07-04-2015

United States

3 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 11 of 19

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Fan Noise Problem

2015-08-18, 0:34 AM

Older machine -- I was an early purchaser of the Y500 -- but, yeah, I'm now having the noisy fan problem. Only in middle speeds; full speed sounds OK.

Selfclean hasn't solved it. Time to consider either air-blasting it clean, doing the non-recommended manual cleaning, or a replacement. I'm sure I'm long out of warranty.

I expect that when I _do_ get it cleared out, the proximate cause will turn out to have been my cats.

(Wish I'd realised that it was the fan sooner, though. I though I had a dying hard drive, and spent a large chunk of change addressing that. Admittedly, in the process I've now upgraded to an SDD, and I could mount the old drive in the Ultrabay, so the money wasn't wasted ... but it wasn't the right purchase at the right time either.)

Options

1 Posts

10-13-2015

Unites states

2 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 12 of 19

2015-10-13, 4:43 AM

I just started having the same issue here. I'm also an early adopter so no warranty probably left. It is definitely the fan, it doesn't seem to blow much air now and the cleaning routine doesn't help. If anyone finds a solution, post it up;I will of course do the same.

Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

United States of America

9980 Signins

610541 Page Views

• Views: 610541
  • Message 13 of 19

2015-10-13, 11:58 AM

wrote:

I just started having the same issue here. I'm also an early adopter so no warranty probably left. It is definitely the fan, it doesn't seem to blow much air now and the cleaning routine doesn't help. If anyone finds a solution, post it up;I will of course do the same.

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Since your laptop has been in use for quite a while have you ever blown out the cooling vents with compressed air?  If this has never been done then most likely the fan blades and heatsink is coated with dust.  This can lead to poor circulation as well as inefficient cooling and a noisier fan.  Just use a can of compressed air which can be purchased at any electronics store or in the electronics department of any big box store.  Use short bursts of air into the intake and exhaust vents several times until no more dust and debris blows out.  Avoid long blasts of air as they can damage the fan. 

Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

United States of America

9980 Signins

610541 Page Views

• Message 14 of 19

2016-12-21, 14:29 PM
Options

4308 Posts

11-18-2012

United States of America

9980 Signins

610541 Page Views

• Message 15 of 19

2016-12-22, 3:36 AM
Options

13 Posts

12-21-2016

United States of America

12 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 16 of 19

2016-12-23, 23:27 PM

This did not fix it for me, plus my laptop is not very old, 2 months. How can I stop the fan from whirring all the time? I was browsiing earlier and found myself reaching for the mute button, that would be a perfect solution. Again, please, how can I stop this fan from overwokring all the time? I have 3 tabs open at the moment and that's it, nothing else, and it's loud enough to not be able to watch a movie in the same room.

Options

13 Posts

12-21-2016

United States of America

12 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 17 of 19

Lenovo Ideapad 510 Fan problem

2016-12-24, 15:48 PM

I've had this lenovo ideapad 510 for 2 months and it has been nothing but trouble. I've done too many fixes for it for just 2 months but now the fan noise is really unaccceptable. With just 3 tabs open it sounds like a jet taking off and I cannot use it while watching a movie on TV because it's too loud. 
I have been here on this forum for over a week trying to get a solution but am getting totally ignored. I guess Lenovo's customer service is as good as their products.
Please post a fix that works, otherwise let's arrange for me to return this for 50% refund so I can get a laptop that actaully works. I've read the problem is that Lenovo is not compatible with Windows 10 and that is why it's a nigthmare.
Why did you release this product with these confirmed problems?

1. Touchpad sometimes goes crazy and can't be used
2. Unnacceptable fan noise
3. Memory and Disk running at 100%

I feel cheated as I'm doing more technical work to rid this laptop of problems than actaully being able to browse the net or watch anything. As mentioned with only 3 tabs open, it sounds like a jet trying to take off. Bought this at the end of October

Options

2449 Posts

05-01-2010

United States of America

12698 Signins

146653 Page Views

• Views: 146653
  • Message 18 of 19

Re: Lenovo Ideapad 510 Fan problem

2016-12-24, 20:42 PM

As stated in the Community Guidelines, this is a peer-to-peer support community where members share experiences and expertise regarding Lenovo products and services with one another. It is not a dedicated or staffed Support channel. Allow me to express how sorry I am that you encountered difficulties in attempting to resolve your concerns. I can only imagine your frustration. I do not work for Lenovo. I am a customer like you and a volunteer on the forum. There is a Lenovo presence here who deal with some of the broader issues, but unfortunately because of the number of queries there is no guarantee you will receive a direct response. My suggestion is for you contact Lenovo to report the issue and inquire how to go about resolving it. Lenovo offers a variety of ways to contact them for assistance: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/feedback/contactsupport.page? If you have used these methods without resolution for your problem, perhaps you could request that your case be escalated to customer relations. Customer relations should be able to work with service and depending on the circumstances, have the system repaired under the existing standard warranty terms. The quickest route to an escalation for US customers is to call the 1-800-426-7378 number and request the agent to escalate the case on your behalf; they will then be able to explain the process. Usually a standard or extended warranty should be enough in most instances.

*I have moved your other post to this thread. Please keep your discussion in one topic.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-Present
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Using Browser Search to Find Your Answers In Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

1 Posts

09-20-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

14 Signins

204 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 204
  • Message 19 of 19

2017-09-20, 10:28 AM

Hi;

I have purchased and received my lenovo yoga at the end of july and did all the setting after a week as I was very busy at work .....then left for three weeks of  holiday...when I back twoo weeks ago I was very exited to test my new baby ...!!!

But as a result after few day of use I started to notice that it was getting loud and louder .....

The fan goes on and off costantly very loudly simply watching a video or just browsing on facebook!!!

It is almost impossible to read and article online because the noisy sound get you headache..!!

Can anyone give me any sort of explanation and solution ......because doesn't seem normal to me  for a 700 pound new computer ...!!

Many thanks ...!!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms