Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

01-13-2011

New York, NY

9 Signins

276 Page Views

• Views: 276
  • Message 21 of 23

Re: Info on Rapiddrive functionality? Y560

2011-07-21, 20:15 PM

Shiva, I don't know how you came to that conclusion.  The rapiddrivetool is only used for reinstallating windows as per Lenovo's instructions.  It will not allow you to permanently separate the SSD and HDD.  Once the rapiddrive drive is installed it can't be removed.  In order to separate SSD and HDD permanently, you have to reinstall Windows 7 and not install Rapiddrive. 

SSDs by themselves should not be defragmented.  With rapiddrive SSD+HDD, there is no guidance from Lenovo about defragmentation.  Since rapiddrive treats the whole thing as a single physical disk (Disk 0 in Disk Management), it's **bleep** if you do, **bleep** if you don't.  Hypothetically, all frequently used files will be moved onto the SSD, so you shouldn't defragment.  I personally did a quick defrag (without optimize) once a week <shrugs> primarily to defrag any data on the HDD.

Options

20 Posts

07-17-2011

Austin, TX

37 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 22 of 23

2011-07-22, 18:10 PM

Oh, I was under the impression that after you use the Tool the first time, you had a system that was bootable from the HDD.

Options

1 Posts

04-18-2012

USA

4 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 23 of 23

2012-04-18, 3:59 AM

Just so people aren't put off upgrading their Hard drive to rapid drive (1) Get your Msata drive (I used a 64 gig Kingston). (2) Download the Rapid drive software for your machine (make sure your machine supports it).  (3) Build the restore disks from your hard drive because it will be deleted. (4) Remove your HDD and put your MSATA SSD in the laptop.  (5) Use the disks you created to load the Lenovo OS. (6) using the partition software of your choice delete any hidden partitions after you primary partition, so you should have one 200 meg partition and large data partition with 15 gig at the end not used.  (7) Use the partitioning software (I use EASEUS not the best but cheap) to make the primary partition fill the MSATA SSD. (8)  Shutdown and put your hard drive in.  (9) Reboot and use the rapiddrive software to install Rapid drive. (10) examine primary HDD it should be the size of your SSD plus the HDD minus 200 Meg.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)