Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

10-23-2009

United States of America

6 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 2

IdeaPad Y510 - Unsupported Wireless Card Detected error

2009-10-23, 0:29 AM

I have IdeaPad Y510 with inbuilt Intel Pro/ Wireless 3945ABG Network card. I bought a new Intel - 512AN_MMW - Wifi link 5100 card. I installed this card by removing the old card. When I tried restarting my device, It showed" UNSUPPORTED WIRELESS NETWORK CARD DETECTED" System Halted...

Please advice me as how to install this new card and make my system running.

Options

46 Posts

03-21-2008

United States of America

214 Signins

1503 Page Views

• Views: 1503
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: IdeaPad Y510 - Unsupported Wireless Card Detected error

2009-10-23, 17:41 PM

Been there.  Done that.  Your card won't work in the Lenovo.

Lenovo in their infinite wisdom and big brotherish way has set the Y510 Ideapad firmware to only accept "Lenovo sourced" WiFi cards.  I had the displeasure of purchasing such a WiFi (Draft N) card a couple years ago for mine and ended up selling it cheap and purchasing another card (from eBay actually) that was branded as a Lenovo card.  The second card worked quite satisfactorily.

There were many forum posts related to this compatibility issue way back then.  I didn't keep up after I solved the problem the costly way - so I don't know if anyone every figured a way around the required "blessing of the card" that Lenovo firmware seems intent on doing.

In all fairness I suspect Lenovo did this to head off support issues related to future card upgrade attempts that might or might not be compatible with the Y510.  But, IMO, they could have done it in a less offensive way.

Good luck.  Go read hundreds of posts and report back if someone ever solved this riddle.

:smileyindifferent:

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms