05-13-2013

Iron Mountain, Michigan

20 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo y480 d3d9/d3d Errors

2014-02-02, 8:47 AM

Hello. I've posted this question to several other forums across the internet, but no one seems to have an answer for me, so I figured that I should try here. My Lenovo y480 has been having some serious issues playing some of my Steam games recently, such as Rising Storm, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Rust, Sins of a Solar Empire, and others. My laptop has the gt 650 in it, which accompanies an Intel HD 4000 in an Optimus setting, and every time I try to play one of these games I have one of several possible errors. Either the game will launch into a low-res windowed mode, which will crash and give an error message about a d3d9 or a d3d error, sometimes accompanied by a flashing black or white screen, if I set it to the highest resolution (1366x768) or if I set it to fullscreen mode. This happens with Rust and Chivalry. With rising storm, the game immediately crashes and gives a d3d error message (failed to create d3d device) on a white screen. I've tried changing the default resolution in the games' config files to my standard resolution, as well as updating my drivers and directx. However, nothing has been able to fix these issues. Can anyone possibly tell me what is causing this, and how to fix it? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Solved! See the solution
Options

3 Posts

02-02-2014

AZ, USA

1 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo y480 d3d9/d3d Errors

2014-02-02, 18:19 PM

I was having similar issues a few months ago on my y480... Except my PC would crash entirely whenver I ran something that used the Nvidia GPU. I had to use an older Nvidia driver (the R331 driver to be exact, I have the Nvidia 640M LE card though) and it fixed the issue. I'm not sure if it will help you since it only seems to be happening with SOME games and the issues you're having vary a lot more than mine did.

Sorry I don't have any further input.

Good luck.

Options

17 Posts

05-13-2013

Iron Mountain, Michigan

20 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo y480 d3d9/d3d Errors

2014-02-02, 21:06 PM
Thanks for the help! I followed your advice and looked for some older drivers, and in the process I noticed that there were several newer drivers that my GeForce Experience had not informed me of. I downloaded the latest drivers and a newer version of GeForce Experience, and it fixed all of the issues I was having. I definitely should have thought of manually updating the drivers beforehand. Thanks!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms