Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

05-10-2008

South East Asia

9 Signins

103 Page Views

• Views: 103
  • Message 1 of 4

Dual Channel Memory

2008-05-10, 9:54 AM
My Y310 notebook came with 1GB RAM and with memory so cheap I would like to upgrade to the 2x2GB maximum. I realise XP doesn't see all of the 4GB but that's okay. I was hoping to enable dual channel memory and if I decide to upgrade to Vista later the memory can be used then.

I don't have access to memory modules in kit form e.g. 2x2GB but if I buy 2 modules of say Crucial RAM from hopefully the same batch then should I expect them to run in dual channel anyway or would my notebook require truly identical modules for dual channel. Anyone running dual channel without having purchased a memory kit?
Answer
Options

12 Posts

05-05-2008

Singapore

25 Signins

506 Page Views

• Views: 506

Re: Dual Channel Memory

2008-05-13, 4:29 AM
You don't really have to purchase kits. But it would be nice if you can actually "visually" compare the RAMs.

Having the same brand, same chip manufacturer (name printed ion the ICs of the RAM, e.g. nanya, elpida, etc.). CAS Latency timings  (DR2 667 2GB are usualy CL5) and same size; should give you Dual-Symmetric on the rams on your y310. Usually buying both rams from the same place gives you the same values for the list stated.

I have a Y410 running on 2x2GB rams (I only see 3GB though due to XP). But they are running Dual-Symmetric. Download tools such as CPUZ.exe can validate Dual Channel settings.

But don't expect a big jump in performance. I read an article that you should feel a modest 8% increase on ram performance compared to not having it in Dual-Symmetric at all. "GOOGLE (seek) and you will find" .

But hey any increase in performance be it 2% is always welcome if you really need a larger RAM (I alot 1.5-2 GB ram for Virtual PCs on my machine and the rest for my laptop).  =)

Replies(3)
Options

2342 Posts

03-12-2008

Moscow, Russia

2032 Signins

25108 Page Views

• Views: 25108
  • Message 2 of 4

2008-05-12, 7:09 AM
Memory kit is more a way of advertisement and marketing thing.
In theory, any kind, even different frequency/brand modules must work together in dual channel. The fact is that there're some problems sometimes with that.
So just try. It showld work.
//help will save the world
Answer
Options

12 Posts

05-05-2008

Singapore

25 Signins

506 Page Views

• Views: 506
  • Message 3 of 4

2008-05-13, 4:29 AM
You don't really have to purchase kits. But it would be nice if you can actually "visually" compare the RAMs.

Having the same brand, same chip manufacturer (name printed ion the ICs of the RAM, e.g. nanya, elpida, etc.). CAS Latency timings  (DR2 667 2GB are usualy CL5) and same size; should give you Dual-Symmetric on the rams on your y310. Usually buying both rams from the same place gives you the same values for the list stated.

I have a Y410 running on 2x2GB rams (I only see 3GB though due to XP). But they are running Dual-Symmetric. Download tools such as CPUZ.exe can validate Dual Channel settings.

But don't expect a big jump in performance. I read an article that you should feel a modest 8% increase on ram performance compared to not having it in Dual-Symmetric at all. "GOOGLE (seek) and you will find" .

But hey any increase in performance be it 2% is always welcome if you really need a larger RAM (I alot 1.5-2 GB ram for Virtual PCs on my machine and the rest for my laptop).  =)

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

05-10-2008

South East Asia

9 Signins

103 Page Views

• Views: 103
  • Message 4 of 4

2008-05-13, 7:27 AM
I should be able to see if the RAM I purchase comes from the same box/batch. Probably get Corsair Value Select(5-5-5-15-2T) or Crucial if I can find it. Corsair list notebook kits on their website but not available where I live. Not expecting a huge increase in performance but I might as well get 2x2GB and run dual channel even though I don't really need it for Win XP as it will save me having to replace it when/if I update to Vista if I were to only buy 1x1GB now.

Thanks for both your replies.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms