Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

23 Posts

01-11-2013

Twin Cities, MN

137 Signins

741 Page Views

• Views: 741
  • Message 671 of 1132

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working

2013-01-22, 16:07 PM

Sent my y500 in for repair on the 6th....Stil waiting......

Options

4 Posts

01-17-2013

Sweden

6 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 672 of 1132

2013-01-22, 16:43 PM

A quick update on my experiences:

I thought the problem was solved by covering the metal parts of the touchpad with electrical tape. It worked well for 4 days (~10 hours total use). Then it freaked out again. And once more the next day. It was usable again after closing the lid and opening after a minute or so. 

After reading that another theory was that the silver tape might cause the problem, I decided to test it. Stripped the case and removed the tape from the chassi, leaving it on the touchpad, but twisted if you catch my drift. Removed all extra tape I had out there before. 

Have had no problems this far, after 3 days, but havent used the computer all that much (~ 5 hours). It has followed me to bed though and that doesnt cause problems for me at this point.

I have contacted the shop where I bought the computer and they sent me a return sticker. Still hesitating to send it in as I dont want to be left with no computer for a long period of time.

Will report back later. Howdy!

Options

30 Posts

01-15-2013

Cleveland, OH

223 Signins

625 Page Views

• Views: 625
  • Message 673 of 1132

2013-01-22, 17:46 PM

wrote:

A quick update on my experiences:

I thought the problem was solved by covering the metal parts of the touchpad with electrical tape. It worked well for 4 days (~10 hours total use). Then it freaked out again. And once more the next day. It was usable again after closing the lid and opening after a minute or so. 

After reading that another theory was that the silver tape might cause the problem, I decided to test it. Stripped the case and removed the tape from the chassi, leaving it on the touchpad, but twisted if you catch my drift. Removed all extra tape I had out there before. 

Have had no problems this far, after 3 days, but havent used the computer all that much (~ 5 hours). It has followed me to bed though and that doesnt cause problems for me at this point.

I have contacted the shop where I bought the computer and they sent me a return sticker. Still hesitating to send it in as I dont want to be left with no computer for a long period of time.

Will report back later. Howdy!

Glad it is working for you so far! So far, I have still not had any problems since removing the tape, and I have used the computer for a good deal of time now (though I can't give an exact number).  Keep us updated on your situation.  I will do the same.

Options

9 Posts

01-18-2013

Ny

25 Signins

314 Page Views

• Views: 314
  • Message 674 of 1132

2013-01-22, 18:18 PM

Ordered my laptop around the 8th and it keeps getting delayed!! The shipping date has been changed roughly 5 times since I ordered the laptop!

The latest shipping date is now in February! Looks like there is a months waiting time for this laptop! I also specifically asked the sales representative to make sure they send me the laptop with Synaptics touchpad but as someone here mentioned their laptop (Same model # as the one I ordered) came with ELAN! I'm hoping that it's being delayed because they are working on this issue! I can't imagine waiting 1 month for a laptop and then it having the ELAN TOUCHPAD!!

Model 954135U

Options

9 Posts

01-18-2013

Ny

25 Signins

314 Page Views

• Views: 314
  • Message 675 of 1132

2013-01-22, 18:29 PM

Another issue of concern:

What do you guys think is happening to all of these y500's that are being returned?!?

Will Lenovo repair them and ship them out as NEW?!? I'm hoping they will not!!  Their best bet is to probably sell them at a discount on their outlet website.

For those getting replacements, I would verify and fully inspect the laptops that you are receiving.

Options

47 Posts

12-26-2012

Netherlands

324 Signins

1524 Page Views

• Views: 1524
  • Message 676 of 1132

2013-01-22, 18:32 PM

@Mark Lenovo

@Nine

@Any other from the Lenovo team

Yesterday I contact the Lenovo repair center in Holland..

They have heard about this problem (that is something) but that Lenovo still have no solution.

I leave my phone number and they call me when Lenovo provide a solution.

Did you contact the service centers Mark?

And if so, What is the solution?

We are waiting for over two month's now.

I see that Lenovo increase the refund time to 90 days... that doesn't feel good.

Options

11 Posts

12-25-2012

Netherlands

183 Signins

797 Page Views

• Views: 797
  • Message 677 of 1132

2013-01-22, 18:53 PM

@Mark Lenovo

@Nine

@Any other from the Lenovo team

Could you please make sure that the repair/support centers in Denmark, Austria and Germany are aware of this issue... I am moving a lot between these countries and the Netherlands... I will call the Austrian repair/support center this week, but it would be a waste of time if after extensive local bureaucracy, the answer is "we don't know".

Options

9 Posts

01-05-2013

Ontario

47 Signins

258 Page Views

• Views: 258
  • Message 678 of 1132

2013-01-22, 19:49 PM

Noticed someone else from Canada already replied, thought I join the canadian user army as well.

Missed my delivery yesterday, so had to pick it up this morning. First thing I tried to do is to look up what touchpad I had, took me 20 minutes to stop battling the Windows 8 interface and install Classic shell. Turns out I got Synaptics. Which is good in case if I come to love the laptop, bad if I decide to get rid of it.

Well, the thing is. Even with Synaptics touchpad, it's far from good experiece. Whoever decided to integrate buttons into touchpad itself did not know what he was doing, because often, when I want to click something, I drag my finger across the button (which is still touchpad) and end up moving the cursor. That is a flaw. Period.

Also for some reason, this touchpad does not work as I would expect it. When I try to move it, lets say 1/10 of normal speed of the cursor, I of course move my finger 1/10 of normal speed, as any other person would do. But the laptop does not recognize such slow movements, insted it moves the cursor as slowly as I need it when I move my finger 1/2 of normal speed. It's like there's software behind the scenes that tries to smooth out the experience but fails. That is really weird and bugs me so much, at least for now, I might get used to it in the future, or find a solution for it.

Also the cursor does move slightly a bit off course sometimes, but I think its because the touchpad itself is just not as precise as in other laptops. Dont think its worth refund. And the problem seems to be appearing less after I updated Synaptics driver and uninstalled that Inteligent Touchpad bloatware.

Also, the material the touchpad is made of is weird. It's a type of rubber, but it feels and behaves like paper. Your finger will ride smoothly when it's dry, but you might experience problems when its wet.

Overall, I'm okay with the laptop, I did my research beforehand, and did not expect to have WIDI or anything, instead I was looking at the laptop as a downgraded gaming powerhouse like Alienware, with possibility of later power increase by purchasing the ultrabay card. Lenovo did a step ahead with some aspects, but then did a step back with something else. 

Options

12 Posts

01-09-2013

South Carolina

43 Signins

325 Page Views

• Views: 325
  • Message 679 of 1132

2013-01-22, 21:14 PM

Recieved my replacement today...has Elan touchpad according to mouse settings in control pannel, maybe they fixed the elan pads? It was submitted for a replacement because of the touchpad so I can't see why they would send me one with a messed up one, I'll keep an eye on it.

Maybe I'm crazy, but this laptop was manufactured before the cut off date for the replacements as well! Makes me wonder if I got a refurb?! I also feel as though this one is slightly more heavy although the hardware seems identical. Checked the install dates on add/remove programs and everything was installed on the exact same day as the other laptop. The touchpad feels different and makes slightly more noise though so I wonder if something wasn't done. Under the same conditions the GPU and CPU seem to be running 3-5 degrees warmer on the new machine as well...Someone please call me crazy that I'm worrying over nothing...

Options

7 Posts

01-09-2013

Canada

97 Signins

212 Page Views

• Views: 212
  • Message 680 of 1132

2013-01-23, 1:19 AM
Got my Y500 today, and I've thankfully got the synaptics touchpad!! (I do live in Canada as well) The synaptics pad is ok, kinda wonky at first but I've already gotten pretty used to it. I'm very satisfied with the laptop, so far I've played skyrim at 1920x1080 on high settings with 30-40 fps!!! Windows 8 is tolerable, not in love but I can live with it. Overall very good laptop!!!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms