07-07-2015

India

12 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 131 of 476

Re: Lenovo Z510 Battery Issues

2015-07-07, 9:21 AM

I too have the same problem. Mine started a month ago and I even updated my energy manager. But the problem stayed. I read it somewhere that it is a bios problem. And now it has started showing weak battery and not charging at all.

I suspect that my battery is either completly charged, which the energy manager has set as 0 %. Or this problem has really destroyed my battery by repeatedly charging and discharging it irregularly.

I want some solution to this as if i go to service center, they wilI definitely will try to loot me by claiming that the battery is dead and force me to buy a new one. It is problem caused by Lenovo's software so it should be solved by them too why should a customer suffer for their irresponsiblity.

Options

2 Posts

07-10-2015

Hyderabad

4 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 132 of 476

Re: Z510 Battery Issue. Not showing actual charge of battery and doesn't warn when battery low

2015-07-10, 6:34 AM

Same problem with my Lenovo Ideapad Z510, please suggest if you have any solution for this... thank you

Options

21 Posts

06-05-2015

united states

32 Signins

256 Page Views

• Views: 256
  • Message 133 of 476

Re: Z510 Battery Issue. Not showing actual charge of battery and doesn't warn when battery low

2015-07-11, 6:37 AM

I'm having a problm typing in word or google.  It occasionally randomly jumps to a different tab or opens the left swipe  start.  it randomly jumps to different areas in the text.   and sometimes the screen just goes all white. Samethig using Google gmail. 

I am using a .YF 50-70 with reflashed updated bios. And reinstalled touchpad driver. I have adjused the single and double clicks.  I am running 8.1 Windows.

Options

10 Posts

07-11-2015

IN

10 Signins

116 Page Views

• Views: 116
  • Message 134 of 476

2015-07-11, 12:57 PM

I have a partial solution. (I think)

I started facing the same issue on my Lenovo Ideapad Z510. I purchased it in March 2014. The problem started after a Windows (win 8.1) update. I wish I knew which one. My laptop suddenly shutdown and when restarted the battery was 0%. It went from 100% to 0% just ike that. I put it on charge and it went all the way to 30% and then directly to 100%. I did everything mentioned earlier, downloaded Energy Manager, and reinstalled it, uninstalled Microsoft ACPI  compliant something something for battery under device manager, but nothing, Guage reset, changed power plans, blah blah. It wouldn't charge properly... and would crash on battery mode. It started say charging for the first few minutes but the charge indicator wouldn't move (normally, there is an animation showing the charge going up and down, but this would remain constant on 3%), and it would then suddenly jump to 100% and say charged.

Then I decided to leave it to charge after powering it off. It seemed to have worked, but then after 30-40 mins on battery, the same issue.

Somebody mentioned earlier to use the RESET key and that's what worked for me.

So, I shutdown my computer, kept it on charge and hit the RESET key. Got the MENU but did nothing and left it there and took out the power cable. It worked. My laptop didn't die. Then after 10 mins, I selected 'Start Normally' in that menu and left my laptop on battery (without the power cable connected). It's been on for about 3 hours now.

Here's the funny thing. The battery indicator in the system tray as no option selected. Normally, it is on Balanced or Power Save or something. (see the screenshot 1) Nothing is selected. When it booted it said Battery 100% and 30 mins remaining. But now having been on for about 3 hours, it says 96% 30 mins remaining (low brightness, so it's managed to stay on). It went up to 32 mins as I am writing this post. (screenshot 2).

So, I'm quite sure there is some software defect/bug. My hardware seems fine. I will now try a few things, like uninstall any battery management software, a windows update or try Ubunutu ( I dual booted it ) or something, but won't give to the service center just yet. (I have extended warranty but not sure if they will cover it.) I am pretty sure it's a software issue. So wil experiment and post here.

Do try this Reset key method and post your observations.

Karan

Screenshot 1

Click here to view second image. 

Mod's Edit: Image converted to a link due to size.  Photos are limited to 100k size per forum guidelines.                      

Please refer to About Posting Pictures for more information.

Options

10 Posts

07-11-2015

IN

10 Signins

116 Page Views

• Message 135 of 476

2015-07-12, 5:41 AM

I think we have a solution to the problem now. Getting close.

I forgot to mention that everytime I booted my computer the battery would be 0%. Today for the first time it was what it was before shutdown. After the reset key method, I updated my BIOS to the latest version 8DCN40WW (v40). Mine was v38. (After the update my laptop woudn't boot and kept going into One Key Recovery. But this was because I had dual booted it and that required Secure Boot to be turned off. When I turned it off in the BIOS, it booted successfully and normally.)

