Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

46 Posts

12-27-2012

UAE

76 Signins

336 Page Views

• Views: 336
  • Message 91 of 146

Re: LENOVO Y500 BATTERY NOT CHARGING AFTER USING LENOVO'S BATTERY GAUGE CALIBRATION

2014-02-21, 20:49 PM
ok no problem, just let us know when if it works when you replace the IC ship, I was looking at it after I read your reply and thought about ordering one but I think you will need to soldered in, I hope it works, please keep us updated you will help alot of us here who have their machines out of warranty :)
Options

1 Posts

02-27-2014

Canada

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 92 of 146

Re: Y500: a serious motherboard problem has been proved as a design defect. (Not only Y500)

2014-02-28, 0:31 AM

Was glad I stumbled across this forum thread. My son's "just past warranty" Y500 died last week (wouldn't power on), and a computer savvy friend of his was "almost positive" that it was the DC jack on the motherboard. He was going to get a local Lenovo service centre to replace the jack, but I found this thread first and was able to use the temporary procedure (unplug battery & adapter, hold the power button, reconnect the adapter without the battery & power on, then install the battery) to bring it back to life and get it to start charging the battery. So now we know why the laptop died (plugged in but battery not charging).

And here's the bad news for other post-warranty Y500 owners. I asked him if he'd run the battery gauge reset software (as most here did and had the issue thereafter), but he was quite adamant that he did NOT run it. He did, however, say that he had recently used the Lenovo energy management app to switch from the battery life mode (100%) to the battery health mode (60%) because he mostly uses it plugged in. So a word of warning - DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT RUNNING THE LENOVO ENERGY MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE!!

I see that the Admins (Mark_Lenovo and Cleo_Lenovo) haven't chimed in on this thread since back in May of last year, when they were "investigating the symptoms", so I assume Lenovo has decided to just fix (new motherboard) any machines still under warranty, but let the rest of us just hang out to dry. Anybody else here of a different permanent fix for this issue other than replacing the motherboard? My son is NOT going to go to that expense, so for now he'll just have to live with performing this odd recovery process whenever he unplugs the AC adapter (or we have a power failure, or ...).

I will never buy another Lenovo product if this is how they treat their customers. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Options

46 Posts

12-27-2012

UAE

76 Signins

336 Page Views

• Message 93 of 146

Re: Y500: a serious motherboard problem has been proved as a design defect. (Not only Y500)

2014-02-28, 0:42 AM

scott29919

I really feel your pain and frustration, I love this laptop but I hate how careless lenovo is, I called them many times demanding to extend my warrenty but they refused, I wouldn`t mind paying for another year of warrenty, now I am here sitting with a machine that operates as a desktop( removed the battery completey) I`ve already paid 300+$ for a motherboard replacement a while back and I am not paying another penny for another motherboard, the last time it was my fault this time its on them.

Options

46 Posts

12-27-2012

UAE

76 Signins

336 Page Views

• Message 94 of 146

2014-02-28, 0:44 AM

o and they won`t reply since we`re out of warrenty, we virtually do not exist since the warrenty date expired.

Options

3 Posts

03-09-2014

Canada

20 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 95 of 146

Re: LENOVO Y500 BATTERY NOT CHARGING AFTER USING LENOVO'S BATTERY GAUGE CALIBRATION

2014-03-09, 9:55 AM

rotproof, any update on if that worked? Price? Where to get it? How to connect it? If it works I'll do my best to pay you.

I just did this to my y500 yesterday. Had it for a year and figured I should run the calibration, but didn't expect it to sabotage the thing. Unfortunate since I really did like this laptop, but probably the last lenovo device I get as a result.

The battery charge process works for me, but I expect it to become a huge hassle.

It seems like replacing the motherboard works too. Anyone know how much it would cost and where to get one?

Options

3 Posts

03-09-2014

Canada

20 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 96 of 146

2014-03-16, 8:44 AM

I found another workaround. May have missed it if posted before, or maybe my case is unique.

1) Perform the battery charge procedure (shut down, remove charger and battery from laptop, unplug charger, reconnect charger to laptop, plug in charger, turn on, attach battery)
2) Put laptop to sleep
3) Disconnect charger
4) Reconnect charger
5) Turn on laptop.

Battery will charge as long as you sleep before removing charger.

EDIT: Just tried this twice more. Worked once, then failed. Not sure why, since it had worked a few times prior as well.

Options

46 Posts

12-27-2012

UAE

76 Signins

336 Page Views

• Message 97 of 146

2014-03-16, 11:15 AM

stagger this was a brillian idea, it partially works, I just tried it and yes the battery will charge and the ac will go through the laptop only if you put the computer to sleep and did not wake it up to actually use it on battery, so when I put the computer to sleep - removed the charger and woke up the pc, used the computer for a while on battery - put it to sleep again - connected the charger, the battery did not charge, but if you only connect the charger and disconnected while its on sleep the battery will continue to charge. never the less at least now I can transport my pc from place to place without having to removing the battery everytime I disconnect the charger.

so good jop :), I think is original issue lies with the chip that actually does the power switching from battery to ac and vice versa.

Options

3 Posts

03-09-2014

Canada

20 Signins

85 Page Views

• Message 98 of 146

2014-03-16, 23:54 PM

Awesome, good to hear it works for someone else.

I haven't been able to test it extensively, but it appears that it only works when the battery is NOT charging when you put it to sleep.

As long as you are fully charged you should be able to sleep, unplug and move the laptop, then plug it back in before turning it on to have it continue accepting the charger.

You will know if it is working by the battery indicator lighting up when you plug in the AC (next to the flashing power indicator). If it doesn't, then you will need to do the shutdown procedure.

Again, strange that I haven't seen it mentioned before, since it's not a particularly complex procedure. Perhaps it only works for some.

Anyway, I hope this helps everyone else! Makes the hassle much easier to deal with.

Options

1 Posts

03-20-2014

Malaysia

9 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 99 of 146

2014-03-20, 4:10 AM

My Y410P having same issue after batter reset:smileymad:

Seen like Lenovo is not planning to solve even from previous model till now..

Now the lappy is undergo warranty and SC said need replace motherboard in order to fix..

Lets see does it really can solve....

**update**

Call SC said after replace motherboard the problem stil exist.

Now they ordering new battery to replace

WTH lenovo doing, a repeated problem still need try and error to fix?

Options

10 Posts

10-24-2013

Finland

20 Signins

113 Page Views

• Views: 113
  • Message 100 of 146

2014-03-24, 11:55 AM

Stagger: It works like a charm!!good find!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms