08-01-2013

United States

13 Signins

132 Page Views

• Views: 132
  • Message 1 of 2

Fresh Installing Windows 8 Pro on Lenovo Y510p [SLI]

2013-08-13, 13:22 PM

I recently bought a Lenovo Y510p [SLI] and love it (Besides having to update the track pad driver and the crap Centrino card driver). Through my school we can get a free copy of the retail version of Windows 8 Pro, so I went and purchased a copy. It comes on an official disk and comes with a product key. I'm considering doing a fresh install on my computer. First I want to know if I can do this install using an external USB optical drive. What are the Pro/Cons of doing so. I realize I jeopardize breaking the recovery feature and losing some important drivers, but are these all things I can get back? If I do this installation, I'd go into the system and combine all the drives together as well (except for maybe the OneKey partition). How would I go about setting up the SSD cache service that allows for best performance?

Basically if anyone has done this, tell me what you know so I can decide if I want to go ahead with this. The main reason I want Pro is to be able to run the Windows Phone 8 (great devices by the way) Emulator and I also like having the Pro edition. Thanks for your help guys!

Lenovo Y510p (59370007) [August 2013] | Windows 8.1 | Dual NVIDIA GT 750M 2GB SLI | Intel i7-4700 MQ 2.4GHz | 1 TB Seagate 5400RPM HDD + 24GB Liteonit SSD S.M.A.R.T. Cache | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | Intel Centrino N-2230 Wireless + Bluetooth 4.0 | Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 Gigabit Ethernet | Lenovo 20217 (U3E1) Motherboard
Options

4 Posts

11-14-2013

United States of America

3 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Fresh Installing Windows 8 Pro on Lenovo Y510p [SLI]

2013-11-14, 14:11 PM

Yes,An External Optical Drive Would Do the Job. Alternatively You Could Make A Bootable USB Drive With The Disk image. Follow This Link: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/install-windows-8-usb.htm

All The Drivers For Lenovo Y510p Are Available forDownload: 

http://support.lenovo.com/en_IN/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS035829

Setting Up SSD Drive As cache:

The Easiest Way to Set Up The SSD Drive As Cache in Lenovo Y510p is by using Windows Ready Boost.

How To Set up:
1. Right Click On The SSD Drive Partition And Take Properties.
2. Select Ready Boost
3. Select The Option "Use This Device" and allocate the entire SSD drive space to Ready Boost.

readyboost.PNG

Using An SSD Drive As Cache Is Really efficient and Really Reduces the startup Time :)
However Use this Method When The size of the SSD Drive Is Less Than 30 GB.
Otherwise Install The OS directly on the SSD Drive.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms