Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

81 Posts

12-15-2012

New York, NY

190 Signins

1577 Page Views

• Views: 1577
  • Message 791 of 1132

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working

2013-01-29, 17:31 PM

Hello friends,

Well, after two months and two machines, I just got off the phone with post-sales, have my UPS label, my RMA number and am sending back the second machine for a full refund. I am so disappointed because there's a lot to love about the Y500, but the touchpad issue and the WiDi issue (that they advertised it when it in fact is not configurable) are both deal breakers for me.  There is improvement if you get the Synaptics touchpad, but lately I've noticed that it's starting to stick in two-finger vertical scroll and I feel like the machine itself is a ticking time bomb so I should return it while I have the chance.

I've been monitoring the Y580 threads and it looks like a more stable machine so I will probably go with that. If anyone has a suggestion for a comparable machine, even by a different manufacturer, please PM me if you don't mind. 

I wish everyone good luck with this!

Judy

Options

8 Posts

01-24-2013

Québec

29 Signins

256 Page Views

• Views: 256
  • Message 792 of 1132

2013-01-29, 17:53 PM

Question to our USA neighbours with a faulty unit: while you were waiting for your shipment, did you noticed by tracing it where it was sent from? Was it from inside your country or all the way from China?

Mine was sent from Shangai (I ordered from Canada on 01/13/13... and stil I'm waiting... thursday is the Y day!). I'm guessing maybe there's a big batch of bad apples sitting in USA and that's why you guys are still receiving those, while it doesn't seem to be the case up north... (excuse my english... je suis francophone!)

Options

34 Posts

12-29-2012

Hungary

90 Signins

1034 Page Views

• Views: 1034
  • Message 793 of 1132

2013-01-29, 18:05 PM

It's really telling that by now this is the most replied thread on the Ideapad subforum. Despite this the problem still doesn't seem to be resolved. Since Mark's last reply I've sent in my unit for repair. I had various debates with support (can't replicate the issue, my a*s) and now had my y500 at the repair center for about 20 days. Moreover the cutoff date posted by Mark seems to be incorrect as my machine was manufactured way beyond that point and still displayed the aforementioned behaviour.
However this shouldn't surprise me though as my message sent to NINE with my unit's data is still unread. Well, I only sent it a month ago as per his request, why expect him to bother, right?
EDIT:To put it differently: I PERSONALLY will surely make contact with some respectable websites in the notebook realm to make sure that our case doesn't go unnoticed.

Moderator note; comments edited which contravened the Forum Rules

Options

24 Posts

01-29-2013

Ontario

20 Signins

234 Page Views

• Views: 234
  • Message 794 of 1132

2013-01-29, 18:18 PM

Kind of figure it will happen, (getting the older built machine) I will more than likely do the same as you, thanks for the heads up. I guess I can only wait and find out when the machine gets here. Hope for the best, prepare for the worse!

Options

47 Posts

12-26-2012

Netherlands

324 Signins

1524 Page Views

• Views: 1524
  • Message 795 of 1132

2013-01-29, 18:52 PM

wrote:

guys if ur having the same problem..
this problem is mostly being seen in the y500 havin elan..
jst uninstall the elan driver and download a synaptics driver from 'synaptics.com'
i have done the same thing and i havent had the problem ever since

That means you have realy a Synaptics touchpad or a Elantech touchpad running standard Windows drivers. (the Synaptics drivers need the Synaptics hardware) Check your running drivers. This is 100% hardware failure, fail on Win7 and several Linux tastes.

Options

16 Posts

01-10-2013

Tel aviv

15 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 796 of 1132

2013-01-29, 18:52 PM

@MARK:

Why can't Lenovo take responsibility already? why can't you MAN up as a company and say, look guys we made a mistake, we sent out a BAD product. If you do that at least you would have some respect (Mistakes happen) but all you do is tell us to update drivers.....

1) Come out with a statement.

2) Stop sending out defected Laptops (with Elan touch-pad)

3) Give us easy options of Full rebate or New replacement (that is fixed)  With no hassle.

4) take responsibility and apologize!

I want to hear a reply and not after 2 weeks!

Options

13 Posts

01-24-2013

United States

59 Signins

208 Page Views

• Views: 208
  • Message 797 of 1132

2013-01-29, 19:01 PM

+1 to Tevie's comment.

I am sending my defective, faulty, broken, unsupported piece of crap Y500 from Lenovo back tomorrow. I've already purchased a nice replacement laptop from DELL and can't wait for this nightmare to end once and for all.. at least for me.

Now I'm just waiting for Lenovo to try to screw me again on the refund process.

Options

8 Posts

01-29-2013

USA

8 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 798 of 1132

2013-01-29, 19:37 PM

wrote:

Kind of figure it will happen, (getting the older built machine) I will more than likely do the same as you, thanks for the heads up. I guess I can only wait and find out when the machine gets here. Hope for the best, prepare for the worse!

I got a good deal on mine and my company reimbursed half of the purchase so I only ened up paying ~$475 for my Y500.  I bought it primarly to game on (not my primary PC) with a physical mouse so its not too much of a deal breaker for me.  If the trackpad ends up becoming super unusable I will go the n1smo route as I hate sending things in for repair.  Otherwise I will wait until some replacement touchpads hit the market and throw in a synaptics one down the road.  

wrote:

Question to our USA neighbours with a faulty unit: while you were waiting for your shipment, did you noticed by tracing it where it was sent from? Was it from inside your country or all the way from China?

Mine was sent from Shangai (I ordered from Canada on 01/13/13... and stil I'm waiting... thursday is the Y day!). I'm guessing maybe there's a big batch of bad apples sitting in USA and that's why you guys are still receiving those, while it doesn't seem to be the case up north... (excuse my english... je suis francophone!)

I live in the northeast US and mine shipped from Greensboro, NC, United States.  It was obviously a unit they had in inventory and not something recently built from china.  Yours will probably be a newly manufactured unit (hopefully).  I purchased on 1/21/13 and my machine has a build date of 11/25/2012.

Options

24 Posts

01-29-2013

Ontario

20 Signins

234 Page Views

• Views: 234
  • Message 799 of 1132

2013-01-29, 19:50 PM

Yeah, sounds like a good idea. Even if I do have the issues, I will probably do the same. I hate getting into hassle of returning things, moreso if it involves shipping back and forth, I'll end up living with it, figuring it out, or making it work. I have a couple of wireless mice available at home if it comes to that, sure it defeats the purpose, but if it gets me by for now... I'm only assuming mine will be newly-ish built, as it's status right now is "Released to Manufacturing" been that way for about 4 days now, after processing the order. with the estimated ship of Feb 2nd. (which has not been pushed back as of yet) -- There's still a glimmer of hope that it'll be fine, and have no issues. but, who knows. I'll work something out. Not cutting out of my order - Far too excited about ordering a new machine :D

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 800 of 1132

2013-01-29, 21:20 PM

brokenpad,

Thanks for sharing your update - it is very disappointing to hear and certainly not the level of support or ownership experience that we expect to provide.

I've been following up internally on this issue and based on your feedback we are re-screening our on hand inventory as this should not be still occuring.  It is possible that some previously built systems could still be in inventory of the channel (retail sales) but I was surprised to hear that you ordered from lenovo direct and received existing inventory.

All,

Additionally, I've seen updates on service parts in transit and believe that service should be ready to help address these symptoms for existing customers.  In the time I had this comment in draft from earlier this AM, a number of you have added on. 

Sputtid,

Could you share your system model, serial and build date via PM?  If you are after 11/28, we should take a look at this - given that all ( as far as I know) of the others that have had problems fell within the date range we explained previously, I still feel pretty confident in the guidance we provided.    It is always possible to have a randomly defective touchpad that could occur outside the range.  I look forward to your info. 

Thanks!

Mark

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms