Options

2 Posts

12-28-2016

United States of America

1 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 2

Lenovo Y50-70 win10: Won't restart or shut down / "Plugged in, not charging" / High temperatures

2016-12-28, 14:27 PM

Hi everyone.

First of all, thank you very much for reading and trying to help me. I have read DOZENS of topics with similar issue, and tried SEVERAL different solutions, but couldn't get my issues fixed. So that's the reason for the topic :(

SUMMARY:

- Lenovo Y50-70 i5 GTX860m, Windows10 

- Battery doesn't work ("plugged in, not charging" even though it's "fully charged"). But few days ago it worked for a while after I reconnected it, after months without using it because I had given up. But now it stopped working again.

- Another issue is that temperatures are getting very high (CPU / GPU above 80-85c when gaming for example), even though I'm not sure this is connected to the battery issue.

- For both "battery issue" and "temperature issue", a lot of solutions seem to be connected to Lenovo Energy Manager. But this software is totally bugged at the moment: it won't OPEN, it won't UNNINSTAL, it doesn't even respond to "end task". 

STORYLINE:

0) I have this laptop for about 2.5 years now, and it used to worked well. It came with Windows8, and at some point I upgraded it to Windows10 - and didn't notice any major problems with it.

1) Few months ago I opened my laptop to clean some of the dust / coolers, etc. I did not TOUCH the battery. But it APPEARS to me that it was from that moment on that the battery "stopped working". It started saying "plugged in / not charging", and it will shut down if I pull out the plug. The notebook also won't turn on if it's not plugged. So basically the battery is there, it's being recognized, but it's useless. PLUS, the notebook stopped RESTARTING / SHUTTING DOWN by its own. The screen goes dark, but I have to hold POWER button to shut it down.

2) After trying MANY of the suggested solutions for this issue (checking Lenovo Energy Manager settings, removing the battery, pressing power button for X seconds, doing this process Y times, etc etc) I basically gave up. I didn't have time to solve this issue so I removed the battery and started using the laptop plugged-only.

3) A few weeks ago I started noticing that the laptop was getting very hot again, and the Framerate was suffering while gaming. At first I supposed it was a different problem (I still don't know if it is), so once again I opened the laptop, but this time to replace the thermal paste (although it didn't help much). And just out of CURIOSITY, I re-plugged the battery which was in my drawer for months. And it WORKED! The battery was working, I could even remove the plug and it wouldn't turn off. Buuuut... now it's back to the same problem. To be honest, I'm not sure if it simply stopped working after some reboots, or if it was AFTER I tried to unninstal / re-install Lenovo Energy Manager - this time to check settings because of high temperatures, and because I've read that Energy Manager doesn't work well for Windows 10.

4) So basically now I have this battery that doesn't work properly, and I still have the temperature issue. And for both problems a lot of people say that the Energy Manager can be the key, but now I cannot even OPEN or UNNINSTALL it. If I try to open it, nothing happens. If I try to remove it, the unninstal window show up, but suddenly it "minimizes" and won't come back. 

I appreciate any kind of help, and I can obviously submit any more kind of information (screenshots, diagnosys, etc.).

Best regards

Options

919 Posts

07-05-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1521 Signins

5917 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 5917
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo Y50-70 win10: Won't restart or shut down / "Plugged in, not charging" / High te

2016-12-29, 15:56 PM

wrote:

Hi everyone.

First of all, thank you very much for reading and trying to help me. I have read DOZENS of topics with similar issue, and tried SEVERAL different solutions, but couldn't get my issues fixed. So that's the reason for the topic :(

SUMMARY:

- Lenovo Y50-70 i5 GTX860m, Windows10 

- Battery doesn't work ("plugged in, not charging" even though it's "fully charged"). But few days ago it worked for a while after I reconnected it, after months without using it because I had given up. But now it stopped working again.

- Another issue is that temperatures are getting very high (CPU / GPU above 80-85c when gaming for example), even though I'm not sure this is connected to the battery issue.

- For both "battery issue" and "temperature issue", a lot of solutions seem to be connected to Lenovo Energy Manager. But this software is totally bugged at the moment: it won't OPEN, it won't UNNINSTAL, it doesn't even respond to "end task". 

STORYLINE:

0) I have this laptop for about 2.5 years now, and it used to worked well. It came with Windows8, and at some point I upgraded it to Windows10 - and didn't notice any major problems with it.

1) Few months ago I opened my laptop to clean some of the dust / coolers, etc. I did not TOUCH the battery. But it APPEARS to me that it was from that moment on that the battery "stopped working". It started saying "plugged in / not charging", and it will shut down if I pull out the plug. The notebook also won't turn on if it's not plugged. So basically the battery is there, it's being recognized, but it's useless. PLUS, the notebook stopped RESTARTING / SHUTTING DOWN by its own. The screen goes dark, but I have to hold POWER button to shut it down.

2) After trying MANY of the suggested solutions for this issue (checking Lenovo Energy Manager settings, removing the battery, pressing power button for X seconds, doing this process Y times, etc etc) I basically gave up. I didn't have time to solve this issue so I removed the battery and started using the laptop plugged-only.

3) A few weeks ago I started noticing that the laptop was getting very hot again, and the Framerate was suffering while gaming. At first I supposed it was a different problem (I still don't know if it is), so once again I opened the laptop, but this time to replace the thermal paste (although it didn't help much). And just out of CURIOSITY, I re-plugged the battery which was in my drawer for months. And it WORKED! The battery was working, I could even remove the plug and it wouldn't turn off. Buuuut... now it's back to the same problem. To be honest, I'm not sure if it simply stopped working after some reboots, or if it was AFTER I tried to unninstal / re-install Lenovo Energy Manager - this time to check settings because of high temperatures, and because I've read that Energy Manager doesn't work well for Windows 10.

4) So basically now I have this battery that doesn't work properly, and I still have the temperature issue. And for both problems a lot of people say that the Energy Manager can be the key, but now I cannot even OPEN or UNNINSTALL it. If I try to open it, nothing happens. If I try to remove it, the unninstal window show up, but suddenly it "minimizes" and won't come back. 

I appreciate any kind of help, and I can obviously submit any more kind of information (screenshots, diagnosys, etc.).

Best regards

Hi flavioeiras,

Have you tried using a program to force the uninstall of the energy manager? I.e Revo cleaner. (not recommended but could help)

Hope this help you and let us know how you get on

=====================================================================================
Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms