Options

10 Posts

08-03-2014

california

20 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 1 of 5

Installed new hard drive but Windows 7 disc won't boot up. Bios boot menu opens.

2014-09-05, 18:30 PM

A hard drive failed on my 2 yr old Lenovo z585. I bought a new Seagate 1tb sshd and installed it. From another computer I used image burn to make a bootable windows 7 install disc. I assume it works properly, but I don't know. I restarted a different computer with the disc in the tray...and for moment a black screen came up that said 'to install from disc drive press any key'....so i assumed that meant it burnt correctly.

Anyway...I have that disc in the computer with the new hard drive, but when i turn the computer on, it never says anything about installing windows. The dvd light flickers and i hear it spin for a while then a Bios type of page shows up and says:

Boot menu / app menu

1. ata hddo ...etc

2. pci lan ...etc

3. atapi cd tsst corp cddvdw

i've entered the #3 on the list..it just brings up another page for a moment and returns to the boot menu page.

i've also gone to the bios boot order section...it had something like 'usb hdd' at the top of the boot order for some reason ? So, I tried putting USB CD and ATAPI CD at the top & restarting each time...neither of them made any difference in getting the install disc to begin. It just seems like it's doing something for a little while...then back to that boot menu screen. 

Also, it says UEFI is enabled ... i have no idea if it is supposed to be or not,

Can anyone help me with this...i'm ripping my hair out over here...it's bad enough that my not even 2 yr old drive failed to begin with, this computer has never even left my desk.

*windows 7 home premium 64, downloaded from an official source that microsoft recommends.

Options

10 Posts

08-03-2014

california

20 Signins

151 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re: Installed new hard drive but Windows 7 disc won't boot up. Bios boot menu opens.

2014-09-05, 20:10 PM

I just noticed the information section in bios says "ODD not installed". could that be the problem ?

my dvd was working fine before my original hard drive failed. i was extremely gentle when removing and replacing.

the tray still opens and lights up and spins

Options

6093 Posts

02-11-2012

PH

4456 Signins

274702 Page Views

• Views: 274702
  • Message 3 of 5

Re: Installed new hard drive but Windows 7 disc won't boot up. Bios boot menu opens.

2014-09-05, 21:01 PM

hi shakas,

You might be right about the ODD being the problem as it should usually indicate the model in the BIOS (main tab) and in the boot priority (boot tab).

Sample image

In addition, if you have enabled UEFI in the BIOS, the bootable Windows 7 installation disc must also be a UEFI installer in order to work. Otherwise, it will not be detected by the boot manager.

Things that you can try:

Step 1: Disable UEFI in the BIOS then press F10 to save and exit. On the lenovo screen, press F12 and DVD drive.

If you still get the same problem, go to Step 2

Step 2. Disable UEFI in the BIOS and follow this guide on how to create a bootable Windows 7 USB installer.

After creating the Windows 7 USB installer, insert it on the Z585, turn on the machine and continuously tap F12 then choose the USB flashdrive on the boot order. If done correctly, you should see a Windows loading files at the bottom followed by the Windows 7 setup screen.

Link to picture

Link toi picture

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

10 Posts

08-03-2014

california

20 Signins

151 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2014-09-05, 21:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. My ODD definitely says "not installed" ...it doesn't show any model numbers like in the image you posted. My boot order has no choices for dvd ... the closest things where atapi cd and usb cd. I do see my newly installed hard drive in there.

So should i focus 1st on getting my ODD to show up ? And how do I do that ?

Or should I jump straight to disabling UEFI ? 

EDIT: I disabled UEFI and went back into bios information...now the ODD does show up with its model # stuff.

However, windows still doesn't begin installing when I restart. 

another EDIT: I restarted again, now bios says UEFI is still disabled but ODD says not installed again.

and another EDIT: I went back in and RE-enabled UEFI, like it was originally and now ODD shows up again. Even though it didn't show up with UEFI enabled before. 

Still no luck though...even when ODD drive is visible and at the top of the boot list...the computer goes dark...no install.

There is this screen it flips to, it doesn't stay up long enough for me to read. But I think it mentions some problem with "REALTEK PXE" then goes straight back to the boot menu.  I catch the words "media test failure...check cable...exiting pxe rom"

Options

6093 Posts

02-11-2012

PH

4456 Signins

274702 Page Views

• Views: 274702
  • Message 5 of 5

2014-09-08, 16:24 PM

hi shakas,

It's possible that the DVD drive may have a faulty connection inside or may have bad lens.

I recommend you consider creating a bootable WIndows 7 USB flashdrive (see Step 2 above) and observe.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete