I did not touch the hidden partition as it was meant for the One Touch Recovery. But when I wanted to create a Back up disc in the Factory settings mode, I could not create a disc and after that I noticed that the Hidden Partition was visible. Is there any solution to restore the One Touch Recovery system. Please help. Thank you.

Options

4 Posts

11-30-2009

Sao Paulo - Brazil

43 Signins

337 Page Views

• Views: 337
  • Message 442 of 590

2010-02-15, 13:41 PM

1. Download PTEDIT32.exe.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/PTEDIT32.zip

2. Run with administrator privileges and change the partition type to 12.

Options

14 Posts

02-18-2010

Vitória, ES, BraSil with "S"

15 Signins

121 Page Views

• Views: 121
  • Message 443 of 590

2010-02-20, 22:50 PM

I have an U350 notebook.I want to creat a partition only for my data (pics, music, movies, docs) and move those files for the new particion (my documents folder). However i´m concerned doing this and dameging one key recovery funcionalities.

The computer is istill in factory configuration:"C" Drive (253GB) which windows 7 home basic is installed and other applications. "D" Drive (29,7GB) which has the Lenovo drivers and one hidden partition.

So, the questions are:

1) If i creat another partition for my data, what is gonna happen to one key recovery?

2) I would save my files in "D" partition without resizing it, but there is not enought space in it, that´s the reason becouse i need to resize "D" or creat another partition reducing "C".

How can I do this without problems?

The last question: If i have a bootble device with windows 7, and a backup of my files (and drives) in a safe place, is it necessary to keep one key recovery once i can reinstall the OS from  another device??

Thank everybody,

ps: HELP WILL SAVE THE WORLD

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 444 of 590

2010-02-21, 17:29 PM

Am not familiar with your model of Lenovo, but in the past any changes to the partition structure of your notebook harddrive rendered the one-key recovery system  useless.  My advice is to make backup disks of your recovery system -- Windows files plus motherboard drivers and forget the one-key recovery system.  Be sure to go out to Lenovo to download your notebook drivers before your warranty expires.  Once you have the proper recovery files, you can do anything to the drive as you wish.  Recovery will depend upon reinstalling these files, if that is ever needed.  A better recovery system is to buy a backup system, such as Paragon or Avanquest partition and/or backup managers and establish a routine for backing up your C drive with all of its files, including the My Documents and all the other frills and programs.  If you do this, you will not have to reinstall your basic operating system and motherboard drivers again.  The backup will  suffice in time of trouble.  Make your partitions as you wish, but be sure to leave a large C drive (at least 80-100Gb) as windows has a propensity for loading the operating system area with all kinds of files.  In addition, I am sure you will want to add various movie makers, and other programs to the C drive.  Once you have it all set -- establish a routine back up system to an exterior USB drive, or to DVD disks as a safeguard against accidents.  JMHO, for what it is worth.  The one-key recovery system has proven to be next to useless or most people.

Options

1 Posts

02-21-2010

INDIA

1 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 445 of 590

2010-02-21, 18:48 PM

Hi Dude!

I am having Lenovo Ideapad Y510 and with a VISTA pre installed. I want to change my OS to Win 7 a Clean Install does it affect my ONE KEY RECOVERY.

IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO DOWNGRADE ONCEAGAIN TO VISTA IF I INSTALL WINDOWS 7 AS A CLEAN INSTALL IN MY LAPTOP USING NOVO..

PLEASE REPLY

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 446 of 590

2010-02-21, 20:31 PM

Hi Tharun -- Simple answer to that one -- the one key "reinstall" is only one operating system -- the one that you bought the computer with (Vista?) -- Win 7 is a new operating program and as such is NOT on the one-key backup operating system.   If you activate the one key after you install Win 7, you will get the "old" Vista program back -- none of your other files, however.  I would worry that with a "clean" install of Win 7 that you will wipe out all of the motherboard drivers and other adjunct programs -- you had better download the essential drivers from Lenovo before you try to install the Win 7 program.  You will need to reinstall the drivers, I am fairly sure.

Options

14 Posts

02-18-2010

15 Signins

121 Page Views

• Message 447 of 590

2010-02-21, 21:12 PM

I got your point. But i gues its not necessary downloading the drives from lenovo website once my drive "D" has all this files and other lenovo software like the energy management.

However, thanks a lot.

Options

1 Posts

02-21-2010

35 Olde Orchard Road, Clinton, CT 06413

2 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 448 of 590

2010-02-21, 23:18 PM

The problem with the Lenovo partition system on a Y510 machine is the boot drive (C:) is the drive that all programs try to use to install their programs.  The machine was setup with a D: drive partition containing about 233 Gb.  The amount of space on the C: Drive is almost down to zero so you cannot install programs without problems.  Since you cannot extend the partition of the C: Drive, can you just make one large C: Drive?

External hard drives work find for storing photo's, documents etc. so I don't see why we need the partions that were setup on the original machine.

Is there someway around this without reformatting the whole system?

Options

13866 Posts

12-07-2009

CZ

9007 Signins

170449 Page Views

• Views: 170449
  • Message 449 of 590

2010-02-22, 13:19 PM

@ pbukowsky

try disk clean-up and do not forget to delete unnecessary copies of recovery and backup files, too.

Due to my absence, I may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Options

14 Posts

02-18-2010

15 Signins

121 Page Views

• Message 450 of 590

2010-02-22, 14:00 PM

Hello,

I want to install a windows 7 diferent from the one pre installed in my u350.

But, before doing this is there a way of backing up my original windows 7 so that i can reinstall it? But, a need to be able to reinstall the factory windows 7 without using the one key recovery becouse i´m going to resize the partitions, and in consequence from what i´ve already red here kill the one key recovery.

So i ask if is it possible to make a backup (or image, i dont know) of the OS using the one key recovery and then if i want to restore it without the one key recovery (because i guess it wont work)?

Once my notebook doesent have an optical drive and also i dont have the win7 original dvd (OEM), i need a way to backup the original OS so tha i can restore it.

Thank you

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete