01-26-2013

Seattle

9 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 751 of 1132

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working

2013-01-27, 9:01 AM

that suck, how on earth are we to even enjoy ur investment. **bleep** Lenovo.

Options

18 Posts

12-23-2012

Netherlands

144 Signins

537 Page Views

• Views: 537
  • Message 752 of 1132

2013-01-27, 9:02 AM

@MotoNerd

No, it's not a driver issue.

People on this forum have tried no drivers, old drivers, drivers from other manufacturers, other operating systems and much more. The problem still persists.

On page 42 Mark_Lenovo admits it's I hardware issue with the ELAN touch pad.

Your laptop will probably start bugging again soon.

A forum thread will not collect more than 70 pages, and people will not send their laptops in for repair or get their money back, when it's just a driver issue.

My laptop has been at the Lenovo repair centre in the Netherlands for almost two weeks, hope I hear from them soon.

Options

4 Posts

01-26-2013

Seattle

9 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 753 of 1132

2013-01-27, 9:48 AM

I guess I will start calling them up this week and let them know whats up.  Thanks!

Options

42 Posts

12-18-2012

Richardson

42 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 754 of 1132

2013-01-27, 12:05 PM

How much time have been using it without freaking out n1smo?

Options

4 Posts

01-18-2013

Indiana

36 Signins

133 Page Views

• Views: 133
  • Message 755 of 1132

2013-01-27, 14:45 PM

I really tried this driver suggested by motonerd and it solved the issue 99.9%. First, I removed all ELAN drivers, then installed this driver and disabled all advanced functionalities from Control Panel (eg. zooming, swipe, rotating). I only kept two-finger scrolling as I need this feature, and since then I almost had no issues (around 5 hours of using my laptop.), So I think that fixes it.

Again, here is the link: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/elantech.htm , download v11.7.8.5, which was released less than a week ago!

Maybe it is a hardware problem, but sometimes you can get around hardware problems using software tricks. Remember that it only acts crazy after a while of acting correctly so time is a factor (maybe the internal hardware buffers get full or are not used properly), so maybe this new driver resets it when it feels that it is going crazy.

Try it, you won't loose anything. The new driver is very smooth and I love it. In fact, I love it more than Synaptics driver.

BTW, just two months ago I bought a lenovo laptop with Synaptics touchpad and it was acting crazy (very lagging, extremely hard to control the pointer, etc) and the solution was to disable all touchpad advanced features, except scrolling, which is very essential. It looks that this is very immature technology they are shipping now!

For novice users: to disable advanced features go to Control Panel -> Mouse, Go to the TouchPad tab (the last one on the right) and uncheck all features checkboxes, close the window and have fun. Yes it is working for me!

EDIT: I have to admit that although the new driver made it better, it does sometimes act crazy :(

Options

67 Posts

01-16-2013

USA

281 Signins

851 Page Views

• Views: 851
  • Message 756 of 1132

2013-01-27, 14:48 PM

Got an email from UPS saying something was shipping to me from NC- but my computer is in Texas(on hold for parts)... any guesses as to what is up?  Hahah is my computer totally dead or will be out for several more weeks and this is a replacement?

I did not order a new laptop or anything like that- don't really feel like calling and trying to translate what is going on - just frustrated

Options

47 Posts

12-26-2012

Netherlands

324 Signins

1524 Page Views

• Views: 1524
  • Message 757 of 1132

2013-01-27, 15:41 PM

wrote:

BTW, just two months ago I bought a lenovo laptop with Synaptics touchpad and it was acting crazy (very lagging, extremely hard to control the pointer, etc) and the solution was to disable all touchpad advanced features, except scrolling, which is very essential. It looks that this is very immature technology they are shipping now!

Maybe that laptop came with outdated drivers.

We have Elantech hardware that NOT operates on Synaptics drivers because the driver does not even find the hardware.

What type of laptop do you have (Y500?) and what is the production date and the bios version?

Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Views: 482
  • Message 758 of 1132

2013-01-27, 16:16 PM

wrote:

I really tried this driver suggested by  and it solved the issue 99.9%. First, I removed all ELAN drivers, then installed this driver and disabled all advanced functionalities from Control Panel (eg. zooming, swipe, rotating). I only kept two-finger scrolling as I need this feature, and since then I almost had no issues (around 5 hours of using my laptop.), So I think that fixes it.

Again, here is the link: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/elantech.htm , download v11.7.8.5, which was released less than a week ago!

Maybe it is a hardware problem, but sometimes you can get around hardware problems using software tricks. Remember that it only acts crazy after a while of acting correctly so time is a factor (maybe the internal hardware buffers get full or are not used properly), so maybe this new driver resets it when it feels that it is going crazy.

Try it, you won't loose anything. The new driver is very smooth and I love it. In fact, I love it more than Synaptics driver.

For novice users: to disable advanced features go to Control Panel -> Mouse, Go to the TouchPad tab (the last one on the right) and uncheck all features checkboxes, close the window and have fun. Yes it is working for me!

EDIT: I have to admit that although the new driver made it better, it does sometimes act crazy :(

Question: Why did you keep the computer instead of returning it? I returned mine, and my model (different company) works perfectly - the way it should!

Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Views: 482
  • Message 759 of 1132

HONEST QUESTION

2013-01-27, 16:20 PM

I see so many people going to extreme measures to make a basic function of a computer work (the touchpad). So, I have an honest question: Why are you holding on to this defective product, instead of returning it? Yes, the computer is nice, but there are comparable models. The same equipment exists on other laptops. Yes, they have a good price at Lenovo, but the thing doesn't work; also, other companies have discounts and coupons. If you are outside of the 21-day period, insist upon returning it anyway. Someone posted that they will accept these as returns for 90 days.

So - if you just won't return the product, how can you complain about Lenovo? You have decided to hold on to a defective product. Well, enjoy it!

Options

4 Posts

01-18-2013

Indiana

36 Signins

133 Page Views

• Views: 133
  • Message 760 of 1132

2013-01-27, 16:21 PM

Because:

1. I need it so much, I am a grad student and can't live a day without a computer

2. Its been more than 21 days since I bought it, so I can't return it.

3. They are charging 15% restocking fees, aren't they?

4. If you mean for fixing, people are reporting that "fixed" laptops are not actually fixed, so what else can I do? :(

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete