Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

47 Posts

12-26-2012

Netherlands

324 Signins

1524 Page Views

• Views: 1524
  • Message 631 of 1132

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working

2013-01-20, 14:05 PM
The lunatic touchpad will NOT go away installing some other browser software.
It is 100% hardware related.
It will only disappear when replace the touchpad in combination with the bios.
This is what Lenovo also suggest.
I'm wondering why they not respond on this thread anymore.
I wait no longer Monday this Y500 goes for a full refund.
Laptops without good working touchpad are USELESS!!

Options

67 Posts

01-16-2013

USA

281 Signins

851 Page Views

• Views: 851
  • Message 632 of 1132

2013-01-20, 14:32 PM

Hey Tevie

See page 42 for Lenovo_Mark's response- dont really highlight any said fixes- just that they are aware of it and have a soloution for the problem. . 

Mine is on its way to Texas for a fix (I live in US) and the shipping to the facility was covered by lenovo- I dropped my computer off and fed-ex would package it and put it on the truck.  I will be updating with the status of my 'repair' as info becomes available

I am also in the same boat as you with the theroy- I am assuming they knew but still shipped anyway I mean why Nov. 28th and newer are ok but they still sold uits mfged prior Nov. 28.  I have my credit card company disputing the charge until the situation is resolved (repaird or returned for a full refund).  This dispute will hopefully apply some pressure on lenovo to get thier story straight and a proper repair.  Naturally, I think this is an easy step we can all take.

I possessed my computer for 3 days after it was delivered and had to return it- now it looks like it will be gone for at least 2 weeks...

Options

12 Posts

01-14-2013

Sverige

17 Signins

83 Page Views

• Views: 83
  • Message 633 of 1132

2013-01-20, 16:23 PM

Well it worked perfect for another five hours so my configuartion change didnt work for very long....

One interesting piece of fact is that my Y500 was manufactured after they were supposed to be working properly. By just one day though....

Options

29 Posts

01-12-2013

Virginia, US

56 Signins

564 Page Views

• Views: 564
  • Message 634 of 1132

2013-01-20, 19:04 PM

Improper grounding. Hardware.

Options

11 Posts

01-05-2013

South Carolina

22 Signins

159 Page Views

• Views: 159
  • Message 635 of 1132

2013-01-20, 19:12 PM

There have been responses to this thread with others having the touchpad issue with Y500's that were manufactured after the 11/24 date. If you still have the option to return the product for a refund my suggestion is that you do it now while you still can. This is going to be a continual headache. If you are expecting anything in terms of a quick or accurate response from tech support or post sales you are sadly mistaken. The product is cheaper with better options than some competitors offer with coupons although shipping times, quality of the product, and support is terrible.

If you are willing to wait indefinitely for a response and hold out hope for a miracle then by all means it's your call, although it seems very apparent the Lenovo gods are not listening nor do they care.

Options

29 Posts

01-12-2013

Virginia, US

56 Signins

564 Page Views

• Views: 564
  • Message 636 of 1132

2013-01-20, 19:16 PM

I give it another week, afterwards I'm buying a Clevo from Mythlogic

Options

5 Posts

01-07-2013

Michigan

6 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 637 of 1132

2013-01-20, 21:12 PM

I am calling tomorrow to request a refund. The trackpad problem began one week to the day of when I received the computer and has been occurring more frequently ever since. The computer is regularly unusable and is a great disappointment.

Options

30 Posts

01-15-2013

Cleveland, OH

223 Signins

625 Page Views

• Views: 625
  • Message 638 of 1132

2013-01-20, 21:27 PM

wrote:

wrote:

So I tried a couple more things to fix my touchpad. Today I openned it up again and I decided to remove the electrical tape I had placed. Something I noticed about the tape was that it kept being drawn to my skin via static electricity. Which means it held a charge from when I turned it off. My thought was that there was some static buildup that wasn't properly getting grounded. It looks like the silver tape is supposed to ground the touchpad by connecting it to the case. Since there was some leftover charge on the electrical tape I removed, I thought it wasn't grounding properly. So I decided to remove the tape and replace it with a cooper wire. When I turned the computer on, immediately the touchpad freaked out. (This never happened to me before. It always took some time before the touchpad started freaking out.) Based on that, it would seem like the wire made it worse, or perhaps INCREASED the interferance on the touchpad. So the next thing I did was remove the tape all together. I have not had any problems since and the touchpad actually seems to be responding better even. I don't know why this would have helped exactly but it seems to have helped. Granted it has only been a few hours so I will post an update soon if it still works, but for now, still working!

TL;DR:
As far as it looks like, removing the silver tape fixed the problem.

Nice!  Please give hourly reports on your findings... j/k  but please continue to update.  I might open her up again and remove the silver tape.  LOL!  I did lose control of the touchpad last night which resulted in me having to put the laptop to sleep.  I was laying in bed under the sheets with the laptop on top of my belly.  I think there was plenty of static electricity built up so I think you have a solid theory!  The funny thing was, every time the issue arises I am using Google Chrome so I switched to Internet Explorer and the issue never came  back again last night.  I stayed up extra late in bed to try to get it to freak out and it never did while I was using Explorer.

Update:  I've removed the silver grounding tape.  Let's see what happens.

So I have used my computer on and off today, and so far, no problems!  Granted, it still hasn't been that long since I removed the silver tape, however, this is the longest I've gone without a problem and there are no signs of there being a problem.  The touchpad is working really well actually.  I'll continue to keep everyone posted.

:  let me know how your experience goes!  Hope it works for you!

Options

3 Posts

01-14-2013

Mentor, Ohio

7 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 639 of 1132

2013-01-20, 22:03 PM

So the question seems to be, is it better to add additional tape, or remove the tape already there?  I think I will wait a bit longer to see what pans out.  Btw, dah5536 I see your in Cleveland as well :)

Just a quick update on my situation.  I called Lenovo support on Monday, they said they could ship me the new laptop and I would exchange it with the original one when the UPS comes to my door (I did not want to be without a laptop). They told me I would get an email within 3-5 days with additional information before I could proceed.  By Friday, I still had not gotten an email so I called again, they said they had a 'system error' so it would take another couple days before I get the email.

-Cal

Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Views: 2161
  • Message 640 of 1132

2013-01-20, 23:55 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

So I tried a couple more things to fix my touchpad. Today I openned it up again and I decided to remove the electrical tape I had placed. Something I noticed about the tape was that it kept being drawn to my skin via static electricity. Which means it held a charge from when I turned it off. My thought was that there was some static buildup that wasn't properly getting grounded. It looks like the silver tape is supposed to ground the touchpad by connecting it to the case. Since there was some leftover charge on the electrical tape I removed, I thought it wasn't grounding properly. So I decided to remove the tape and replace it with a cooper wire. When I turned the computer on, immediately the touchpad freaked out. (This never happened to me before. It always took some time before the touchpad started freaking out.) Based on that, it would seem like the wire made it worse, or perhaps INCREASED the interferance on the touchpad. So the next thing I did was remove the tape all together. I have not had any problems since and the touchpad actually seems to be responding better even. I don't know why this would have helped exactly but it seems to have helped. Granted it has only been a few hours so I will post an update soon if it still works, but for now, still working!

TL;DR:
As far as it looks like, removing the silver tape fixed the problem.

Nice!  Please give hourly reports on your findings... j/k  but please continue to update.  I might open her up again and remove the silver tape.  LOL!  I did lose control of the touchpad last night which resulted in me having to put the laptop to sleep.  I was laying in bed under the sheets with the laptop on top of my belly.  I think there was plenty of static electricity built up so I think you have a solid theory!  The funny thing was, every time the issue arises I am using Google Chrome so I switched to Internet Explorer and the issue never came  back again last night.  I stayed up extra late in bed to try to get it to freak out and it never did while I was using Explorer.

Update:  I've removed the silver grounding tape.  Let's see what happens.

So I have used my computer on and off today, and so far, no problems!  Granted, it still hasn't been that long since I removed the silver tape, however, this is the longest I've gone without a problem and there are no signs of there being a problem.  The touchpad is working really well actually.  I'll continue to keep everyone posted.

:  let me know how your experience goes!  Hope it works for you!

So far so good.  Granted I've been playing Far Cry 3 most of the day (decided to play the story line again).  But when I'm surfing the web or just messing around in Windows the touchpad feels great.  It is especially responsive in Internet Explorer for some reason.  I'll continue to update daily unless it loses control then I'll report back immediately.  But up until a few nights ago, the touchpad's been working without error.  Somehow the laptop didn't like getting in bed with me.  :P

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)