Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Views: 2161
  • Message 641 of 1132

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working

2013-01-21, 0:01 AM

wrote:

So the question seems to be, is it better to add additional tape, or remove the tape already there?  I think I will wait a bit longer to see what pans out.  Btw, dah5536 I see your in Cleveland as well :)

Just a quick update on my situation.  I called Lenovo support on Monday, they said they could ship me the new laptop and I would exchange it with the original one when the UPS comes to my door (I did not want to be without a laptop). They told me I would get an email within 3-5 days with additional information before I could proceed.  By Friday, I still had not gotten an email so I called again, they said they had a 'system error' so it would take another couple days before I get the email.

-Cal

The extra electrical tape was needed to stop the issue with the keyboard putting in extra characters.  So, for the touchpad issue, seems like the thing to do is to prevent the silver tape from grounding to the cover. 

Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Views: 482
  • Message 642 of 1132

2013-01-21, 5:57 AM

wrote:

There have been responses to this thread with others having the touchpad issue with Y500's that were manufactured after the 11/24 date. If you still have the option to return the product for a refund my suggestion is that you do it now while you still can. This is going to be a continual headache. If you are expecting anything in terms of a quick or accurate response from tech support or post sales you are sadly mistaken. The product is cheaper with better options than some competitors offer with coupons although shipping times, quality of the product, and support is terrible.

If you are willing to wait indefinitely for a response and hold out hope for a miracle then by all means it's your call, although it seems very apparent the Lenovo gods are not listening nor do they care.

Halibut is correct. I bailed out a while ago, but if you read my first posts on here, I thought they would have a quick solution. Needless to say, they didn't. Meanwhile, I have enjoyed my new computer (from another manufacturer) without headache!

Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Message 643 of 1132

2013-01-21, 5:59 AM

wrote:

So the question seems to be, is it better to add additional tape, or remove the tape already there?  I think I will wait a bit longer to see what pans out.  Btw, dah5536 I see your in Cleveland as well :)

Just a quick update on my situation.  I called Lenovo support on Monday, they said they could ship me the new laptop and I would exchange it with the original one when the UPS comes to my door (I did not want to be without a laptop). They told me I would get an email within 3-5 days with additional information before I could proceed.  By Friday, I still had not gotten an email so I called again, they said they had a 'system error' so it would take another couple days before I get the email.

-Cal

Why are you trying to hold on to this model? Just buy something else. Get your refund.

Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Message 644 of 1132

2013-01-21, 6:04 AM

The best words = I'm calling to arrange to return my defective laptop for a FULL REFUND.

Options

6 Posts

01-10-2013

United States

11 Signins

147 Page Views

• Views: 147
  • Message 645 of 1132

2013-01-21, 6:36 AM

Oh dammit.  Add me to the list of screwed up touchpad.  I went more than a month with no issues.   Wish me luck with the refund.

Options

30 Posts

01-15-2013

Cleveland, OH

223 Signins

625 Page Views

• Views: 625
  • Message 646 of 1132

2013-01-21, 6:53 AM

wrote:

wrote:

-Cal

The extra electrical tape was needed to stop the issue with the keyboard putting in extra characters.  So, for the touchpad issue, seems like the thing to do is to prevent the silver tape from grounding to the cover. 

:  Great to hear it's working for you too!

So far I have not had any further issues either! Been using it on and off all day!

: For me, removing the tape worked, but adding tape did not.  I can only speak for my experiences.  But so far it seems like n1smo had success with this as well.  If you or anyone else have questions on how to do this if you are interested, I'd be happy to help!  Of course no garantees for success, but for me so far so good and this has been better than it's been before!  Also, sorry to hear about your trouble with Lenovo's system. I have to admit I had trouble initially when ordering as well, though it probably was a different cause.  At first my order was cancelled unexpectedly.  It has been quite a process getting this computer...

Again, I'll keep everyone posted on how my touchpad is.

Options

42 Posts

12-18-2012

Richardson

42 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 647 of 1132

2013-01-21, 8:36 AM

@drrren_120 Is it possible to do  that, I should try doing laptop swap then! o_o Id prefer it that way, I just cant be without my laptop, I need to be working on my weekly reports at the research department.

I called yesterday and told me tha I have to send it via FedEx (free). I actually live at Richardson, so I guess that it should be sent quickly.... Somehow I prefer to go to grapevine and ask by myself how long does it take them to just changue the touchpad, I am expecting thet they are willing to folllow a whole protocol (reseting to manufacture, installing drivers, etc) instead of just changing that but as long as this problem is solved...

@everyone Keep up on updating your situation about the silver tape!

Options

1 Posts

01-21-2013

Koudum (nld)

3 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 648 of 1132

2013-01-21, 9:35 AM

Touchpad issue already solved?

I also have the weird touchpad problem. Sometimes is it all over the screen and clicks its way to my disaster. Very annoying. I think Lenovo needs to replace the touchpad and informe the resellers about this. Mediamarkt (nld) acts if they never heard of it. I hope they 'll respond properly.

Options

42 Posts

12-18-2012

Richardson

42 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 649 of 1132

2013-01-21, 10:05 AM

Nope, just Mark told us to send back units for repairments.

What dissapoints me is that they are not fully recognizing this mistake,  not making a sticky thread announcing this failure, not willing to take responsability as the prestiigious enterprise they are (a post from the staff from XX page on a 'normal forum thread' doesn't count if you ask me).

Im not asking for some sort of compensation, just that Lenovo  make an official announcment about this situation, at least on the forums, not being so secretive/evassive, killing posts with actually good information (n1sm0s posts), its the minimum that they should do.

I know that everyone is prone to failure, but  these are the moments when somebody can shine its best by making more efforts and learning of it of course, somehow my hopes/expectations where so high for Lenovo, but fading as times passes, (especially yesterday when I asked for options with the support guy)

I'm still waiting for a better solution, other than just resend back the lap or refund it. I wouldn't be so annoyed if it would be possible to swap laptops ith the UPS/Fedex mailman, something that doesnt leave me out without a workstation, as a foreign student i cannot be without a laptop, because thats equal to academic failure unfortunately. But I guess that I'm just a number. What it's cynical is that the support fella offered me warranty extension/upgrades :V.

Ill try to talk to support and  try again with laptop swap, orI'm  even willing going to the repair place at Grapevine as I live near there.

Other thing is, seems that support service people don't know about this problem and keep up insisting with the protocol solutions (restoring to manufacture/reinstall drivers stuff).

Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Views: 2161
  • Message 650 of 1132

2013-01-21, 13:08 PM

wrote:

@drrren_120 Is it possible to do  that, I should try doing laptop swap then! o_o Id prefer it that way, I just cant be without my laptop, I need to be working on my weekly reports at the research department.

I called yesterday and told me tha I have to send it via FedEx (free). I actually live at Richardson, so I guess that it should be sent quickly.... Somehow I prefer to go to grapevine and ask for myself how long does it take them to just changue the touchpad, c'mon, Perhaps they are willung to folllow a whole protocol (reseting to manufacture, installing drivers, etc).

@everyone Keep up on updating your situation about the silver tape!

Daily update:  I don't know what the deal is, I've been able to run the Y500 for weeks without the touchpad issue but now (the past 2 days) it seems to be coming back ever so slightly.  What I've noticed is that if my palm is resting on the palm rest (top cover) for a long time and using the touchpad it will start to wander.  This isn't a full uncontrollable/ unrecoverable event especially since removing the silver tape but I would have to take my palm off the laptop and wait for about 10 seconds before everything goes back to normal.  Before removing the silver tape, the only way to recover was to put the laptop into standby.  Almost looks like my palm and my finger is acting as the silver tape making the connection between the palm rest and the touchpad?  I also have not been taking the laptop with me to bed until a few days ago so that could be it.  When the laptop is on my ottoman it functions just fine.  I'll update again tomorrow!  :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms