india

21 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 1 of 8

Extending C drive partition on Z500 IdeaPad

2014-09-29, 22:20 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a Lenovo Z500 IdeaPad series laptop which came with a 60GB storage/parition for C drive.

I'm running out of space and was trying to extend the partition using Paritioning tools but I don't get the option to extend the C drive after creating an unallocated partition (let's say 10-15 GB). So I'm trying to make my C drive partition to be somewhere around 70-75 GB after the extension of the C drive.

One thing I noticed that I have a 300 MB (approx.) partition right after the C drive. It doesn't look like an OKR partition but something else as I already have a 25 GB of OKR partition.

I'm suspecting that this 300MB of partition is coming in my way of extending the C drive partition but I'm just guessing. I could be wrong as well.

So, I'm currently stuck here and can't seem to find a way of extending by C drive partition without messing up the OKR setup.

Also, I would really appreciate if someone could tell me how to make a backup of factory default image of the OS, so that I can run it in case my system fails to boot at somepoint in time.

When I open the OKR app, it gives me two options: System backup & Restore.

I'm also confused here if system backup would do the backup of the complete OS (with all the apps installed at this point)? If that's the case, then how can I restore from this image in case of a boot failure?

Overall, these are my questions:

#How to extend the C drive without affecting the OKR setup/partition?

#How to restore the system backup image (backed up using 'System Backup' option in OKR app) when the system fails to boot? Do I need to write it to a disk or saving it on another partition would also work?

#Is there a way to image the factory default image so I can use it to install the OS afresh, in case I run into any issues with the OS in future?

If needed, I can share the screenshot of the parition table to give you an exact idea how my Disk is partitioned.

I would really appreciate any response on this.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,

Nick

Solved! See the solution
Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

US

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Views: 19373
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Extending C drive partition on Z500 IdeaPad

2014-09-29, 23:57 PM

For restoration purposes check this out: A DIY Project: Creating a bootable OKR 8 Recovery USB Flash Drive (Rev 1.1).

Once you are sure that you can always go back to the pre-installed OS with OKR working then you can start your research on extending/resizing the partitions.

Options

10 Posts

07-15-2013

india

21 Signins

72 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2014-09-30, 0:31 AM

Thanks a lot!

So, following the procedure you mentioned on Page 7 of the post, I should be able to restore to Factory Default Image from the USB Flash drive and not 25GB partition which was already created for this purpose. Is my understanding correct?

In case the OKR on the Laptop breaks due to re-parititioning of C drive, I still have the USB Flash for that purpose?

Making this flash as recovery disk, if for some reason my OS gets corrupted and I'm unable to boot and my OKR has also messed up, I would still be able to load/install the factory OS image on my laptop?

Please let me know your thoughts and if my understanding is correct about the procedure mentioned in your post here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Backing-up-Z500-Touch-Hdd/td-p/1118253/page/7

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

US

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2014-09-30, 1:56 AM

"So, following the procedure you mentioned on Page 7 of the post, I should be able to restore to Factory Default Image from the USB Flash drive and not 25GB partition which was already created for this purpose. Is my understanding correct?"

Comment: The OKR pendrive will erase everything in your hdd and recreate the partitions including the OS. So it will be like you just received your unit from Lenovo. So be sure to make a backup of your personal files.

"In case the OKR on the Laptop breaks due to re-parititioning of C drive, I still have the USB Flash for that purpose?

Making this flash as recovery disk, if for some reason my OS gets corrupted and I'm unable to boot and my OKR has also messed up, I would still be able to load/install the factory OS image on my laptop?"

Comment: You can restore to factory condition (actually you can now decide what size of the C drive you want) in case you mess up the partitions.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

10 Posts

07-15-2013

india

21 Signins

72 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2014-09-30, 2:04 AM

I very much appreciate your quick response!

Things are much clearer now however my concern now is if I want to extend my C drive Partition without affecting the current Windows setup (i.e. not going to the factory default) and have my apps stay on the drive, will I be able to do it without breaking OKR?

So I don't want to start from the factory image (scratch) in order to avoid installing applications again on my laptop and just want to extend the C drive. Is it possible?

If yes, then what will be the best way to achieve it?

Options

10 Posts

07-15-2013

india

21 Signins

72 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2014-09-30, 3:31 AM

At this point, my main concern is extending the C drive partition without affecting the OKR and the current state of my OS (i.e. settings and applications installed).

I hope there is a way to do that else it would be cumbersome to start from the factory default image and install the applications again unless I'm missing something.

I hope to hear from you soon.

@LenBlazer: You've been truly very helpful.

Options

10 Posts

07-15-2013

india

21 Signins

72 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2014-09-30, 21:54 PM

@LenBlazer: Any thoughts?

Options

5402 Posts

05-09-2013

US

6273 Signins

19373 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2014-09-30, 22:42 PM

Having a means to go back in case something goes wrong with what you are trying to do, the next thing is to experiment with the resizing.

The following link provides some info on how to go about it. I can't confirm though if the procedures work or not. But the authors claimed they do.

1. new disk partioning and one key recover feature

2. Disk Partitioning Stock Y510P Setup - Easy Way

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete