2161 Page Views

• Views: 2161
  • Message 731 of 1132

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working

2013-01-25, 21:02 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@drrren_120 Is it possible to do  that, I should try doing laptop swap then! o_o Id prefer it that way, I just cant be without my laptop, I need to be working on my weekly reports at the research department.

I called yesterday and told me tha I have to send it via FedEx (free). I actually live at Richardson, so I guess that it should be sent quickly.... Somehow I prefer to go to grapevine and ask for myself how long does it take them to just changue the touchpad, c'mon, Perhaps they are willung to folllow a whole protocol (reseting to manufacture, installing drivers, etc).

@everyone Keep up on updating your situation about the silver tape!

Daily update:  I don't know what the deal is, I've been able to run the Y500 for weeks without the touchpad issue but now (the past 2 days) it seems to be coming back ever so slightly.  What I've noticed is that if my palm is resting on the palm rest (top cover) for a long time and using the touchpad it will start to wander.  This isn't a full uncontrollable/ unrecoverable event especially since removing the silver tape but I would have to take my palm off the laptop and wait for about 10 seconds before everything goes back to normal.  Before removing the silver tape, the only way to recover was to put the laptop into standby.  Almost looks like my palm and my finger is acting as the silver tape making the connection between the palm rest and the touchpad?  I also have not been taking the laptop with me to bed until a few days ago so that could be it.  When the laptop is on my ottoman it functions just fine.  I'll update again tomorrow!  :)

So your touchpad has acted up recently then?  That is really weird that it's been working for weeks but not anymore! So the problem happened even with removing the silver tape?  So far I have not had any issues with that solution.  I hope that doesn't change...  I would be very disappointed.

I would just recommend to people to send their units back and get either refunds or replacements.  Unless you want to deal with openning it up, it will definitely be easier and more reliable to get a refund.  For those interested in openning it up, I will continue to post updates as well.

dah, I think I just didn't do it properly.  I've been traveling the past week and it was acting up in random spots, even though it didn't do it on the plane for some reason...  But I've since taken the laptop apart and redid the silver tape.  I didn't remove the tape completely but placed electrical tape between the silver tape and the case so if I need to stick the silver tape back on, I could.  I think I didn't do a very good job the first time, the electrical tape was overlapping into other parts so I trimmed it up and it seems to be running good.  I'll report back if it becomes an issue again.  Everything seems to be running correctly for the past 24 hours or so.

Options

67 Posts

01-16-2013

USA

281 Signins

851 Page Views

• Views: 851
  • Message 732 of 1132

2013-01-25, 23:17 PM

Don't bother sending it back for repairs- they are backlogged with no parts- mine has been sitting for 2 days now waiting for parts- and naturally 2 more since it will be the weekend...

Feel free to take guesses when my unit will ship.

To all of those that are on the fence about buying or just bought- return it! you will either have problems now or in a few weeks after it is too late to really have leverage. I signed for my computer on Jan 14th- used it for 3 days and have since had it out for repair... (and soon to be refund) not cool

At first they wont let you go past your 21 days if you have it for repair or w/e but if you get fired up enough they will back that around... so scream and shout a bit and hopefully you will get somewhere. 

Options

11 Posts

01-26-2013

AZ, USA

44 Signins

432 Page Views

• Views: 432
  • Message 733 of 1132

Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working. Sent in for Repair, Still Waiting

2013-01-26, 1:20 AM

I received my Y500 from the New Year's sale and when I started using it the touch pad the mouse started glitching all over the screen without any input. I found that with restarting/rebooting/sleep/hibernating the mouse would settle down then with certain triggers the mouse would start glitching again. I found that clicking the touch pad on the corners would make it worse, but it wasn't consistent. The touchpad would only accept the ELAN drivers-- no synaptics. I called technical support the 5th and they advised to send it in to get it repaired after much deliberation to try getting other drivers to work. I sent it in as advised. As of the 17th they've been holding due to a shortage on parts. Today I called for another update as I was upset that they told me that they initially told me that it would be done around the 23rd and they were missing the part(s). The rep over the phone today told me that it should ship over the weekend and sometime this week as they got the parts in.

Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Views: 482
  • Message 734 of 1132

2013-01-26, 2:28 AM
Sorry, it only says "could exhibit"; it also says it is isolated.
Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Message 735 of 1132

Have you written a review for the Y500

2013-01-26, 2:35 AM

I wrote a review for the Y500, and Lenovo has not posted it yet. There are only a few negative reviews, and some of them mention the touchpad. But those reviews still say positive things about other aspects. I gave it a 1 a few days ago, but Lenovo has not published it.

Options

40 Posts

01-25-2013

Wichita

57 Signins

842 Page Views

• Views: 842
  • Message 736 of 1132

2013-01-26, 4:58 AM

It's a heat issue

Options

40 Posts

01-25-2013

Wichita

57 Signins

842 Page Views

• Views: 842
  • Message 737 of 1132

2013-01-26, 5:08 AM

some thing on the touch pad assembly is not seeded right so when the laptop gets hot it start to act up

replace assembly

Options

42 Posts

12-18-2012

Richardson

42 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 738 of 1132

2013-01-26, 8:08 AM

@ DArthXBlade What makes you think its a heat issue?

In my case, as long as i dont use it, it doesn't freak out. Sounds like its charging up rather that heat problems. But then comes the silver tape stuff. I'd think that silver tape will allow my touchpad to discharge through chasis, but it seems the opposite, then your statement makes more sense as silver tape allows more heat conduction from the laptop itself.

Lol wut, what's happening, perhaps the chasis isnt even grounded? (I aint no laptop expert, but do laptops discharge through ground? Or is it just the power supply connected to ground?)

moderator edit(s): subject(s) renamed.

Options

3 Posts

01-26-2013

Netherlands

13 Signins

132 Page Views

• Views: 132
  • Message 739 of 1132

2013-01-26, 9:52 AM

Hi Everyone, I'm experiencing exactly the same issues. Bought my Y500 in a webshop just before Xmas and am very pleased with it. After a few days the ELAN touchpad started going crazy. As most of you I started updating touchpad drivers without success. Then I found this forum and it became clear it's definitely a hardware issue.

The problem is even getting worse and worse. The cursor now just starts operating all by itself and a left click on the pad immediately invokes the problem. I now have to disable the touchpad and use an external mouse to use the laptop.

I called Lenovo in the Netherlands and explained about all you guys having the same problem. The sales rep responded quite bluntly and said "We're not going to talk about that". He told me to backup my data, do the OneKey recovery and if the problem then still occurs I can call back and send it in for repair. It will take about 15 working days excluding shipping. :smileymad:

Yesterday I backed up all my data and I just completed the OneKey recovery. As expected of a hardware problem one left mouse click on the touchpad was enough to trigger the problem and let the cursor go crazy again. I will call Lenovo first thing Monday morning to get the shipping label and return it. I will keep you posted on the repair process.

Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Message 740 of 1132

2013-01-26, 18:45 PM
Max4fr - you should always ask the sales rep for their ID number and email address. Also, talk to someone about a return for your money back. They are never going to fix this.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete