Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

04-27-2015

Croatia

36 Signins

157 Page Views

• Views: 157
  • Message 1 of 29

Lenovo AccuType keyboard problems (Z50-75 and others with AccuType)

2015-09-12, 12:18 PM

There seem to be a major problem with Lenovo's AccuType keyboards that no one is talking about. I may be in minority of people that will be bothered with this but still want to share and see what are experiences of other users.

Basically what happens is that characters are not recognized if not pressed directly in the middle of the key.

For example if you press the key on the bottom/left quarter it will not register most of the time.

This gets very noticeable if you type fast not looking at the keyboard.

This is Z50-75 (I have 2) and it had this problem since day one. I had the keyboard replaced just before I shot this video as I was certain there was some kind of defect on my keyboard alone. Yet nothing changed with a new keyboard.

It seems however that this is considered normal and nobody else is complaining about it.

Therefore all AccuType keyboards should have the same problem - or almost every Lenovo laptop since 2013.

Nowadays those are: G series, G40, G50, G50-45, G510, G70, M series, M30, B series, B40-45, B50, B50-45, B70, S series, S20, Flex 2 series, Y series, Y40, Y50, Y70 Touch, E series, E50, E31, Z series, Z50, Z70-80, U series, U31, U41

Please share your experiences below.

I've also made a video so it is easier to see what I'm talking about here. You can watch it here.

Options

14 Posts

09-12-2015

Denmark

39 Signins

377 Page Views

• Views: 377
  • Message 2 of 29

Re: Lenovo AccuType keyboard problems (Z50-75 and others with AccuType)

2015-09-13, 19:14 PM

Didn't found my own Z710 AccuType keyboard near as bad as yours. But I sometimes could get key presses unrecognized, if hitting upper quarter areas on mine, so it was possible to replicate a bit, what you are experiencing.

While not an too big issue in my case, my AccuType in other hand from factory suffered a lot flexing, which is almost just as annoying.

I think when electronics nowadays goes lighter and thinner than ever, manufacturers and not only lenovo have to compromise best mechanical solutions, in order to accomplish slimmer design. It is an unfortunate tendency seen in development everywhere. I too don't see easy way to fix this particular issue, when new keyboard doesn't seem to help. I feel your pain.

Options

12 Posts

04-27-2015

Croatia

36 Signins

157 Page Views

• Message 3 of 29

2015-09-14, 8:54 AM

Hey, thanks a lot for commenting - I would really love to see more responses from the community as this could be a big deal.

I'm not sure if it could be connected with keyboard localization although I'd assume they are all produced at the same factory. Mine was bought in Croatia.

Here is the reply I got from one guy on Reddit:

"I think the problem is in your device. I just checked every key on my accutype keyboard (G510) It registered even the smallest pressure at every square mm."

I also saw a flexing issue but it didn't bother me so much since I got used to it - on this, however, I cannot get used to :/

Options

1 Posts

12-06-2015

Nafarroa

4 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 4 of 29

2015-12-06, 22:35 PM

I have the same problem in my new B50-80. Maddening!

Options

1 Posts

12-07-2015

California

1 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 5 of 29

2015-12-07, 7:47 AM

I have had the exact same problem since I bought it in January or February '14.  I thought I'd live with it, but over time, it's extremely annoying having written a whose sentence only to realize that only few letters were actually shown on the screen. Lately, I upgraded the RAM from 8GB to 12GB thinking it might be a memory issue. No difference. It's almost a useless laptop. If Lenovo told you that's normal, what our choice? Never buy a Lenovo again? I don't want to waste time if that's their reply. Did they suggest any solution at least, like rutning off the feature called Accutype? Everything else on the laptop is fine, except it's not usable. I wasted $500. I will contact them once. If they give me the same reply, no time for a lawsuit. I'll just actually throw it away and never buy another LENOVO. Terrible bind.

Options

5 Posts

12-07-2015

United States

5 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 6 of 29

2015-12-07, 18:15 PM

This is my first time with Lenovo I needed a computer that can work with my printer and I was having consistant problems with the cloud printer server and my Chrome, so I bought a Lenovo to hard wire to the printer and perhaps fill the gap. I was focused more on ram than the keyboard. Now that I have the laptop, a Z50-70. I find that it has a totally foreign keyboard a accutype that I cannot work with  and there is no manual for the keyboard.

No matter what I try I cannot access the symbols. @ which is on the q key will not print, I have tried every key combination I can think of but I still get a q.

Of course I am using my Chrome to write this because I can't even get past configuration without an e-mail address. As you know that involves a @.

Options

12 Posts

04-27-2015

Croatia

36 Signins

157 Page Views

• Message 7 of 29

2015-12-07, 19:25 PM

Yep, I got an official signed letter from them since I kept insisting this is a problem. The reason why I tought this is obvious I guess.. Why would anyone let product like this out is beyond me and how no one at the time seemed to be bothered with it was even more confusing!

I was convinced this was a one time event since that is the keyboard Lenovo puts in most of their models so someone would notice and say something. I can only assume not lot of users choose this brand in the first place. I know I never will.

Options

5 Posts

12-07-2015

United States

5 Signins

24 Page Views

• Message 8 of 29

2015-12-08, 0:01 AM
I returned to the store where I bought it today and the sales guy basically said " oh yes that's the way they are , all you have to do is avoid the key with the @ and just do alt 6 4 or alt 2. I did alt 6 4 and like magic after a brief hesitation there was the missing @. How weird is that?, and why do that ? I asked if there was a book or manual for this keyboard and he said no, just the box.
Options

9 Posts

12-09-2015

United Kingdom

13 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 9 of 29

2015-12-23, 12:21 PM

I just got the new B50-80 Win10 model, and having the same issue - possibly worse.

The left side of the KB flexes an awful lot, and the keys have to be struck dead-centre and rather hard to respond. It often misses keystrokes and frankly is a total joke. 

I previously had a G500s and that was a wonderful bit of kit - the B50 is a total fail. Just writing this message it's missed about 5 strokes - it's driving me mad and it doesn't look like I can return it now. I'm totally distraught as this has made my job a living hell.

Options

5 Posts

12-07-2015

United States

5 Signins

24 Page Views

• Message 10 of 29

2015-12-23, 15:13 PM

Yes it sounds like your keyboard is worse, I'm limping along with mine. As long as I don't need the @ key then it's okay. When I do use it it's very arbitrary, sometimes alt 64 works and other times it's alt 2 , occassionaly I get odd symbols that I don't see on the keyboard. Fortunately It is not my main computer,.99% of the things I need are done with my main computer, a Chrome which I just love. If it were not for a print problem and an older camera that won't adapt to the Chrome I would not have bought the Lenovo. Its Backup.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)