Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

06-27-2010

USA

12 Signins

279 Page Views

• Views: 279
  • Message 1 of 5

Extract Windows Vista 64bit installation image from Onekey Recovery!

2010-06-27, 17:09 PM

Hello,

I bought Lenovo IBM Y650 laptop a month ago, and it didn't come with an installation disc...Rather, Windows Vista 64bit along with all necessary drivers was already pre-installed. One feature that really got my attention was the Onekey recovery. It containts a full factory system backup.

So, my question would be: Is there a way to extract the Windows Vista installation image from this feature, because I would like to burn it to a DVD drive and make a full clean install with my choice of disk partitioning.

Thanks in advance,

D.S.

Options

18 Posts

07-08-2010

South Africa

8 Signins

167 Page Views

• Views: 167
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Extract Windows Vista 64bit installation image from Onekey Recovery!

2010-07-12, 11:06 AM

Nope, they use their own type of ghosting software (as far as I know, please correct if wrong). Luckily I got a Vista disk with my Y710. I removed the recovery partition 5 min after I bought my notebook. I really hate it when manufacturers decide how my partitioning should look.

Sorry man, you will either have to buy it (which I know is not the answer you were looking for), download it (which I formally have to say is illegal and I cannot legally advise this *knudge knudge wink wink*), or just do what I do, use Linux.

Options

73 Posts

06-14-2010

Northern Virginia

81 Signins

1089 Page Views

• Views: 1089
  • Message 3 of 5

2010-07-12, 19:40 PM

Downloading it isn't illegal, installing it without a key is.  You can download Windows 7 HP x64 directly from Microsoft at http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso

Then download this program, also from Microsoft, http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe, which will turn the .iso into a bootable USB drive or DVD.  This is how I got a clean install on mine, and perfectly legal as long as you have a valid product key.

The only thing is that you can't activate your OEM key over the internet, when you try to activate Windows, it will give you a phone number to call.  Call them up and they'll give you an activation code, then everything will work just fine.

Options

12 Posts

06-27-2010

USA

12 Signins

279 Page Views

• Views: 279
  • Message 4 of 5

2010-07-14, 20:33 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. And 'Yes!', downloading a bootable installation system iso is not an illegal thing. However, using a serial keys, activation patch or a crack is.

Anyway, I did download a Vista 64 installation disc iso and burned it onto a DVD disc in case I have to clean-install my Vista some day. I do have a legal Vista 64 with an OEM key on the back. And, if I decide to to a clean install, I guess I have to call 'phone support' for activation because as far as I know OEM-registered PC can not be activated during install.

But, thanks for your replies guys...Hey, it rhymes! :smileyvery-happy:

Options

1043 Posts

07-14-2010

Canada

3946 Signins

17523 Page Views

• Views: 17523
  • Message 5 of 5

2010-07-14, 21:03 PM

Although you summed this up,

I do believe you can order recovery disks from Lenovo. Most other manufacturers do it. It may be upwards of $40, but if you need an image with all the preloaded software ~shudders~, you can usually get one for your laptop make.

As well, do they not include a recovery CD maker anymore?

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms