Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

03-14-2014

Chicago

4 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 1 of 23

Lenovo Y510P - Crackling Sound

2014-03-14, 15:21 PM

Hi everyone,

My computer (the Lenovo Y510P) started acting up the first day I bought it. It runs smoothly and everything, but the speakers seem to crackle and pop whenever I play music or games (even at a low volume). I've been seeing that many Lenovo Y510P users have been having this same issue and can assume that the problem is a hardware issue because:

1) Installing different versions of sound drivers AND even downloading the recommended sound drivers from Lenovo DOES NOT WORK.

2) Changing the power options DOES NOT WORK.

3) Plugged in headphones and even bluetooth can hear the static.

If anyone (more specifically, the Lenovo Tech Support) has a fix for this hardware issue, please let me know. I'm thinking about returning this laptop since this is the 3rd day of having it. If there's no fix for this defect, I'm returning it before the 7th day.

Thanks everyone!

Answer
Options

5 Posts

04-18-2013

44 Signins

257 Page Views

Re: Lenovo Y510P - Crackling Sound

2014-03-16, 20:17 PM

I found a solution that works for me... so far.

1) Uninstall Lenovo's Energy Management program.

2) Create a new power plan and name it whatever you want.

3) Navigate: "Edit Plan Settings" > "Change Advance Power Settings."

4) Click on the plus sign next to the dropdown title "Processor Power Management."

5) Click on the plus sign next to the dropdown title "Maximum processor state."

6) Change the value of "Plugged in:" from 100 to 95.

Never received any crackling/popping sounds yet, so I hope this works for the rest of the laptop's lifetime. See if this works for you... unfortunately, my uncle's laptop (Y510P) was defective and he ended up refunding it.

Edit:

I just realized that my computer was switching between "dongbae" and "dongbae2," those were the two accounts that I created on Lenovo (because I forgot the first one's password), and my computer has those two accounts' credentials memorized and auto-signs onto this forum whenever I go into it. :/

Replies(22)
Options

11 Posts

03-07-2014

Brazil

13 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 2 of 23

2014-03-14, 18:43 PM

Hi, I'm having the exactly same issue with a brand new Y410p.

I gave up on trying to fix this. Even in the laptop BIOS the problem happens.

I'm returning it to Amazon.com for a refund.

A video from my notebook on 1% volume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVLk79LLdX4

Options

5 Posts

04-18-2013

44 Signins

257 Page Views

• Message 3 of 23

2014-03-14, 20:36 PM

I'm sending mine back for a refund, too if Lenovo Tech Support doesn't fix it. Kind of sad how such a great laptop has to have such horrible issues with its speakers. Try their warranty first... and if that doesn't fix the problem, refund it. The Best Buy here allows a return within 14 days of purchase if the product is defected; there's no stocking fee either unless you pass that 14 days.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 4 of 23

2014-03-14, 21:59 PM

Hmm,

You could first try to uninstall / reinstall / Update the audio driver...

I might also suggest checking with headphones to see if the sound operates normally with headphones.  If not, then it is likely the driver, or the audio chip (but more likely the drivers).

If it works fine with headphones, but not speakers, then maybe there is a pinched wire shorting out the speakers.

In that case, I would contact service - they should be able to fix it and would be able to identify what the problem turned out to be.  If it is just one or two random cases, then perhaps exchange makes sense.     If we wind up with more reports of this, then rather than losing these units back into returns, it will help if we can work with you and see one of these examples in order to understand the problem and fix it.

I also note that several people in this conversation have very similar screen names?  Is that just a happy coincidence?  

Mark

Options

11 Posts

03-07-2014

Brazil

13 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 5 of 23

2014-03-14, 22:16 PM

I've tried everything I could with drivers. Realtek ones and default windows ones. Problem persists.

I've tried with headphones. Problem persists.

I've turned on the laptop in the BIOS bluescreen. Problem persists = Problem is not with the OS.

My only work around was muting in Windows, uninstalling drivers (and consequently not using the sound system) and/or using external soundcards (usb ones, bluetooth speakers).

Since I bought the notebook in the US, through Amazon.com, and now I'm living in Brazil, local support/warranty/assistance is out of the question. I've already called Brazilian Lenovo and they told me they can't do anything since they don't have Y410Ps here.

That's a shame to see an International brand as Lenovo denying customer support just because he is in another country. Just as an example, Apple doesn't do that.

Brazilian Lenovo should get my notebook and try to arrange something with US Lenovo. Not leave this deffective 1 week old computer on my hands and tell me to deal with it.

The only thing that I think I'm capable of doing right now is sending the laptop back to Amazon.com and waiting for my refund.

Sadly I was enjoying the laptop.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 6 of 23

2014-03-14, 22:34 PM

I understand your point about global service.

I think a difference to keep in mind is that we have hundreds of different models of systems - some are WW, some are country or regional variants.

Apple has relatively few models in comparions, so part logistics are very different.  For us to service all machines in all countries, we would have to plan, forecast, and stock all parts everywhere.  It would be almost impossible to forecast part use in a country in which you never sold the product and will have no way to know how many people might buy one and take it there.  We could wind up with large amounts of unused inventory and costs associated with customs moving all those parts around.   So,  we generally service the models sold in that particular country. 

However, Many models can be serviced in many different countries.  Here is a link to our international warranty page.  

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-service/iws.page?

This can be a helpful resource for customers to understand in advance, where the system they are buying can be serviced.

In your case, I'm not sure what to advise.  

You could try to back up your data and do a system reset to factory state and recheck - update all drivers then from Lenovo support site to ensure latest version.  Might fix your problem if something in the software is corrupted.

Else, if it is hardware, you may need to return back through your point of purchase rather than staying with a system that you can't get serviced in the country you have taken it to.

Mark

Options

13866 Posts

12-07-2009

Czech Republic

9007 Signins

170449 Page Views

• Views: 170449
  • Message 7 of 23

2014-03-15, 0:33 AM
hey guys,

can you please take a look at the thread below and check if the suggestion works for you?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/577494-lenovo-y470-y570-official-owners-thread-125.html#post7833667

Due to my absence, I may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Options

5 Posts

03-14-2014

Chicago

4 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 8 of 23

2014-03-15, 1:59 AM

Nope, the suggestions in that forum doesn't work. Tried changing the output from "headphones" to "line out" doesn't work. I can still hear the crackling via the laptop speakers and via the headphones when plugged in.

:/

Options

5 Posts

03-14-2014

Chicago

4 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 9 of 23

2014-03-15, 2:15 AM

Edit: Here's what it sounds like for me (not my video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlTUN4SIs6g

Options

13866 Posts

12-07-2009

Czech Republic

9007 Signins

170449 Page Views

• Views: 170449
  • Message 10 of 23

2014-03-15, 10:24 AM
one last suggestion to fix the issue: try to un-install sound drivers, restart your computer and let windows install the drivers automatically.

if, even after that, issue persists, i believe it's hardware issue, possible connector, speaker or maybe mainboard issue therefor at this point i only suggest you to ship the laptop service for possible replacement.

Due to my absence, I may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)