And now my battery issue seems to be solved. Although it keeps saying Battery is Weak after boot and to buy it, it finally showed  charging above 70%. After the Rest Key method It charged all the way to 100% (normally after 30% it would just jump to 100%). I booted my computer today morning on battery mode and it is on 100% (what it was yesterday) and not 0%. However, the battery indicator in the system tray is NOT showing how much time is left. So there is still some bug somewhere. But I'm somewhat sure that the battery is fine. Try these methods before buying a new one or sending your laptop to the service center.

My laptop is incorrectly (intentionally or unintentionally) trying to show that the battery is weak and to purchase a new one and something has triggered this event.

Lenovo needs to provide some firmware update to solve this. (Oh, and now it's showing 23 mins are left at 100%, same funny stuff like yesterday, but it stays on for 3 hours, (see screenshots in previous post) )

Karan

Options

11 Posts

07-05-2015

Philippines

27 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 136 of 476

2015-07-12, 5:54 AM

Hi Karan,

Have you tried draining the battery to see if you are getting the low battery notification?

Options

11 Posts

07-07-2015

India

12 Signins

78 Page Views

• Message 137 of 476

2015-07-12, 8:32 AM

Hi Karan,
Your suggestion works.
I plugged my laptop and hit reset key to go to BIOS. Then I unplugged power cable and let it stay on battery for half an hour, although orange light for low battery kept blinking but it doesn't matter.
Then I exited BIOS and it started windows normally.
The energy manager still is malfunctioning as it is at constant 0% with weak battery sign and orange led is blinking. But it is holding on battery normally for more half an hour since starting windows. This definitely shows that battery is fine.
I don't know what will happen when I start laptop again. I think I will let it drain completely this time. I won't go for bios update as I have to apply for warranty extention. Will I face problem in getting an extention due to this problem? 

Options

10 Posts

07-11-2015

IN

10 Signins

116 Page Views

• Message 138 of 476

2015-07-12, 19:05 PM

A few updates, but I'll answer the questions from the previous posts.

@BadLogic, Yes, I did drain the battery and charge it again (powered off) but the weak battery message is still appears after boot.

@deciwizard, I would belive not. BIOS is a software update that is provided by the company BUT you never know what clauses companies come up with. So, it better that you call Lenovo and confirm. I won't be able to tell you. I am not sure the BIOS update will make any difference though. The state is same as you described before and after the BIOS update.

So, I left my laptop off the entire day, booted it on battery, it booted, this for me is a big thing, because my battery would be 0% after shutdown, or the next day when I powered it on. I drained the battery completely, and then charged it again. It works. BUT, the battery indicator has gone completly bonkers. I didn't have the time or the patience to see its state through the discharge but it's totally wrong. It shows incorrect time and incorrect percentage. I've also downloaded a utility by CPU-Z called Hardware Monitor, but it too, shows what the indicator tells it. I don't know how the battery indicator works, but I believe there is some driver software that talks with the Battery hardware and communicates with the OS. No idea what is defective here. The battery hardware or the circuit that relays the information to the OS. This Lenovo needs to figure out and fix.

If there was a fault with the battery my laptop shouldn't be running on battery mode and that too so well. A One Key Reset switch has triggered some internal event and has made things work, and only Lenovo knows what it could have done.

Is someone from Lenovo following this post? How do we get them to look at this?, as we have decent information for their investigation to provide a fix.

Karan

Options

10 Posts

07-11-2015

IN

10 Signins

116 Page Views

• Message 139 of 476

2015-07-12, 19:17 PM

Okay, my laptop crashed 5 mins after the previous post. It was on battery mode for just 15 minutes. I had charged it for an hour with power off. It had 100% battery. I have put it on charge and it is starting from 0%. 

I have no idea what's happening. Yesterday, it stayed on for 3 hours on battery mode and now for just 15 mins. I'll try a guage reset again tomorrow and see.

Karan

Options

11 Posts

07-07-2015

India

12 Signins

78 Page Views

• Message 140 of 476

2015-07-12, 21:51 PM
When restarted after draining (which by the assuming 100% charge battery laptop ran 3.5 hrs with 0% indicated) I charged for 1.5 hrs and it charges extremely slowly. It was showing 40% so unplugged it. I used some internet and it shut down in 15 min (again it is actually software malfunctioning not battery). I restarted it again with 0% showing but it was charging again, same thing happened when unplugged at around 30%. Next I started it again recharging started at 0% this time I left it charging for 2.5 hrs while heavy using and now it is showing 99% charged lets what happens tomorrow when boot it.
I truly believe some lenovo representative should respond to this forum. What is the point to open a complaints forum and not even respond.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms