Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

23 Posts

01-11-2013

Twin Cities, MN

137 Signins

741 Page Views

• Views: 741
  • Message 961 of 1132

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y500 Touchpad Not Working

2013-02-14, 19:15 PM

Lenovo does not care. They are celebrating their CES success and record profits.  We ,the consumer of their product don't even fit in to their equation. We just consume...It doesn't matter if we send it back.  It doesn't matter if we complain. 

06 Jan 201305:10 PMYour PC has not reached the depot service center yet.
09 Jan 201310:57 PMYour PC has been received by the depot service center
11 Jan 201301:11 PMYour PC has been received by the depot service center and it is currently being repaired
11 Jan 201304:45 PMYour PC is currently on hold due to a service parts shortage. Please check back periodically for further updates
19 Jan 201310:45 AMYour PC has been received by the depot service center and it is currently being repaired
24 Jan 201311:36 AMYour PC has been repaired and is being checked for repair quality. It will be shipped shortly
24 Jan 201304:26 PMYour PC has been received by the depot service center and it is currently being repaired
24 Jan 201309:42 PMYour PC is currently on hold due to a service parts shortage. Please check back periodically for further updates
31 Jan 201311:40 PMYour PC has been received by the depot service center and it is currently being repaired
01 Feb 201309:59 PMYour PC has been repaired and is being checked for repair quality. It will be shipped shortly
01 Feb 201309:59 PMYour PC has been received by the depot service center and it is currently being repaired

They contract repairs out and have no control of the product.  It's not Lenovo's fault. It's OUR fault for getting into bed with them in the first place. That's the message I'm getting.

Options

1 Posts

02-14-2013

Nederland

5 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 962 of 1132

2013-02-14, 19:19 PM

I bought the laptop end of january. Out of the box I experienced issues with the touchpad.

I read about the issues in this forum and consulted the store I bought it from. The advised me to contact Lenovo support, so I did and explained the situation, mentioning this forum post.. They sent me an e-mail with a label to send the laptop to Lenovo (free of charge).

Two week later (today) I received the laptop. They replaced the touchpad (it's now Synaptics and not Elan) and it works fine now.

A little inconvenient, but I'm happy now.

BTW, I live in The Netherlands.

Options

11 Posts

01-26-2013

AZ, USA

44 Signins

432 Page Views

• Views: 432
  • Message 963 of 1132

2013-02-14, 20:57 PM
I received my call from the Customer Advocate that was promised today and they decided to send a replacement laptop instead of repairing the one I sent in that I purchased with the next eight days (the warranty will be reset with the shipping with the new one). I was also given the option of a refund of my initial purchase. I'm having a hard time not taking the refund as I have no guarantee that the replacement laptop (which is the same model type) won't have the same issue again. I was told, "there is not 'return' option" with the new laptop and if I have an issue with the new one I'd have to go through the whole process again. I don't want to go through this whole mess again.
Options

23 Posts

01-11-2013

Twin Cities, MN

137 Signins

741 Page Views

• Views: 741
  • Message 964 of 1132

2013-02-14, 21:53 PM

Just received a call from a Lenovo rep from USA.  Wow that was nice.  It takes so little to make me happy. He said he will track down my repair or send a new Y500 out.  I'm to hear from him by noon tomorrow. It's about three weeks late, but I'll take what I can get.

Options

4 Posts

02-14-2013

United States

7 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 965 of 1132

2013-02-15, 1:58 AM

Glad that you MAY finally get in touch with someone that MAY be able to help you. I have a similar (but shorter) summary from the repair status website:

Capture.JPG

Options

1 Posts

02-10-2013

Madison, WI

2 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 966 of 1132

2013-02-15, 2:19 AM

I seem to be running into this problem as well. I have an IdeaPad U510, manufactured on 11/23/2012 (right in the problem timeframe). Sometimes the touchpad freaks out for a little bit, sometimes it freaks out and won't stop, sometimes it just stops., sometimes it just stops working.

I called Lenovo support about a week ago, but they couldn't do anything because I installed Ubuntu on my machine. I can't seem to recover to Windows; using the Novo button and selecting system restore just boots the machine. I really don't want to go through the pain of installing another operating system just for the point of going through the support line.

I otherwise really like the computer, but this makes it unusable and it's getting incredibly frustrating.

Options

3 Posts

01-31-2013

Netherlands

11 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 967 of 1132

2013-02-15, 12:11 PM

Hi guys, 

Here an update, today arrived my Laptop lenovo y500 with the touchpad problem fixed, indeed comes with synaptics clickpad v1.1 on smb port as a device.

I had to install again the drivers of the mouse for full features because it was working only with basic windows so it seems they dont control that important detail.

So far is working... it came all the way from Germany and it seems is gonna do ok..

Good luck to everybody who is still having this horrible problem and still have to deal with waiting and loosing time..

Greetings 

Enrique

Options

2 Posts

02-13-2013

USA

11 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 968 of 1132

2013-02-15, 14:08 PM

Hi guys, 

Here an update, today arrived my Laptop lenovo y500 with the touchpad problem fixed, indeed comes with synaptics clickpad v1.1 on smb port as a device.

I had to install again the drivers of the mouse for full features because it was working only with basic windows so it seems they dont control that important detail.

So far is working... it came all the way from Germany and it seems is gonna do ok..

Good luck to everybody who is still having this horrible problem and still have to deal with waiting and loosing time..

Greetings 

Enrique

Comforting to hear, but as someone contemplating getting the Y500 from newegg, it brings me to wonder whether we can only hope to get a better chance of a good touchpad only if we send it in for service. None of this would be a problem if Lenovo were to do a mass recall and introduce better QC. Seriously--it's not that hard to design a QC manual and train your employees to test each unit for a few minutes. 

Options

34 Posts

12-29-2012

Hungary

90 Signins

1034 Page Views

• Views: 1034
  • Message 969 of 1132

2013-02-15, 15:45 PM

Some interesting tidbit:

I was told by the Polish Service Center that my notebook can't be repaired as I have a password set on my BIOS, which was positively incredible as I didn't even open my BIOS once. I was told that in order for me to access my own **bleep** BIOS I needed my motherboard to be replaced on my account as warranty doesn't cover this. Yeah, thanks no. At least I managed to persuade them to try and repair my machine.
Well guess what! The notebook came back (unrepaired, mind you, as they couldn't recreate the insanely annoying and obvious touchpad problem) and IT DIDN'T HAVE A BIOS PASSWORD. (they also decorated my lid with a nice set of huge scratches free of charge - let me send my heartiest gratitude by the means of this message)
I thought there was some misunderstanding and this was a one off.
Not really. Just got in touch with another Hungarian owner who also had to put up with a faulty laptop and subpar service. HE HAD THE EXACT SAME SCENARIO.
At this point, between a faulty notebook, the unability to recreate a painfully obvious defect and the blatant fraud of the service center I'm about as dissatisfied with Lenovo as it's humanly possible.

Options

8 Posts

01-09-2013

Bulgaria

47 Signins

409 Page Views

• Views: 409
  • Message 970 of 1132

2013-02-15, 16:59 PM

Sputtid,

You just got me scared. I saw your post 5 minutes after I got the service order for repairing my touchpad. I'm from Bulgaria and they told me that my laptop will be send to Poland for repair. 

I bought my laptop before new year and since then I'm waiting that problem to be solved. 

I have the keyboard issue too (I don't know if it is related)

It was a weird phone call as they wanted me to give them access to my laptop just to check if the issue is true. I couldn't understand why since it is well known issue.

Anyway they strictly mentioned to remove all my passwords if I have any - BIOS, HDD, Windows. Well I have formatted the HDD since I bought the laptop without OS. Now I'm wondering should I install some OS before sending it for repair. If they said that you have a password, maybe next will be - "You don't have OS and it can't be tested and repaired".  If I install Ubuntu they can say there are no drivers for that and that is why it is not working. 

I'll double check for passwords on BIOS and HDD, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that formatting HDD will not be a problem. I hope that Lenovo will leave me more satisfied with the repair then with their Online Support. If I'm not that will be my last purchase from Lenovo.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms