Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

12-23-2012

Netherlands

144 Signins

537 Page Views

• Views: 537
  • Message 661 of 1132

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working

2013-01-21, 15:58 PM

@dwgjr330

You can use the restore button when the laptop is turned off (next to the power connector on the left side of the laptop) to restore it to the default installation.

All data will be wiped when you do.

If you want to make sure that everything is gone, you can use a program like sdelete to whipe all the clean space on the harddisk after you have performed the restore.

Options

5 Posts

01-07-2013

Michigan

6 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 662 of 1132

2013-01-21, 16:06 PM

I received my RA# without a problem which I expected because I am well within the 21 day return period. As long as I receive my refund in adequate time I will be satisfied. 

Options

30 Posts

01-15-2013

Cleveland, OH

223 Signins

625 Page Views

• Views: 625
  • Message 663 of 1132

2013-01-21, 16:52 PM

wrote:

wrote:

@drrren_120 Is it possible to do  that, I should try doing laptop swap then! o_o Id prefer it that way, I just cant be without my laptop, I need to be working on my weekly reports at the research department.

I called yesterday and told me tha I have to send it via FedEx (free). I actually live at Richardson, so I guess that it should be sent quickly.... Somehow I prefer to go to grapevine and ask for myself how long does it take them to just changue the touchpad, c'mon, Perhaps they are willung to folllow a whole protocol (reseting to manufacture, installing drivers, etc).

@everyone Keep up on updating your situation about the silver tape!

Daily update:  I don't know what the deal is, I've been able to run the Y500 for weeks without the touchpad issue but now (the past 2 days) it seems to be coming back ever so slightly.  What I've noticed is that if my palm is resting on the palm rest (top cover) for a long time and using the touchpad it will start to wander.  This isn't a full uncontrollable/ unrecoverable event especially since removing the silver tape but I would have to take my palm off the laptop and wait for about 10 seconds before everything goes back to normal.  Before removing the silver tape, the only way to recover was to put the laptop into standby.  Almost looks like my palm and my finger is acting as the silver tape making the connection between the palm rest and the touchpad?  I also have not been taking the laptop with me to bed until a few days ago so that could be it.  When the laptop is on my ottoman it functions just fine.  I'll update again tomorrow!  :)

So your touchpad has acted up recently then?  That is really weird that it's been working for weeks but not anymore! So the problem happened even with removing the silver tape?  So far I have not had any issues with that solution.  I hope that doesn't change...  I would be very disappointed.

I would just recommend to people to send their units back and get either refunds or replacements.  Unless you want to deal with openning it up, it will definitely be easier and more reliable to get a refund.  For those interested in openning it up, I will continue to post updates as well.

Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Views: 482
  • Message 664 of 1132

2013-01-21, 21:18 PM

wrote:
Just got off the phone with Lenovo support requesting a return. Surprisingly they did not give me any problems about returning it for a refund even though I am outside of the 21 days. I received all the documentation to return the laptop and will be doing so after the hard drive is thoroughly wiped. I was expecting a fight to get it returned but the ease of doing it changed my opinion of Lenovo from negative to neutral. At this point I would at least consider buying from them again (not this model). The person I spoke with on the phone said there would be a 2 day quality control check and a refund would be issues 3-5 days later. I am just hoping they don't try claim something is not working (like the touchpad) and not issue me a refund. I am wondering if I shouldn't dispute the charges with my credit card company still. I believe I have 120 days to do that so I think I may hold off on that.

I think the 21 day is just a 'no questions" return. But outside of that , you can return it for a defect. If not, they can always make an exception. The product is defective. Give it back and get another product. Otherwise, you will be struggling with this issue for a very long time.

Options

3 Posts

01-14-2013

Mentor, Ohio

7 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 665 of 1132

2013-01-21, 21:58 PM

Just received this email today, glad to get a response! Well, since they have no more Y500's for replacement, I think I am going to see about sending them the one I have to replace the touchpad with a synaptics touchpad.  Not sure I really want just a refund. I really like this laptop, minus the touchpad.

Thank you for contacting Lenovo.
Further to your query on the replacement request on order number xxxxxxxxxx, we regret to inform you that we would be unable to process the request for replacement as the same model (IdeaPad Y500 Laptop - 954135U - Dusk Black) is unavailable. Hence would request you to contact the Post sales team at: 866-428-4465 Option#1 or 2 to setup returns for a full refund on the defective machine. Please be advised that we have 21 days of returns policy from the date of shipment, however as there is an issue on the laptop the returns can be processed within 90 days from the date of the shipment.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, We would also like to let you know you are a valuable customer for Lenovo and we appreciate your business with us. 

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1-866-428-4465, we would be glad to assist you.

Options

3 Posts

01-06-2013

USA

3 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 666 of 1132

2013-01-21, 22:22 PM

For those getting a refund, be prepared to wait a while.  They've had my returned Y500 since Jan. 9.  I've called twice checking on the refund status and I always get told to wait "3-5 days" longer.  The last thing Sanjuck or whatever his name was told me was that it was posted to my credit card on Jan. 18 but will take another 3-5 days to show up.  I don't believe it has been posted since my credit card company allows me to see real-time transactions.  I see immediately when anything is posted, and then it gets transferred over as a real xaxtion in 2 days.

Options

15 Posts

01-22-2013

New Jersey

14 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 667 of 1132

2013-01-22, 0:28 AM

Can anyone confirm that Y500's purchased as of today will come with the new Synaptics touchpad? Has there been any announcement from Lenovo? Thanks.

Options

8 Posts

01-15-2013

Toronto, Canada

13 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 668 of 1132

2013-01-22, 4:07 AM

Got my y500 today, synaptics touchpad. I have been working with Windows 8 and teaching people about the touch features on other tablets and mobile devices. I am actually very impressed by the Touchpads features with regards to Windows 8. At first I was terribly confused by what my Touchpad was doing and thought that maybe not all the bugs were properly fixed. Then I decided to try to configure the settings for the mouse, and bingo. Found all the edge swipe in commands that truly optimize Windows 8 performance. Of course I disabled and minimized certain features so it would not be too overwhelming, but I understand now why the trackpad is the size it is and why there must have been a ton of issues with it.

Options

42 Posts

12-18-2012

Richardson

42 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 669 of 1132

2013-01-22, 4:55 AM

@Tanzi So tell me, how much time and the repair took? :)

Options

6 Posts

01-10-2013

United States

11 Signins

147 Page Views

• Views: 147
  • Message 670 of 1132

2013-01-22, 5:28 AM

Got my RA for return with no issues. Hopefully, the credit processing will happen in a timely manner.

But this is really unfortunate. Other than the possessed touchpad, this is actually a very good laptop.  Was very tempted to do an exchange or reapair, but I don't think it's worth the hassle if it comes back the same way.  A little better quality control would have gone a long ways.   Lenovo loss a few customers with this one.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms