Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 61 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-07-29, 19:50 PM

All,

Just a clarification - skripatch is not a Lenovo employee, but has volunteered a lot of his time and knowledge to help with the Idea and 3000 series laptops here in this forum.   I make this point because it seems the discussion was becoming a bit contentious, and the use of the pronoun "you"  in representing Lenovo may have been mis-interpreted. 

I appreciate and understand the frustration expressed in regard to the partitioning scheme expressed on this thread and elsewhere here in the forum.  

Lenovo is aware of the challenges expressed here associated with the implementation of One Key Recovery, and I believe some changes / updates are in development.  

Mark

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 62 of 590

2008-07-29, 20:22 PM

Dear Mark -- thanks for the straight forward answer.  We appreciate that.  Future customers will much appreciate any changes and/or improvements Lenovo will make.  I guess I did think that  Skripatch was a member of Lenovo.  I apologize for the mistake.  I hope, however, that Lenovo will take some of these remarks to heart and do something about the problem.  It WAS a big problem for me until I finally solved it -- I spent days worrying over it.  Now, of course, my one-step recovery system is defunked.  That was my choice, however.  I chose to revamp the partitions rather than turn the computer back  to Tiger, where I bought it.  It looks like a nice computer, and I think I will enjoy using it (now that I've fixed it, that is).

Options

14 Posts

07-24-2008

U.S.

12 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 63 of 590

2008-07-30, 1:44 AM

Mark,

Thanks for jumping in. I do need to register a complaint of sorts though. I'm one of those folks who's used a computer for 20-something years. Nonetheless, I don't have any advanced knowledge - no, I don't have any knowledge of partitioning. I bought the Y510 off the shelf at Office Depot because of the storage and the price tag. Almost immediately, problems started. I'm in grad school and use it for documents, internet and email. Plus personal finances and a few photos. Lenovo markets this computer to the general public. Why in the world did I have to come to a forum to understand what the D drive is for? It's not in the literature accompanying the computer. Try as I did, I could find no answer to why I had an empty D drive and a C drive with about 1% of usuable space in less than a month's time. I am still facing this same problem, even though I've moved personal folder to the D drive. Honestly, I'd return this and buy a Toshiba if it weren't such a hassle for me.

So, all I'm saying is that if Lenovo markets this product to the general public, then make it "user friendly" for us. Remember that old phrase? I'd thought it was an oxymoron but Lenovo has proven me wrong. Don't force us average computer users to have to wade throught the snarky comments of a "Guru" to try and make sense of the machine.

Ann

Options

14 Posts

07-28-2008

New Jersey

49 Signins

282 Page Views

• Views: 282
  • Message 64 of 590

2008-07-30, 2:12 AM

Mark,

Would you be good enough to try to contact Lenovo on behalf of all us users who have made the investment in a Y510, and see if they, or you, can issue an update, or coherent set of instructions to address this partitioning problem ?   I need to get this laptop working so I can get some designs done, software loaded,  and files transferred before my old Panasonic dies.

It should be obvious that bundling this computer with software loaded in C; and the filing system and God knows what else directed to stash away in C:, is a huge mistake.  If it were an empty computer with a notice of how the drives were allocated with instructions about how and where to install programs and data, that would be easier. 

Lenovo's first error(or Tigers, or Globals, etc..) was in selling these in this state to unsuspecting consumers.  The second mistake appears to be their lack of concern for the problems it has created.

Is help coming, or should I return this before I render it useless by trying to tinker with the OS?  (By looking at the date of your first post, 11/19/2007, has this really been going on for 6 months, and I just purchased this machine in July 08, and it is unresolved with no support!??

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 65 of 590

2008-07-30, 4:03 AM

Azmanathrt,

Just to clarify what you were reading in the first post - I registered in the forum on 11-19-07, and opened it to the public officially on 12-1-07.   My first post on this topic and the start of this discussion thread was 3-5-08.  

So, this particular discussion has been going on for about 4 months and seems to be heating up as more members join and share their experiences and point of view.   Initially, we characterized the issue was more about communication, and tried to address it through awareness (hence the start of this thread).  

Taw,

You make a good point that updating doccumentation on this in the ship group would have helped a lot.

All,

We have provided the customer feedback to development on the partioning schemes used on the IdeaPad and IdeaCentre products.  Let me check on the status and provide an update Thursday afternoon.

Mark

Options

3 Posts

07-30-2008

Illinois

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 66 of 590

2008-07-30, 4:22 AM

Mark, I can appreciate your position, BUT I, too, have been forced to learn the language of "partitioning" due to my lousy experience owning this Y510.  It was advertised at Office Depot as having a 250GB hard drive.  Well, with 29 gigs on the C drive, I am pretty much full and I cannot even run some of my programs.  I have been forced to rearrange things, put my photos on my D drive and learn how to do that. 

If the ONLY concern about people repartitioning the hard drive is that the One Key recovery won't work, I DON'T CARE. 

My bigger concern at this point is that if YOU care about that, then you must believe that this system is bound to crash on me.  If that's true, then I will lose all my data anyway, right?

So now that I have learned how to check computers for where their drives are partitioned, I ordered a local store employee to take a Toshiba laptop out of a brand new box and allow me to see where the drive is partitioned!  I was NOT going to buy it if it was the same as this.  And I can't even send this computer with my daughter off to college, which was the goal of owning this one.  She is not tech savvy enough to be able to deal with this C drive, D drive business.  

So now what do I do?  I don't want to deal with this either.  FULL at 29.1 gigs?  That's what it says.  The local mom and pop shop says they can fix it -- to the tune of $100 + $45/hour.  I just bought this a couple of months ago.  Had I known, this would have gone back to Office Depot within their return time.

I don't want to "dump" this on the unsuspecting public on eBay either.  That's not very nice.

I think Lenovo needs to change the way they market these - first.

I think Lenovo needs to set up some sort of exchange program through the stores we purchased them from.  Or through your web site.  There are a lot more unhappy customers than just us here on this message board.

Anyone that wants to reply back to me to tell me that the 188 gig D drive I have next to my 30 gig C drive is GOOD, I don't want to hear it.  

FIX it.  REPARTITION it.  But don't STICK Me with it.

Kim 

PS I bought the Toshiba tonight -- 110 of the 120 gigs are on the C drive.  It will be enough for my daughter at college -- for now.  But my son is a year behind her, and he will need one, so I need to get this straightened out before then. 

Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2032 Signins

25108 Page Views

• Views: 25108
  • Message 67 of 590

2008-07-30, 10:44 AM

azmanathrt, I appreciate any responce - forums are the place to express your point pf view, to discuss. I apologise for that, but disagree with your claim that your'e not a novice - dealing with C and D drives is such a simple thing that I'm used to since I'm age of 9 (nine) that it's really a surprise for me that this thread was created and so hot-discussed. maybe that's the problem - I'm so used to this that I'm too far from not so techy people...

Shortly I'm planning to post something that probably will clarify some of my points of view and reasons of my decisions in resolving  some issues - after I discuss that with Mark. I fully agree with you that lack of knowledge that disallows you to deal with laptop out-of-box is a problem (that's not about bad or good - it's a fact, I'm not saying that to hurt you, apologises if that sounds rude), but the question of who must provide this knowledge to customer remains opened. It's the matter of proportions - for me it's not even a problem but for many people that seems to be. This community and you personally help me to understand many things, thanks a lot. This experience is valuable.

janicej, good to hear that you've lurked for some information and tuned your system the way you like. Also nice that you like Lenovo laptop. Can't get why do you connect updates and fully scraped disks? Updates are performed after every OS reinstll - it's not only about Lenovo, it's in whole world. Vista reinstall doesn't need to have a clear disk, but it is likely. Any system that is restored from image (including Linux) clears a partition - it's usual. 

Here're some facts for you about my "crash fantasies" - Amount of cler reinstall XP&Vista on computers and laptops during June was 11 - all these were performed by hands with drivers&software reinstall; amount of restored Vista&XP from backup images made by my past clients with aferwards tuning without any of my help was 6; amount of issues resolved at different stages (from not dangerous to critical near-dead) was more than 30. That's personally, not by phone and internet - I do not count these. All cases of reinstallation were data-lossy thanks only to my work. All image-restoring procedures were performed in 10 minutes including all tunes and not including updates. Clear reinstall took more than hour every time. 

If you didn't have a case with crash than listen to those who's dealing with them is everyday's reality.

In addition to Mark's remarks (:robothappy:) I can say that I'm here for my own decision of getting more experience.

MTDoiT, in that Microsoft page you posted it is not said that it's impossible. It's said that it is not recommended and explained why. If you do not need System Files Checker and Windows Media Player and  Internet Explorer you can perform that with some additional efforts. Now you can see why Lenovo doesn't reallocate Program Files directory, also registry is on disk C and most programs are useless missing registry - so no profit of storing programs on D if reinstall anyway makes them useless. Good that you agree with "dividing programs and user data is usefull". On one hand I agree with you that NOVO must handle resized C partition, but on another it makes people to know more about what and how they do on their laptops - like placing data on different, not so risky, partition. After some work on Vista 30 gb partition much place can be freed there - problem is in Microsoft recommended settings that all laptopmakers have to del with.

Microsoft recommends lots of things to do or not to do. I suppose that Lenovo follows that recomendations and if you need some things turned off or turned on - you tune that on your own. Also, tuning user's files allocation on drive D by default is completely wrong because this can be a surprise for those who know that by default all these folders must be on C drive (as Microsoft recommends by default). 

And sorry for that moovie typo, I didn't want to hurt you that much, hope you're allright after such a shock. English is not my native language and I'm working on it's improving.

taw, lack of space depends on many things - temp folders, System Restore Points, giant swap-file, Microsoft updates backups. You can be surprised how much garbage is stored on your HDD. Buying any computer involves you into this - buying that Toshiba woun't free you off - all that will be the same, just not so noticeable.Earlier or later you'll be used to it anyway.

klperez,  you will not lose your data if you accept some little steps - re-read this thread. Remember that no one is crash-protected by 100%. Most of your post sounds like "I have a Ford, but no one said me I have to deal with gasoline and oil, with carwashers and water-filling issues! I don't know how to drive it, I don't know how to turn left and right, FIX MY CAR SO THAT I CAN JUST DRIVE IT FROM HOME TO WORK!!!!!!".

Thanks for your post - it prolounged my life - I laughed greatly :robotvery-happy:

Mark, thanks a lot for your input. I have some ideas and will e-mail them to you in few days.

//help will save the world
Options

14 Posts

07-28-2008

New Jersey

49 Signins

282 Page Views

• Message 68 of 590

2008-07-30, 12:36 PM

Thank you for getting back to me(us). I look forward to hearing what the Customer Feedback department has to say on Thursday.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Options

14 Posts

07-28-2008

New Jersey

49 Signins

282 Page Views

• Message 69 of 590

2008-07-30, 12:51 PM

Skripatch,

Thank you for your answer and patience with those with far less technical experience than you.  I look forward to hearing your recommendations or steps to resolve some of these partitioning issues.(it is an issue for me!)

I personally think the concept of keeping all data in the safest possible place is a sound one.  I'm all for it, just need to get up to speed on how to configure it without creating other problems by moving files without the experience.  It's like many other things, like architecture, if you make a change on page 2, there is likely an effect on some other pages as well.  I know about a lot of things with regard to computers, but not about registry values, or other things that may be impacted by moving files, data, or pprograms.  I'm sure everyone has an opinion as to how much space should be allocated to each drive, but I would guess it varies by user and what their needs are.  Nonetheless, I know you don't need to do this(or get paid for it), and thank you for your time and contribution to this forum(to which I am a new member).

I use a program in the Kitchen Cabinet industry called 20/20 Design, and it is notoriously unstable with the best computer system running in th background.  This program will crash many times a day, and becuase they have a lock on the industry, they never get all the bugs fixed before rolling out a new version.  To have additional computer issues besides an unstable program will only make my life miserable.

Thanks again for your help. 

Options

9 Posts

07-29-2008

United States of America

76 Signins

1158 Page Views

• Views: 1158
  • Message 70 of 590

2008-07-30, 17:41 PM
Message Edited by MTDoiT on 08-01-2008 02:21 PM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms