Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

01-10-2013

los angeles

47 Signins

293 Page Views

• Views: 293
  • Message 411 of 1132

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working

2013-01-11, 8:49 AM

*Update It seems that when my touchpad stopped working it literally disappeared from the laptop.  Even in device manager the touchpad / lenovo pointing device doesnt even exist.. Wth is going on here.  Anyone else having this issue? I haven't tried installing anything yet but how can it just disappear like that?  My Y500 is i7-3630qm 8gb non-sli version.  Mine came with bios 1.05 and WAS using synaptic touchpad..  It was also manufactured 12/22 if that helps anyone.

Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Views: 482
  • Message 412 of 1132

2013-01-11, 10:10 AM

Just dropped by to see if they had fixed this problem. It looks like they have not.

I recently returned my Y500. I am now using my old HP again, waiting for my new one to arrive. It feels like I have gone back to a prehistoric era, because I am using a dual Intel processor. I miss the crisp graphics and speed....but my new laptop will arrive tomorrow! It is a fully loaded HP Envy dv7t-7200. I have more drive space, a bigger screen, more ram, a quicker processor, etc. I customized and maxed out their gamer notebook.

FYI: I found a 30 percent coupon for HP online. Saved tons of $$$$. Too bad Lenovo had this problem. Otherwise, I loved the computer. But the touchpad issue made the computer completely nonfunctional. Because I do a lot of work from home, this was unconscionable.

Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Message 413 of 1132

2013-01-11, 10:12 AM

wrote:

I talked to tech support yesterday, they upgraded the touch pad drivers with a new release that was on 1.06.2013, and the touch pad worked for few hours before starting to act up again. Called tech support today again, they gave me 3 options return for a refund, return for a replacment, or send it to them and they will try to fix the touch pad.  But I haven't heard if they really have  a solution to fix it. I am not sure what to do at this point. 

GET A REFUND! This has been going on since November!

Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Message 414 of 1132

2013-01-11, 10:19 AM

wrote:

Add me to the increasing list of people recognizing the severe touchpad issues that occur with the Y500. My touchpad will lock up and move uncontrollably an time within the first hour (often around only 30 minutes) of use. Putting the computer to sleep alleviates this problem temporarily, as many others have stated.

I find myself in a tricky position, as I am not sure what the do with this laptop. I am really impressed with this laptop outside of the touchpad issue and I have no particular desire for a substitute unless it were a significant upgrade or equitable for a suitable price. I also recognize that exchanging the laptop will likely not solve the problem. My main concern is that if I choose to hold on to the laptop and await a fix past the 21 day return period, tech support will not recognize that I was sold a faulty product should I find the need to return it (given a fix does not arrive in a timely manner). I know this point has been brought up before, but I would truly appreciate confirmation as to the specific details how long I can await a fix without being charged for returning the laptop. Reading through these forums, I have noted that many people sought to return the laptop with varying results from tech support.

Return it! Call sales; push the button to "modify" an order. Tell them you want to arrange a return. It takes about 5 minutes. They told me I would have a FULL refund.

Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Views: 2161
  • Message 415 of 1132

2013-01-11, 12:24 PM

deelybop,

I also have the keyboard issue.  Must have overlooked it because I was concentrating on fixing the touchpad issue. As soon as the touchpad was fixed, I noticed the keyboard would type in extra random characters.  The easiest way to replicate was to hit the "6" key on the numpad.  It would add in an extra "`" randomly so it'll look something like that "6666666`666``666666".  It is completely random and hitting other buttons on the numpad will also add other characters but always the same ones.  This is definitely a shielding issue because I have not had an episode since I've placed some electrical tape around the touchpad.  So I believe that the touchpad is still the source of the main issue.  Right now, I've had the system running for about 4 days without issues.  I'm typing this on my Y500 as we speak and touchpad and keyboard is working fine.  Touchpad's been working fine for weeks now.  All it took was me taking it apart and putting it together over 20 times, staring at it and placing a few well placed electrical type.  I don't recommend others do the same as that will definitely void your warranty.  Let Lenovo figure this issue out, return your laptops.  Maybe Lenovo should hire me as one of their engineers LOL  but I'm just a dumb attack helicopter pilot ;)

wrote:

obviously something around my touchpad is causing the problem with the gibberish typing from those keys surrounding it. so not only does the touchpad not work correctly, maybe there is something in how its connected underneath (keyboard interrupts) that is causing that problem.

so why can't Lenovo jusi9-qewo

just offer to bring the laptops with Elan touchpads in for inspection and replace with Synapse touchpads? or maybe there are electrical issues? not 3.bn/

now that my keyboard is doing this, i'm beginning to wonder.

Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Views: 2161
  • Message 416 of 1132

2013-01-11, 12:31 PM

wrote:
Does anyone NOT have this keyboard problem? To those who do how bad is it? Does it happen a lot? When playing games or surfing the internet? I think I can live without the touchpad for now but a faulty keyboard would ruin any laptop, you wouldn't be able to do anything on it!

You are not the only one with the keyboard problem.  I've been mostly gaming but noticed it after I did some forum posts.  I don't think the keyboard is faulty, it is the same issue as the touchpad which is electrical/shielding related.  I personally don't think any bios or driver update will fix it but then I'm not an electrical engineer.  Now even the Synapics people are starting to be affected even though not to the extent as the Elan.

Personally, I got the thing running fine.  It was very frustrating at times but that is all part of the fun.  It's in my nature to tear stuff apart to see the inner workings.  I do not recommend others follow my footsteps.  I've been on vacation the past month and had some free time on my hands but I would have been pissed if this had happened after I had a long day at work and just want to relax and play with the laptop as it was intended.   

Options

10 Posts

12-17-2012

PA, USA

38 Signins

245 Page Views

• Views: 245
  • Message 417 of 1132

2013-01-11, 14:44 PM

My Touchpad FIX- at least for now....

All- I have a Y500 purchased in early Dec.  It has the Elan touchpad with the original drivers.  I have been back & forth with the lack of WIDI issue and recently my touchpad has exhibited the typical issues... jumping around, etc.  I noticed that the problem only starts when I am typing and I brush my palm against the pad.  Once that happens, I cannot figure out how to stop it.

I am currently running Win 8 with Classic Shell (Win 7 interface emulator) and noticed that the Elan software places a small touchpad icon into the system tray.  (Win 8 OE interface does not have the system tray.)  Whenever the touchpad is used, a small blue dot appears on the icon in the approximate location where the pad is touched.  When my cursor started jumping around, I noticed the blue dots appearing on the touchpad icon, suggesting the pad was receiving some sort of false inputs or that it was too sensitive.

Here is how I fixed it (at least for an hour or two):

- I double-clicked the touchpad icon in the system tray and the Elan Touchpad properties box popped up.  (Touchpad Properties can also be accessed via Control Panel > Device Manager > Mouse > Elan tab)

- Under One Finger tab:  Disabled all except for Tapping and Clicking

- Under Multiple Finger tab:  Disabled all

- Under Additional tab:  Set Palm Tracking to one step below max, set Sensitivity to one step above minimum.  I kept Smart Motion enabled.

I figured there was some combination of swipe/touch/click that was confusing the pad.  For now it works, and I don't use any of the gestures in Win8 so disabling them isn't a big deal from me.  Perhaps a different combo of Palm Tracking & Sensitivity will work for other users.

Options

2 Posts

12-22-2012

UK

2 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 418 of 1132

2013-01-11, 16:32 PM

So does disabling the all touchpad function(except right, left click and moving the mouse cursor) solve this touchpad issue ?

Options

6 Posts

01-05-2013

USA

6 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 419 of 1132

2013-01-11, 16:36 PM

I thinking of returning mine and getting a Y580 model. Does anyone know if the Y580 is also having the same touchpad issues? Thanks!

Options

27 Posts

01-07-2013

Azerbaijan

30 Signins

176 Page Views

• Views: 176
  • Message 420 of 1132

2013-01-11, 16:56 PM

I just called tech support, when I told them I tried the latest drivers they offered me no other sultion other than to send my y500 back to the depot to be worked on. I asked if they would be replacing the touch pad, he said "yes," however he did not know what part they would use. 

Lets give this a try maybe if we clog them up with enough of these bricks they might do somthing. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms