Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

01-17-2013

Netherlands

8 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 841 of 1132

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working

2013-02-01, 9:11 AM

wrote:

I bought it at BCC in Nederlands, I spoke with Lenovo support by phone and the guy of Lenovo had no idea of this problem .. like if it was the first time he hears this problem even i mentioned that in Lenovo forum was formally his company anouncing the problem but he had no idea... 

so he gave me a boucher for sending the laptop back to them for repairing in 10 working max days , my laptop is suposed to be fixed.... i hope they will really do! ;  

Medion is the company in Nederland who is supose to repair this problem, they sent me an email of receiving my laptop.

I also live in the Netherlands, but I bought my computer via the lenovo webshop. Medion is the company who fulfill the order, so the procedure for repairing was the same (they told me it was a maximum of 15 days, not 10). Around 2 weeks after I sent it, it arrive at my place yesterday, with a new touchpad. I still did not have much time to play around with it, to verify if I still have problems, but it seems ok.

One complaint I have is that the did *not* install the drivers for the new touchpad, so it seems they did not actually test the laptop themselves. Before I went to lenovo website to download the new driver, none of the multi-touch features worked.

Options

6 Posts

01-06-2013

NJ, USA

7 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 842 of 1132

2013-02-01, 21:02 PM

Update:  As expected, the second Y500 they sent me broke almost right away, seeing how it was built on the 20th of November, same as the first one they sent.

(See my previous post here :Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working)

Support was fairly accomodating.  They asked me, at first, to simply return the laptop for a refund and order another, because it would be a while before they could ship another Y500. (ship date for a new Y500 is currently Feb 16 or later)  I declined, because this would mean going without a laptop.  I rarely use the touchpad so I told her that I knew there would be a wait, but I'd rather just be on the list and use the one I have until they can ship another one out.  They agreed to this.

It's been only a day and I've already received a new order number and return label.  Much faster than last time.  I'll update again whenever I get tracking for the new machine.  Otherwise, I'm very happy with this computer and I'm willing to forgive all this once I finally have a Synaptic-equipped machine I can keep!

Options

15 Posts

01-22-2013

New Jersey

14 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 843 of 1132

2013-02-01, 23:55 PM

I am looking to purchase this laptop, but am concerned that they are still shipping defective laptops. I am also concerned that they will ship out a refurbished laptop that has been returned with these very issues. Have there been any confirmations from Lenovo that the laptops being shipped today are defect-free? If not, how long do you guys think it will take the dust to settle and it will be safe to purchase one of these laptops? Thanks

Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Views: 2161
  • Message 844 of 1132

2013-02-02, 0:38 AM

Saw this photo of a disassembled Y580 and noticed the touchpad area.  The Y500 does not come with that copper colored reflective tape that covers the entire length of the touchpad plus more.  Mark, is this the service part you are referring to?  If so, please send one my way!

Options

42 Posts

12-18-2012

Richardson

42 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 845 of 1132

2013-02-02, 1:55 AM

Yo n1smo, actually I cant see the link yet due to admin activation, but I have a question, do you think that the "copper" tape is the solution? If so, I know where to get some :smileytongue:. Also, have you had more problems with the touchpad? -Just wondering why are you so willing to take the service now. (Actually haven't tried your solution yet, I had a pretty tight schedule recently)

Strange, how come that they are waiting for replacements for touchpads when the solution is something so simple as copper tape? Perhaps faulty units were fixed and reselling them once again, if so, I fear that Mark won't answer your/my question (marketing stuff I guess, I hope not)

Mark or Lenovo Staff: please, tell us, will using copper tape (as previously stated by n1smo)  solve this problem? :) Thanks in advance.

Options

67 Posts

12-06-2012

Seoul, Korea

439 Signins

2161 Page Views

• Views: 2161
  • Message 846 of 1132

2013-02-02, 7:02 AM

wrote:

Yo n1smo, actually I cant see the link yet due to admin activation, but I have a question, do you think that the "copper" tape is the solution? If so, I know where to get some :smileytongue:. Also, have you had more problems with the touchpad? -Just wondering why are you so willing to take the service now. (Actually haven't tried your solution yet, I had a pretty tight schedule recently)

Strange, how come that they are waiting for replacements for touchpads when the solution is something so simple as copper tape? Perhaps faulty units were fixed and reselling them once again, if so, I fear that Mark won't answer your/my question (marketing stuff I guess, I hope not)

Mark or Lenovo Staff: please, tell us, will using copper tape (as previously stated by n1smo)  solve this problem? :) Thanks in advance.

I uploaded the picture to my photobucket account for your viewing pleasure. ;)

Just an update on my touchpad since I've move the grounding point.  It is freaking perfect.  The touchpad is so smooth.  The only issue now is the keyboard where it still throws a few extra characters here and there but it is only on the numpad and the severity of the condition has been reduced significantly to where it is really a non-issue however it bothers me knowing it is still there.  I wonder if this insulation found on the Y580 prevents the keyboard issue.  

Options

42 Posts

12-18-2012

Richardson

42 Signins

260 Page Views

• Views: 260
  • Message 847 of 1132

2013-02-02, 14:13 PM

Sir, thanks for all your posts at the forums!:smileyhappy: You deserve a cookie! I appreciate it!

I could try tapping with some copper, lets see if that works (altough, Ill try to use much less then the one shown on the pic o.o).

I forgot about your situation with the keyboard, I'll try to photograph my lap after taping it, to see if it hels (as i'm not having any problem with it as today).

Options

85 Posts

12-27-2012

Virginia

96 Signins

1476 Page Views

• Views: 1476
  • Message 848 of 1132

2013-02-02, 17:42 PM

Judy and others

i received my replacement y580 on Tuesday before my surgery on Wednesday. I had time to compare the two systems and the difference is amazin. Much smoother touchpad (Synaptics), the pad is like glass, nicer finishing touches (silver edging around touchpad, speakers, buttons), surprisingly smaller footprint and i love the build of the y580. the y500 COULD be a good system if it had a little more attention to the details. i think its a shade quicker than the y580 but i have working WiDi and touchpad works great. i feel like it was money well spen--about $50 to get this one (had Blue ray instead of regular DVD). I'm more impressed with the Lenovo build of this system. I hope that Lenovo gets the kinks worked out on the y500. It could be a great system. I'm prepping my old defective y500 this weekend for shipping back from my return request of 1/9, so hoping that goes ok. So far so good. I'm just really happy to have a working TOUCHPAD and complete mobility. After surgery, I had to have that.

Options

81 Posts

12-15-2012

New York, NY

190 Signins

1577 Page Views

• Views: 1577
  • Message 849 of 1132

2013-02-02, 18:36 PM

Thanks for posting this DeelyBop. I (and I am sure all your friends here) hope all goes well with your operation and wish you a speedy recovery!

Options

2 Posts

02-02-2013

Hoboken

5 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 850 of 1132

2013-02-02, 20:48 PM

I received my Y500 yesterday(2/1/13), and unfortunately, I encountered the touchpad problem, as well as the keyboard problem, I heard that the USB 2.0 port has a conflict with the keyboard, so maybe disable that usb port in bios will do sth. But the touchpad really made me disappointed, it cannot work at all, the cursor was hovering all the time. 

Well, I think I received a defective y500, plan to get a replacement on Monday becasue I really like it. Now I wondering what to do if the replacement still has the same touchpad problem.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)