12-15-2012

New York, NY

190 Signins

1577 Page Views

• Views: 1577
  • Message 761 of 1132

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working

2013-01-27, 19:19 PM
It's 21 days to report the complaint, I think. For example I have had the computer since December, but complaint was registered 12/19 and they gave me an RMA to return the replacement next week.

I think that disabling the majority of the functioning of the touchpad so it works is not the same thing as having the functioning device I paid for. We were ripped off, folks.
Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Views: 2161
  • Message 762 of 1132

2013-01-27, 19:59 PM

wrote:

How much time have been using it without freaking out n1smo?

The first time I fixed it which was about 3 wks ago and it went without error for 2 wks.  Last week I took it apart to take pictures for the forum here and it started acting up again.  Finally solution right now to get it to function properly again is to relocate the grounding point.  It's been running smoothly again for the past 2 days.  The thing that really stresses the touchpad out is doing a lot of drag & scroll in Google maps and it has performed very well so far.  I think this is the solution for me and it should be ok from this point forward.  Finger crossed..

Options

30 Posts

01-15-2013

Cleveland, OH

223 Signins

625 Page Views

• Views: 625
  • Message 763 of 1132

2013-01-27, 20:55 PM

wrote:

wrote:

The first time I fixed it which was about 3 wks ago and it went without error for 2 wks.  Last week I took it apart to take pictures for the forum here and it started acting up again.  Finally solution right now to get it to function properly again is to relocate the grounding point.  It's been running smoothly again for the past 2 days.  The thing that really stresses the touchpad out is doing a lot of drag & scroll in Google maps and it has performed very well so far.  I think this is the solution for me and it should be ok from this point forward.  Finger crossed..

That's very weird that we have 2 seemingly different solutions to this problem.. My touchpad has still not acted up all week since I removed the silver tape, yet it doesn't work for you.  Meanwhile your solution didn't seem to work for me..  I don't really know what to think about this issue anymore...  I just hope mine doesn't start acting up again...  Hope yours ends up working too!

Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Message 764 of 1132

2013-01-27, 21:34 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

That's very weird that we have 2 seemingly different solutions to this problem.. My touchpad has still not acted up all week since I removed the silver tape, yet it doesn't work for you.  Meanwhile your solution didn't seem to work for me..  I don't really know what to think about this issue anymore...  I just hope mine doesn't start acting up again...  Hope yours ends up working too!

Indeed, it is the complete opposite of your solution.  For me, it was a grounding issue, and I think it is the same with the keyboard.  The touchpad feels great after relocating the silver tape.  Very responsive, and I have the multi gesture stuff enabled, everything works good.  

The red circle indicates where I've move the silver tape too, had to angle it a little but now it is grounded directly onto the top aluminum case as opposed to the painted plastic (conductive?).  I've been trying to get it to fail ever since and so far it is working perfectly.

New grounding point

Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Views: 482
  • Message 765 of 1132

2013-01-28, 1:30 AM
they extended the period to 90 days. even if they didn't you call and demand a refund,

also, you have to find a way to deal. you are a student, but you're going to let them rip you off over a thousand dollars?
Options

42 Posts

12-18-2012

Richardson

42 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 766 of 1132

2013-01-28, 1:32 AM

So you taped also the red point? Wow, does it come with that much tape? o.o

I was searching for conductive tape, but they seem expensive. Is it made of aluminum? Also, since you've been retaping, it seems it hasn lost adhesion?

Wow, if it failed in two weeks, I could live with that, way better than failing in just 15 minutes indeed. What made you decide to try another taping location? Perfectionism?:smileyhappy:

Options

63 Posts

12-27-2012

USA

62 Signins

482 Page Views

• Views: 482
  • Message 767 of 1132

2013-01-28, 1:34 AM
And there is no restocking fee for a defective product. Toughen up and enforce your rights
Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Message 768 of 1132

2013-01-28, 2:07 AM

wrote:

So you taped also the red point? Wow, does it come with that much tape? o.o

I was searching for conductive tape, but they seem expensive. Is it made of aluminum? Also, since you've been retaping, it seems it hasn lost adhesion?

Wow, if it failed in two weeks, I could live with that, way better than failing in just 15 minutes indeed. What made you decide to try another taping location? Perfectionism?:smileyhappy:

Yup, if you angle it just right, it'll reach.  I don't know what it is made out of, have kind of a fabric feel to it but it still sticks very well.  I've also covered it with black electrical tape to insulate it from the rest of the components.  Don't know if it does anything but hey, it works so I'm not changing a thing!  :)  I really do think and hope that this is the end of my touchpad issues.  Right now it is working great.  I would hate to carry a mouse with me everywhere I go!   

The reason I had to tape to another location was because I opened it up after I fixed it the first time (when it was working fine for 2 wks) to take some pictures for the forum it started acting up again.  I was unable to fix the issue so I removed the tape completely as recommended by dah but that didn't work.  I can feel that there is an electrical charge?  or something built up around the touchpad area so I figure if it doesn't work one way, go the complete opposite.  So I decided to find a better grounding spot and give me a shot.  It's been working great since.  I'm not going to open this thing up again unless it starts acting up again!

Options

14 Posts

12-26-2012

New Jersey

10 Signins

106 Page Views

• Views: 106
  • Message 769 of 1132

2013-01-28, 3:37 AM

This same problem is happening on my y580. My touch pad never stops working but like once every time I use my laptop, usually right after I begin using it, the touchpad will just start jumping around and bugging out.

All I need to do is turn it off and wipe it and it will stop jumping around everywhere, but this is quite an annoying bug.

Options

1 Posts

01-28-2013

Chennai India

21 Signins

164 Page Views

• Views: 164
  • Message 770 of 1132

2013-01-28, 13:18 PM

is the problem solved by changing the touchpad???.... i have also complained 5 days before and they told it ll again take 4-5 days from now for part arriving.... should i wait for part replacement or should i get my laptop replaced.....

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete