01-16-2013

USA

281 Signins

851 Page Views

• Views: 851
  • Message 801 of 1132

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working

2013-01-29, 21:43 PM

lenovo offering any extended warrantee or return period to those affected?

You guys are still dodging the problem and not trying to make your customers wooed by lenovo.  I am planning on returning this since no warrantee extension or rebate or discounts are being offered to those who were knowingly affected.  (those who ordered laptops after 11/28/12). 

Options

4 Posts

01-17-2013

Sweden

6 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 802 of 1132

2013-01-29, 22:10 PM

Hello again all! Its been some time since my last update... I've been traveling in my job and have not had much time on my hands EXCEPT a few hours to wrestle with my new computer and its periodically lousy touchpad...

Anyway, here is my summary:

- recieved my computer monday 14th of january

- touchpad worked ok for a couple of days, then started to go completely crazy (as we all have experienced by now)

- found this thread and decided to follow nismos example, due to two reasons; hate sending stuff back and needed the computer for the trip I'm on now.

- first attempt was to isolate with tape, worked for 3 days or so, then back to crap-mode

- second attempt was removing the silver tape, worked for 5 minutes or so

- third, and possibly final (?), attemp is to again follow in nismos footsteps by moving the silver tape to reach ACTUAL METAL PARTS THAT CONDUCT ELECTRICITY. Dont know why I didnt realize it while opening up the well constructed and beautiful piece of hardware earlier... Have been working well for 3 days now (about 3 hours use each day).

I have only shortly been in touch with Lenovo's support here in Sweden to ask them how to handle my defective unit. They were unsure if I should send it to them or to the store where I actually bought the unit. I called the store and they immediately sent me a return slip. Havent used it yet but would prefer to handle the issue directly with Lenovo. Anyway, I have nothing negative to say about the support organization this far, as I havent pushed the issue.

MARK: its good that you are communicating with us! I want to point out that my unit is manufactured 12/12/01 according to the sticker under the battery. The serial number is CB19989850. Use this information! I have a degree in system-on-chip electronics and I like betting on sports. I would like to place a huge bet on that this fault is depending on either internal errors in ALL ELAN touchpads or incorrect grounding. What kind of odds can you give me on this? ;-)

Note: I dont want to make you guys (Lenovo) to look like a bunch of d-bags. Neither do I want you (Lenovo) to treat us customers as fakers or whiners. My goal is to make these defective units work again. If I can assist you in any way, please help me do so! 

Options

7 Posts

01-28-2013

USA

66 Signins

181 Page Views

• Views: 181
  • Message 803 of 1132

2013-01-29, 22:19 PM

Mark,

Are there any assurances that new orders placed with lenovo directly WILL NOT be receiving defective laptops yet?  (From the known bad batch, I understand that there may be individual faulty units that no one can predict)

My son's birthday came and went, and he had to face the disappointment of watching his birthday present get sent back to lenovo.  He really liked it, and would like to try again...but I *really* don't want to go through the hassle if it's going to be the exact same problem again...not to mention that you will likely lose a customer for life (and all of his friends are carefully monitoring the situation as well).

Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Views: 2161
  • Message 804 of 1132

2013-01-29, 23:20 PM

wrote:

brokenpad,

Thanks for sharing your update - it is very disappointing to hear and certainly not the level of support or ownership experience that we expect to provide.

I've been following up internally on this issue and based on your feedback we are re-screening our on hand inventory as this should not be still occuring.  It is possible that some previously built systems could still be in inventory of the channel (retail sales) but I was surprised to hear that you ordered from lenovo direct and received existing inventory.

All,

Additionally, I've seen updates on service parts in transit and believe that service should be ready to help address these symptoms for existing customers.  In the time I had this comment in draft from earlier this AM, a number of you have added on. 

Sputtid,

Could you share your system model, serial and build date via PM?  If you are after 11/28, we should take a look at this - given that all ( as far as I know) of the others that have had problems fell within the date range we explained previously, I still feel pretty confident in the guidance we provided.    It is always possible to have a randomly defective touchpad that could occur outside the range.  I look forward to your info. 

Thanks!

Mark

Mark,

Any chance you can send me the service part directly instead of me having to send the laptop to a service center?  I am a service member who just got sent overseas so kind of inconvenient for me to go through the entire debacle that is the service/ support department.  Thanks.

Johnny

Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Views: 2161
  • Message 805 of 1132

2013-01-29, 23:27 PM

wrote:

Hello again all! Its been some time since my last update... I've been traveling in my job and have not had much time on my hands EXCEPT a few hours to wrestle with my new computer and its periodically lousy touchpad...

Anyway, here is my summary:

- recieved my computer monday 14th of january

- touchpad worked ok for a couple of days, then started to go completely crazy (as we all have experienced by now)

- found this thread and decided to follow nismos example, due to two reasons; hate sending stuff back and needed the computer for the trip I'm on now.

- first attempt was to isolate with tape, worked for 3 days or so, then back to crap-mode

- second attempt was removing the silver tape, worked for 5 minutes or so

- third, and possibly final (?), attemp is to again follow in nismos footsteps by moving the silver tape to reach ACTUAL METAL PARTS THAT CONDUCT ELECTRICITY. Dont know why I didnt realize it while opening up the well constructed and beautiful piece of hardware earlier... Have been working well for 3 days now (about 3 hours use each day).

I have only shortly been in touch with Lenovo's support here in Sweden to ask them how to handle my defective unit. They were unsure if I should send it to them or to the store where I actually bought the unit. I called the store and they immediately sent me a return slip. Havent used it yet but would prefer to handle the issue directly with Lenovo. Anyway, I have nothing negative to say about the support organization this far, as I havent pushed the issue.

MARK: its good that you are communicating with us! I want to point out that my unit is manufactured 12/12/01 according to the sticker under the battery. The serial number is CB19989850. Use this information! I have a degree in system-on-chip electronics and I like betting on sports. I would like to place a huge bet on that this fault is depending on either internal errors in ALL ELAN touchpads or incorrect grounding. What kind of odds can you give me on this? ;-)

Note: I dont want to make you guys (Lenovo) to look like a bunch of d-bags. Neither do I want you (Lenovo) to treat us customers as fakers or whiners. My goal is to make these defective units work again. If I can assist you in any way, please help me do so! 

Nicely written, and I'm glad that the new grounding point is working for you too.  I've been trying to get it to fail for days now, like it has taken most of my free time.  It has passed my stress test so far with flying colors.  There were a few times when the touchpad felt like it was about to get a little too sensitive and I was thinking... oh boy... here we go... but it recovered itself nicely and I was able to have a sigh of relieve!  This is pretty fun actually now that the issue seems to be behind me.  I know this laptop inside and out, can take it apart and put it back together in world record times... LOL  I used to be a little computer geek when I was young, it's been a while but now I think I'm into computers again.. Thanks Lenovo ;-P  That is also why I can never buy an Apple, because subconsciously, I like flawed products, poor quality control, and piss poor support and that's just the hardware side... The Microsoft side of the house is laughable too... but it makes it fun!  

Options

9 Posts

01-30-2013

NJ USA

9 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 806 of 1132

2013-01-30, 2:45 AM
I just got my laptop on Monday. Right out of the box (which was already opened when it came to me, the seal stickers were ripped) and the laptop had smudges on it. Someone had handled it before me! The touchpad is 100% useless, it won't work at all it just has a seizure all over the screen. I have to turn it off and use a USB mouse.

I really like this laptop, I hope I can get a updated replacement, it is unacceptable that this even passed QC.
Options

1 Posts

01-30-2013

United States of America

2 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 807 of 1132

2013-01-30, 3:33 AM

Just got my replacement last night (after almost 3 weeks waiting for it), played with it for 30 minutes, and the dreaded trackpad issue happened again.  checked the mfg date: sure enough it's 11/25/2012, which is a day older (11/26/2012) than my original laptop that I received in December !!  Screen the inventory to make sure the affected laptops not sent out, huh?

This is ridiculous !!

Options

9 Posts

01-30-2013

NJ USA

9 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 808 of 1132

2013-01-30, 3:58 AM

How do you determine the manufacturer date?

Options

42 Posts

12-18-2012

Richardson

42 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 809 of 1132

2013-01-30, 4:39 AM

Just check the sitcker on the laptop, its in the slot that is holding the battery. In order to do this, you need to take it out from the laptop. The date is in a strange format, year/month/day i think.

Options

6 Posts

01-10-2013

los angeles

47 Signins

293 Page Views

• Views: 293
  • Message 810 of 1132

2013-01-30, 9:53 AM

I received my replacement Y500 on 1/10/12 and have been carefully monitoring the laptop and purposely using the touchpad to see if any problem occurs.  My first Y500 was manufactured 11/23/12 and came with bios 1.03 and elan touchpad.  My replacement was manufactured 12/27/12 and came with bios 1.05 and synaptics touchpad.  It has been working flawlessly and I am sorry to hear of the people that are still receiving older versions.  I am just hoping no problems arises in the future.  I will update once again if there is any problems.  Good luck to everyone who are waiting for their replacements and hope to receive the newer bios with synaptic touchpad.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms