Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

01-28-2015

Philippines

7 Signins

97 Page Views

• Views: 97
  • Message 1 of 9

Lenovo IdeaPad Y500

2015-01-28, 16:58 PM

Hi! I'm new here in forum and I have concern about my laptop.

Here's the story.

I experienced the "loop boot" thing, so I tried to fix it using Recover Media, then I restore my system it works. A day passed by, when I boot my laptop I got an blue screen error (with numbers) it says that there is missing file. So I try to use Recover Media again, hoping that I can fix it but no.

I contacted my technician friend (that is the first time she encounter that kind of problem but she knows about the "loob boot" thing), she told me it needs to be reformat/reset, then I told her to recover my data first. When she recovering it, she realize that the partition system is GPT and she told me that she can't access because it's GPT (at first I don't know what she's saying to me), she explained to me that my hdd is protected and it can't access manually without any software or thing (miracle or something that can give as permission). So we search for answer, we try to use a software that can clone/copy GPT partition hdds, so it works. Recovering of my data is done.

And the last problem we encounter, she told me that we have 2 options, 1. is to convert my hdd to MBR (I think, that should be the opposite of GPT) and 2. to have a Win8 installer for GPT, so she can reformat my laptop. I told her that could she try to use Recover Media and use the "Reset my PC" option but she said it won't work because my OS is corrupted, the only way to fix it is to reformat. So I say ok what should we do, she told me again the 2 options I got.

Sorry for the long story.

So here are my questions,

Can we fix it using Recover Media via USB when my OS is corrupted?

If we use a standard Win8 installer, could I get a default factory settings/system of my laptop?

Should I change the partition system?

I don't know how to use OneKey Recovery when I bought my laptop, so do I really need it?

Thanks in advance!

Answer
Options

3565 Posts

04-02-2014

Mexico

2532 Signins

40084 Page Views

• Views: 40084

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500

2015-01-28, 17:17 PM

Corruption of ONLY the Windows OS DOES NOT corrupt the recovery mechanism.

If your recovery partition is corrupted then recovery will fail.

I do not recommend coverting GPT to MBR, GPT is the new format and helps maintain efficiency and is recommended for all new systems.

You can use a Win 8.1 installer (I think that is what is available from Microsoft now) and make a bootable USB/DVD from it and install Windows. If its the same version as currently on your system, the windows should get activated automatically.

Do you have a NOVO button on the laptop? (a small button which has a rounded arrow on it)

This button can be pressed to recover your laptop to factory settings and can remove corrupted windows.

(It is the same as using a recovery disk/USB)

Could also be the case that your HDD is failing, resulting in corrupted files. You can run the Storage and Memory tests from here (Make sure you download right versions 32/64 bit) -

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovodiagnosticsolutions/downloads

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.

Replies(8)
Answer
Options

3565 Posts

04-02-2014

Mexico

2532 Signins

40084 Page Views

• Message 2 of 9

2015-01-28, 17:17 PM

Corruption of ONLY the Windows OS DOES NOT corrupt the recovery mechanism.

If your recovery partition is corrupted then recovery will fail.

I do not recommend coverting GPT to MBR, GPT is the new format and helps maintain efficiency and is recommended for all new systems.

You can use a Win 8.1 installer (I think that is what is available from Microsoft now) and make a bootable USB/DVD from it and install Windows. If its the same version as currently on your system, the windows should get activated automatically.

Do you have a NOVO button on the laptop? (a small button which has a rounded arrow on it)

This button can be pressed to recover your laptop to factory settings and can remove corrupted windows.

(It is the same as using a recovery disk/USB)

Could also be the case that your HDD is failing, resulting in corrupted files. You can run the Storage and Memory tests from here (Make sure you download right versions 32/64 bit) -

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/lenovodiagnosticsolutions/downloads

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

7 Posts

01-28-2015

Philippines

7 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2015-01-28, 17:28 PM

BTW, my laptop is now almost 2years old.

I don't know how to use the OKR, so I didn't try to use it when I bought my laptop.

When I checked the drives, there's a hidden drive, I think it might be the recovery drive? (right?)

What if I keep it as GPT, my drive C is bigger than drive D (it's the default setting when I bought it), if I resize those so I can put my personal files in drive D, could it affect the Recovery thing?

I upgraded my OS to win8.1 but when I restore, it comes back to win8.

So I can jump to win8.1 without installing win8?

Sorry for the messy response I make.

Options

3565 Posts

04-02-2014

Mexico

2532 Signins

40084 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2015-01-28, 17:34 PM

The recovery drive is hidden, yes. You can only see it in Disk Management.

I cannot recommend resizing drives, as YES it can affect your recovery partition if done incorrectly.There are other users who have done this safely, I hope they can respond to you.

You can jump to Win8.1, if you install from Microsoft website. I think they are only offering Win 8.1 installation now.

(Do not mess with recovery partition or format it)

Options

7 Posts

01-28-2015

Philippines

7 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2015-01-28, 17:46 PM

Many thanks for the fast response!

My last concerns,

-what can you recommend if I can't resize it, where can I store my files (except external storage), should I put it all in my drive C? My drive D got only almost 40gb I think?

-are there any guides how to use OneKey Recovery? (so after we fix it, I can now use my okr?)

-When I restored my laptop (without affecting my files; my laptop is pre installed with win8 and upgraded to win8.1), it downgraded to win8, if I install win8.1 (likely as my pre installed OS) instead win8  and when I restore again, should it downgrade or will it stays in win8.1?

I hope they will post some recommendation here how to resizing my drive correctly.

Options

3565 Posts

04-02-2014

Mexico

2532 Signins

40084 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2015-01-28, 18:00 PM

Here is your Manual -

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_y400_y500_hmm.pdf

Your "NOVO" button is on the left side of the laptop.

1) Storage of Personal files is recommended on External drive. I keep mine the same. A HDD can fail any day and you wont be able to get the contents back,

2) Once you press the NOVO key, system will show you a blue screen with options. Follow the instructions on the screen to RESET your laptop.

(I cannot find an official guide with step by step process)

3) I dont know how you restored your laptop. I have never used my recovery on Win8.1 so, I am not sure if it should recover to Win 8 or Win8.1 (anyways, my system came with Win 8.1)

I think if you restore again using the disc or whatever you have it will go back to Win8.

If you use NOVO button, I THINK it should go back to Win 8.1, I am not sure, sorry.

Options

7 Posts

01-28-2015

Philippines

7 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2015-01-28, 18:07 PM

Many thanks again!

I'll read and try to search for more so I can take care of my laptop more. :))

Cheers!

Options

6578 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29022 Signins

1662078 Page Views

• Views: 1662078
  • Message 8 of 9

2015-04-04, 21:00 PM

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

11 Posts

04-25-2013

Sweden

12 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 9 of 9

2015-07-26, 14:05 PM

My guarantee expired in May 2015. I forgot to extend the guarantee.

Laptop repair was in 2014 and then changed HD and system (Windows 8) was installed on.

My laptop malfunction and I thought I reinstall the system but I do not dare because Microsoft says that the license key does not match.

I've talked to the Swedish support but I got no help. They say that my guarantee expired and they have no right to answer my questions. I have been told under the general license terms, I have the right to have a recovery product on request. But, no, the Swedish support can not comment since my guarantee expired. Via the Internet I found that I have the right to get free recovery media (for my USB because I do not have CD reader on the laptop)! 

I tried order media (which costs nearly 40 eu) but unable to pay through some strange banking (Tetra bank). I filled all the my bank details but disconnected from Tetra bank with the statement that I will read FAQ. Tried to find answers but found no answer.
https://www.lenovorecovery.com/Extranet/PriceList.aspx?linkTrack=Contact%20Us_step2:link1_Best%C3%A4lla%20%C3%A5terst%C3%A4llningsmedia

Now I sit firmly and do not know what I'll do? I do not think you should buy laptop for over 1000 eu, HD crashes after less a two years and to support not want to help me now!

What should I do now because it is not I who have lost the product key, it has been done in the repair of Lenovo licenses techniques? 

I bought the computer, and now I can not repair it and not pour Microsoft licensed Windows 8, which I have bought with the laptop.

Grateful for the help.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms