10-02-2017

GB

15 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 21 of 31

Re: Lenovo Z580 will not start - Black Screen [SOLVED]

2017-10-03, 19:58 PM

I have this problem, a black screen, and nothing I do will let me see ANYTHING on the display so I don't know if USB booting is enabled and even if it is I can't see any text on the screen to controll the BIOS update.

All I get is the icons above the keyboard are lit and the CPU fan spins and the battery is being charged that's all.

Options

20 Posts

12-15-2014

US

34 Signins

239 Page Views

• Views: 239
  • Message 22 of 31

2017-10-21, 19:24 PM

How can I do step 1 in the second part if my pc never starts and is always black?

Options

1 Posts

03-05-2019

PL

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 23 of 31

2019-03-05, 18:40 PM

Torpilot, your solution save my z580. I was really thinking about something new, thanks to you there is no need for new notebook.

Options

8 Posts

10-05-2015

DK

14 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 24 of 31

2019-03-08, 15:23 PM

Hi Scoobydoo19911

I am very pleased with your feedback and hear that my guide has brought life to yet another nearly dead Lenovo Laptop.

My post has been written for a long time ago. Nice that it can still be used.

Many friendly greetings from

Torpilot

Options

3 Posts

06-04-2019

US

4 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 25 of 31

2019-06-04, 4:21 AM
Hi Torpilot,

I had same symptoms as you but I could never get the laptop to boot up and so couldn't flash the BIOS. I opened up the motherboard , located the BIOS ROM, desoldered it and programmed it with the ROM file your link pointed to and soldered it back on the board.

After assembling the system, it does not power on now. Has anyone tried this method?

Thanks
Options

1 Posts

06-04-2019

IN

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 26 of 31

2019-06-04, 19:31 PM

Hey,

First of all thanks for such a detailed post. I have been facing exact same issue since very long time. It has gotten worse every passing day. I read your post 3 days ago and ever since i am trying to start my laptop but it doesn't work. Is there anyway to flash bios without normal boot procedure? Fn + B will it work if normal bios doesn't boot up ? 

Also i had read somewhere that by shorting cmos/ bios ic you can get it working for once. Had you tried that or do you have any idea how can i try that

Options

1 Posts

07-18-2019

GR

2 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 27 of 31

2019-07-18, 7:29 AM

First of all I'm sorry for my bad English . (google translate) I also face the same problem in the same type of laptop. I bought my lenovo z580   in 2014 with windows 8 and 2 years ago I made the free upgrade of the windows 10. About a month ago started not open the screen when I pressed the power button. in the begining is open in 5 attempts after 10. And now 30-40 times and if it's absolutely cold for 7-8 times. I wonder if the solution you give in the problem above can work in the windows 10 the bios i have is 5fcn91ww

I tried to upgrade the bios from the lenovo site but I failed.
i  make a bootable usb with another computer with windows 10 and it's done but i can not get into the lenovo bios mode to activate the boot from usb because when (through the windows because novo button dont work ) I go to choose to see the bios menu I have a black screen and I have to do a restart 30-40 times or let it cool for 2-3 hours so the effort is gone.  Any solution please ?
thank's
Nikitas

Options

2 Posts

02-22-2020

US

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 28 of 31

Re:Lenovo Z580 will not start - Black Screen [SOLVED]

2020-02-22, 21:21 PM
First of all thanks a ton torpilot for posting this solution. Around a few weeks ago my z580 lap started showing these symptoms. The story is here. I usually does not update windows 7 and had disabled all updates. But a few weeks ago I decided to update windows 7 and installed all updates. After that windows asked me to restart and I saw black screen after restartig. I waited a few hours thinking that it might be part of the windows update process. But later I understood that its something else like a 'hang' and manually restarted using the power button. Then I found that windows is currupted showing weird resolution and no fonts in in desktop icons i.e. i got a completely insane windows. I tried repairing the windows using several ways but nothing worked. Finally i backed up my files using a windows 7 live cd and restored lenovo recovery partition image and then everything started working well. But since then i noticed this black screen problem whenever i turn off or restart the laptop. At first i needed two or three restarts for the lap to boot up. But later it went worse and needed more than 10 restarts. So I started searching for solutions. I completely disassembled my laptop, removed hard disk, cd drive, battery etc. Then cleaned motherboard and cpu fan throroughly, then turned on laptop having only motherboard and ram in it. I changed ram module and found that the issue still exists. I checked cmos battery and it was having correct volatge. I was suspecting the bios also. But i was afraid to do a bios upgrade as its risky. My thought was like, Atleast my laptop is booting after several restarts, so if anything goes wrong while bios update it will completely destroy the laptop. So i stayed away from doing a bios upgrade and continued using the way it is. But day by day I started get ting irritated fa**bleep**g this problem and finally today I decided to do a bios update through the original method. I first backed up my current rom using a backup tool and downloaded bios update from lenovo site and ran it. But it showed an error 1604 that it couldn't read current bios. I tried many times but the same error appeared everytime. Seeing this error I strongly doubted that a currupt bios could be the issue. So I googled the error number and fortunately google pointed me to your post. And there it goes. I followed your procedure and now everything works well. Again thanks a ton for your post. I have a question for you. Currently installed modded bios v 3.1 and system is now working well. Is there any problem if I continue using the lap in this modded bios or do i need to upgrade it to the original bios through lenovo website? Awaiting your reply Regards Rashid
Options

8 Posts

10-05-2015

DK

14 Signins

82 Page Views

• Views: 82
  • Message 29 of 31

2020-04-28, 18:12 PM

Hi Rashid.

If your PC runs smoothly then I would not upgrade the BIOS.

There is always a risk associated with a BIOS upgrade, and why run that risk when everything works?

Nice to hear that my post still works and makes people happy - even my post has been written for a long time ago.

Many friendly greetings from

Torpilot

Options

6 Posts

11-17-2020

PL

8 Signins

125 Page Views

• Views: 125
  • Message 30 of 31

2020-11-18, 14:42 PM

Great job Torpilot!!! 

It's unbelievable that this topic has a few years and it's still helping people!

The worst part was to "catch the moment" to boot the USB but I've finally managed and after that Laptop is starting from the first time.

What I've observed for now is that sleeping mode is unavailable but I can go without that :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete