Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

04-17-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

11 Signins

65 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 65
  • Message 1 of 4

Ideapad 330 -rebuild

2021-03-03, 21:49 PM

This machine is a complete bag of wotsit. About 18mths old and now the HD has given up. 

So I have bought a new HD......but how do I restore windows?

I've tried installing my own win7 (instead of win 10), but it very rarely sees the usb dvd drive.  I have formatted the new drive and even tried slapping an ISO image direct on....but no joy.

I hate this machine but it cost over £400 so want to get some use out of it, other than as a book end.

Any help appreciated.

Options

4383 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4579 Signins

52362 Page Views

• Views: 52362
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Ideapad 330 -rebuild

2021-03-03, 22:22 PM

I feel your pain, I have had HDDs fail in a matter of months, and others that seem to last forever.    

The easiest way to reinstall Windows 10 would be to use Microsoft's Media Creation tool to create a bootable USB, and then use it to reinstall Windows 10, because I doubt there are Windows 7 drivers available for your laptop, and it is not longer a supported OS from Microsoft.     If you connect via WiFi, you may want to download the Wireless LAN driver for your laptop using another system before installing, but usually the installer will be able to find the driver.   

If you prefer to create a local login (Username and password) instead of using a Microsoft Account email address as your login, skip past the part durign setup where it asks for your WiFi password, or it will try to force you to create a login or create a Microsoft Account.   If you forget, just unplug your WiFi router for a moment and it will let you create the local account.

If you have made any changes to the BIOS during your previous installations attempts, I would reset it to Setup Defaults before proceeding too.   

Download Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

These instructions below will help you do a fresh installation of Windows 10, but take note of the section regarding skipping entering a license/Product Key, because the key is embedded in the BIOS of your laptop, so Windows 10 will find it and activate automatically once installed.    Also note the section about deleting all existing partitions until the only thing left on the new HDD is "Unallocated Space".   

How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10  

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-or-reinstall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

Best of luck,

Cheers, 

Options

7 Posts

04-17-2019

11 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2021-03-04, 7:44 AM

Much appreciated,  I'll give it a bash and let you know.

Options

7 Posts

04-17-2019

11 Signins

65 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2021-04-13, 18:39 PM

Ok, so i got win 10 back on, but laptop still slow as something that wears a T shirt saying I'm really really slow.

Is there any way I can get win 7 on instead?

I've tried an ISO image again but keeps coming back saying it can't find the correct driver for cd/DVD player.  AND it doesn't even have one!

COME ON Lenovo support, surely i shoukd be able to use win 7 instead of 10????

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms