Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Views: 25103
  • Message 51 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-07-25, 4:48 AM

Well, you may.

But it's better to not to touch them since they're not just usual folders but some folders related with registry keys, so just keep away - no one knows what surprise redmond programmers hide there and what will happen if you remove them :robothappy:

//help will save the world
Options

14 Posts

07-24-2008

U.S.

12 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 52 of 590

2008-07-25, 11:48 AM

That's not a very helpful answer.

Can someone else please answer my question? I am asking if there is any problem with Moving personal folders from my C drive to the D drive. From all the prior discussion, it was my understanding that this was how to balance the two drives. However, skripatch's reply is suggesting this this Move may be harmful to the computer.

What folders are safe to Move and which are not safe to move?

Thanks,

Ann

Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Message 53 of 590

2008-07-26, 4:45 AM

It is safe to move folders under two conditions:

1)Create folder , that you will use after moving, beforehand

2)Do not delete original folder after  moving

This is appliable to all folders and subfolders within "Users" and "Documents".

Do not change location of other folders on C drive.

Options

14 Posts

07-28-2008

New Jersey

49 Signins

282 Page Views

• Views: 282
  • Message 54 of 590

2008-07-28, 20:02 PM

Dear Skripatch,

I've had a Y510 for over a month.  It was purchased by my employer to do kitchen designs.  After loading only my graphic program, I came to find that my C drive was 75% full.  I've read all the threads over the past couple of weeks.  I've called Lenovo support, who said that only the operating sustem should be on C.  Well, thats a great idea, but after uninstalling, and getting really frustrated, I can't help but wonder if Lenovo wants to sell computers with hard drives configured this way, why don't they set it up for you with the loaded programs and data on D?  Why is the entire filing structure designed to go to C: and not D; as they smugly tell you to do and then hang up?  I'm very frustrated, and if I  could return this I would.

I get the idea, but I seem doomed to need hours of set-up time to make the Y510 do something counter to the way Lenovo bundled it up.  And after all the set up, there is no guarantee that things will work as desired, with file paths pointing different ways.

I'm sorry, I think Lenovo has been negligent in marketing these computers this way, with no support and having to post to forums for a clue about how to make a new laptop work, unless one is a guru, like you.  What is a regular guy, who must remain productive to do?  Beg for help?  This is absurd.

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 55 of 590

2008-07-28, 20:31 PM

Your notion of "protecting" my data is 100% off base.  You could have made the C drive 40GB and accomplished the same thing and we would have room for (1) additional programs (2)Memory work (3)My documents folder.  Have you ever heard of backup files??????  Or external harddrives and dvds to store "data" upon?  Logic tells us that if we install part of a program on another drive, the drivers and registry instructions are still on the C drive.  What do you think happens to these programs if I am to reinstall the outdated files and folders in your OneKey recovery module?????  Come on now -- get smart.  Your scheme may work for those that just want to punch email and look at movies, but for the rest of us, this scheme is just plain stupid!

For the concerned -- change your hard disk password  (F2), buy a hard disk partition manager (vers. 9.0) from Paragon and change the size of your C drive.  Then, back up your system to DVD or to the smaller D partition.  It will take about 11GB.  Buy yourself a 500 GB external USB hard drive and be happy.  Lots of room to save things.

Options

9 Posts

07-29-2008

United States of America

76 Signins

1158 Page Views

• Views: 1158
  • Message 56 of 590

2008-07-29, 16:18 PM
Message Edited by MTDoiT on 10-03-2008 02:44 PM
Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2030 Signins

25103 Page Views

• Message 57 of 590

2008-07-29, 16:46 PM

MTDoiT

Someone, give me patience to answer on this.

First of all - that is not a problem. It doesn't need a fix. It's a way to organise your data so that it is not lost at crashday. If you didn't have an experience of loosing every file on C after a crash - my congratulations, you'll sure have it. And after that you'll ask : "Where were my eyes when I placed everything on C drive? All my music, moovies and pics? I sure can backup my system,registry and progs by an Image, but backuping all my data is too hard - it's too much to backup! Why didn't I place it on D drive that is empty and is specially made for that?"

Also if you think it's a problem why do you ask Lenovo for fix? Lenovo made a laptop, not the OS. If you can't tune up FreeBSD on y510 - you shouldn't blame Lenovo but yourself on your lack of knowledge.

To change install path of programs run regedit (Start->Run->type regedit) and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion, there you'll see a key named ProgramFilesDir, change it's value to any path you like.

Options

14 Posts

07-28-2008

New Jersey

49 Signins

282 Page Views

• Views: 282
  • Message 58 of 590

2008-07-29, 17:05 PM

Skripatch,

I am sorry to test your patience.

I appreciate your response, I really do.  And yes, most of the users on this forum are more experienced than I.  But I am not a novice, either.  I guess what I don't understand is, who sets up these computers with preloaded OS's and bundled software?

The fact that it is all loaded into C:, Out of the box, the C: drive is 75% full!,  with the paths set up  for saving data to C:., Thats what irritates me.  If this computer, or the OS, or the Bundle, or whatever, is for advanced users only, they should say so.

I believe I should be able to take a new computer out of the box, read the 'Fast Set-up Guide' and load my necessary software and be able to go to work.  Somebody loaded this computer contrary to the way I'm being told to set it up.  It has 74% of the d" drive already filled before I've even touched it, and that requires a lot of work to move and get up and running.

I use a graphics program that takes up 3.7 gb of space, and it wants to be in the C: drive.  I know I can place my data files on D; I know I can move and save my pictures or music to D: Thats not a 'problem'  Why should I have to do all this work to get a new computer to work?

Don't you think that there's something wrong with that?

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 59 of 590

2008-07-29, 17:13 PM
What an attitude! If it was so easy to manipulate the registry to reset program location, why doesn't Lenovo do this right up front?  You start out by assuming people are dumbasses when you set up the computer the way you have.  Putting the "Program" directory on another drive doesnt remove all the essential drivers and registry instructions from the Windows directory on C.  That I can assure you.  Bad assumption, again.  Make the C drive larger, and most won't have any quibbles.  Delete the nice little one-key facility and I will be indeed happy.  Just give me the disks for reinstallation.  I need no more.... and, most people won't.  Your fantasy with "crashes" is just that -- your fantasy.  Not only does your precious backup program files and other (mostly unwanted) files become outdated the moment a person turns on the internet (upgrades begin almost immediately), but the facility quickly becomes absolutely useless in the end.  What is wrong with just updating the operating system -- this usually can be done with out affecting other program files etc.  Is there something about Vista that we don't know about??  Why does it need to scrape the disk clean when resetting?  Other operating systems don't function that way.
Options

9 Posts

07-29-2008

United States of America

76 Signins

1158 Page Views

• Views: 1158
  • Message 60 of 590

2008-07-29, 17:54 PM
Message Edited by MTDoiT on 08-01-2008 02:22 PM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms