Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

07-30-2008

Illinois

5 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 81 of 590

Re: Disk Partitioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-07-31, 20:28 PM

I read through the instructions from Janice, and think I could do that, but I did buy the extended warranty, and called the company and they said if ANYTHING happens after I do something like that, the warranty is null and void.

So....

I guess I could wait until Lenovo comes up with THEIR way of re-doing this to make my computer user-friendly.  

Sorry, moderators, for the use of the term "guru."  It was one which had been lovingly applied to that guru before, either by him/herself or by one of the moderators.  I meant it in a totally respectful manner, and was only pointing out that since I am NOT one, I would appreciate help, not humiliation, in resolving what I consider to be a problem.

Kim 

Options

14 Posts

07-28-2008

New Jersey

49 Signins

282 Page Views

• Views: 282
  • Message 82 of 590

2008-07-31, 20:49 PM

We spoke with Lenovo Customer support at 877-453-6686.  They are sending us, for free, discs that will remove the current one key set up and allow us to install the all software from scratch into one big C drive.  At this point, we don't care about the 1 Key Feature.  Too much time and aggravation has been expended.

Unfortunately, the recovery discs that come with the Y510 do not include this disc they are sending: the discs included in the box will only restore it to its original configuration with the partitioning.

We have 2 of these IdeaPads, and will report to you the outcome after we have basically installed Vista and its necessary components, and then whatever software WE want.  We may choose to make a smaller D partition, but since most of our programs want to install into C, even in Expert or Custom Mode, we need at least 80gbs in C: at the least.

What's ironic is that Windows Vista automatically downloaded Service pack 1, which is said requires about 5gb of free space.  There is not 5gb of free space on the C drive with only the software this came loaded with.

This is an attempt to salvage our investment, and will probably give these units to others in the office requiring less programs and a lightweight video card.  Thos of us who need to use graphically demanding software should not have even tried to make these Y510 do more than they were designed to do.  At under $800 each, I guess you get what you pay for. (but that does not mean it is okay to market laptops that require reformating to be useful!)

Good luck to all, and I'll let you know how the removal of the partition and onekey worked out.

Jeff

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 83 of 590

2008-07-31, 20:59 PM

All,

Ed is correct - there are updates on the horizen for both the desktop and notebooks which will provide either a single C drive, or adjust the C drive size to account for the majority of the drive space.  Exact implementation  and distribution details could vary between notebook / desktops.   This looks like it will be a matter of several weeks barring unforseen delays.  

Mark 

Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 84 of 590

2008-07-31, 21:14 PM
Dear Kiperez -- I can appreciate your concern about the warranty, but consider another aspect.  I bought a very expensive (at the time) laptop in 1997 for $3,000 -- it NEVER packed it in -- used it for a few years.  Unfortunately, the battery went defunk within a couple of years and I could never replace it.  Still, plugging it in, I carried on.  Then the computer industry took off like a blue streak leaving my BIG 800 MB harddrive and 16 MB RAM memory in the dust.  Not to mention the 100MHz CPU!  Did I need a warranty?????  I think not.  I still have the machine, but can no longer find practical use for it.  Sorry to say, but in the computer world, these things do not last long no matter what kind of warranty you have -- that is reality.  I took to rebuilding my everyday computers in order to keep up -- but, I was never able to open that laptop, even to increase the RAM -- the max would have been 64MB.  I did use it though for years, as I said, mainly for getting to the internet on travel.   It had a great modem.  The hard drive would only hold Win95 and one or two programs, so I was pretty limited as to what I could do.  No USB ports, I am sorry to say.   I am hoping that this Lenovo laptop will give me at least as many years -- we will see.  The Lenovo was a darned sight cheaper than my original laptop, for sure.  Just something to think about.  Putting it all in perspective, and being philosophical.
Options

73 Posts

07-28-2008

Maryland

89 Signins

373 Page Views

• Views: 373
  • Message 85 of 590

2008-07-31, 21:22 PM
Dear Mark -- Good news!  PLease be sure to let us know the link and when we can download these essential programs.  Thanks to the Lenovo staff for taking the time to help us.
Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2032 Signins

25108 Page Views

• Views: 25108
  • Message 86 of 590

2008-08-01, 15:21 PM

My apologies - I was on a leave for two previous weeks and didn't have much time to answer to all posts - had a rare opportunity to lolok them throughFrom monday back to work... and discussions :robothappy:

Thanks for those who read my posts and try to understand technical solutions inside. I see that most of that people passed through some Windows crashy situations and understand that kind of partitioning.

Also thanks for those who did not appreciate this partitioning - it seems like some amount of people really needs large one disk instead of two. 

Some effect is already taken - I have reports that in Russia appeared Y510-6a that comes with 100-gb C: disk.

To all that jokes of my status - I didn't claim myself a guru. That status was given to me on this forum. If someone can help me and will post solutions almoust on every topic that would be greatly appreciated since I'm trying to help everyone around this section with rare help.Volounteers, where are you? Or just jokes and pokes? I don't care much about that kind of jokes. I have patience for all of you - once in 100 posts I make one answer on those that spoil my patience, sorry for that.

I posted my june experience not to show my greatness, but to tell that I had some kind of experience and want to share it.

My opinion that NOVA must be configured so that C disk could be repartitioned to make customers happy. Lenovo had an experience with custom imaging software - part of ThinkVantage. After time it seemed to be causing more troubles than help because it needed some skills and knowledge to deal with.So, NOVA is made so that you don't need any knowledge.

//help will save the world
Options

26 Posts

06-15-2008

Russia

73 Signins

532 Page Views

• Views: 532
  • Message 87 of 590

Re: Disk Partioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

2008-08-01, 15:23 PM

Quite a heated discussion we have here, eh? ^^" After reading the last few pages I though I should drop some ideas here myself 

First, I have to state that looking at the problem as it was being discussed here I`m on scripatch`s side. For those using 1Key Recovery on 100 Gb C: drive loss of data may come as a shock. I myself have been using 30Gb C: drives to store system since Windows 2000 and all other data (including work data from programs installed on drive C: ) I placed on drive D:. The reason - you can execute a quick system recovery with something like Acronis, but if you keep your work on system disk you will lose a bit too much since recovery erases all info that was on the failed system. So - having all you can on drive D: is a failsafe solution for such cases. 

On the other hand... with Microsoft releasing Windows Vista  and programs starting to get REALLY huge 30 Gb may have become somewhat small, for most users it`ll be OK btw, not many of us work with gigantic programs that can only install on C:, but I do understand the feelings of ones that do. For them,such a setup can be quite bad. However since 1Key recovery can`t be tuned to save their programs they can as well forget about it and resize partitions manually. Programs like Parted Magic come to mind. Truly - I don`t have a slightest idea why will they need 1 Key R if they`ll have after it just a running Vista  and all of those programs to install back... might as well make a recovery USB-HDD with programs like Acronis.

On the other hand still... I think the discussion has went the wrong road... The correct line would be - "Why can`t Lenovo staff make a recovery function that doesn`t care about partition sizes?" Really, anyone who worked with Acronis knows that it could care less about how big the partition is while backuping or restoring, only info counts in the end. It just asks user about the desired size of the partition to restore to... 
Message Edited by Zekses on 08-01-2008 08:27 AM
Options

1 Posts

08-01-2008

USA

3 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 88 of 590

2008-08-01, 17:55 PM

Hello,

Are there any updates yet for the partitioning issue? While I like my Y510 overall, I've had numerous headaches related to the lack of overall space on the C: drive. I'm looking forward to a fix.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 89 of 590

2008-08-01, 18:34 PM

Zed411,

I provided an update yesterday and said the outlook is several weeks to deliver an update process for existing customers to change the partition.   We may indeed be shipping new models with a revised scheme already.

Mark

Options

14 Posts

07-24-2008

U.S.

12 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 90 of 590

2008-08-02, 13:57 PM

Mark,

How will current users receive this update process you mentioned?

Ann

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms